Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

10 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Thinking pragmatically, which players do people think this will benefit? 

I know a lot of people have aired the idea that this would work against Max Bird, but I actually think the opposite. Warne used Barlaser as their defensive central midfielder and essentially made him a key component in their team. I also think Knight and Cashin are likely to benefit. I'd imagine Dobbin will likely move to a striker position, alongside Collins/McGoldrick. Osula fits the type of striker that Rotherham have been very successful at implementing and the rumour was that Warne wanted him at Rotherham this season. 

Based on how he's had Rotherham line up in games (home and away) in both the latter part of last season, and this. I would imagine we will be playing something like - ignoring Wildsmith in goal: 

Davies
Chester                                           Cashin

The back three usually has one deep lying centre back, in their case Richard Wood - in ours most likely Curtis Davies. The other two centre backs play quite wide and quite a distance in front of Davies. This was true in all the ones I've seen from last season and this. I think Stearman, Roberts, Rooney and perhaps even Forsyth are likely to play and cover here behind the three above. 

Bird
Barkhuizen        Knight          Hourihane      Mendez-Laing

The central midfield three pivot around a central point, in their case Barlaser - in our case most likely Bird. Barlaser usually touches the ball more than any other Rotherham player. The other two central midfielders usually touch the ball between the 6-11th placed players in the team. I believe these are essentially used to reduce space and create opportunities. They're likely to gamble more than most. Knight for his energy will almost certainly be a permanent fixture in the team. Smith will probably sit behind him to cover. The lack of a number 10 probably means Sibley will be vying with Hourihane for game time. The wide two positions usually have a one more attacking than the other, therefore you could potentially see Barkhuizen/Mendez-Laing on one side with Roberts/Forsyth on the other - this will no doubt alternate based on a number of factors. 

Collins         McGoldrick

The front two are probably the easiest to call, with Collins and McGoldrick the likely first choice at this point. Dobbin will get a lot of opportunities in this position, possibly even Sibley too. Paul Warne wanted Osula at Rotherham too, reportedly, so perhaps look out for him. He usually likes the physical aspect in strikers, i.e. Ladapo, Kieffer Moore...etc. Not usually the most technically gifted footballers but disruptive. I don't think he walks straight into the team but definitely see some opportunities for him. 

All in all, I'm confident the team we put together in the summer actually complements the system that Warne has implemented at Rotherham. I believe the biggest shift will be in the likes of Bird, who will need to improve but can actually take huge strides in his career mirroring Barlaser who most would've said was an inferior player. I also think the system opens the door to Rooney, who I believe will eventually win a place in the team and based on what I've seen will hold it down.

The only other thing I noted, to no surprise, was how compact his teams play together. You can definitely see a well drilled team purely by looking at the data and aggregate player positions over the course of the game. 

I think your likely to see the best of bird and collins 

If what u say is right… and i think u are then bird will have more options AHEAD of him to hit instead of just one quite isolated front man and collins will have at least another body around him.

im also expecting more crosses and a general quicker delivery of balls into the box which is what collins has thrived off throughout his career 

1 hour ago, Jayram said:

Yes in all honesty. I’m not advocating for LR in this situation, just cannot believe we’ve given a 4 year deal to someone whose footballing style is so one dimensional. 

I know it’s just a case of gut feeling either way , there are a few questions though that we as fans don’t know the answers to, we know derby and Liam were talking 

how long a contract did Liam want ?

how much did he want ?

any budget commitments?

warne on 4 years , would it be prudent if he got us up ,couldn’t cut it in the championship and we paid off remaking contract?
how much is warn on?
do you feel he brings better experienced staff with him?

there’s a lot to work out and it really comes down to the owner and how he sees things , he has put his money in to save the club and will use his judgement on what’s best to take us forward,

my gut feeling was Liam was not the man and from what I can see warne is a good shout and doesn’t seem a rushed job

I'm really hard to be positive about this appointment, I love the open honesty Paul Warne shows in his interviews and there's no denying he's been great for Rotherham, I am just wary that sometimes, when you are a club legend as a player, and then go on to manage the team, it is easier to galvanise that squad and instil respect for yourself with the players.

I see it as it's either going to spectacularly flop or spectacularly flourish, with no middle ground.

So, in summary, bookmark me, @ me, and in a couple of years will look back at my spot on predication that Paul Warne will either succeed or fail as Derby County manager......

Reading that the club are set to appoint a new Chair, went to see what David Clowes was listed as, the answer is a director but also noticed the club have updated the who’s who page again on the official site.

Wouldn’t read too much into it, I think it’s just to clear up any confusion until the meetings have taken place next week to organise the back room. This will change again no doubt.

5EFE3CC2-366B-4C53-903E-20A6A4767E1C.jpeg

1 hour ago, Jayram said:

Yes in all honesty. I’m not advocating for LR in this situation, just cannot believe we’ve given a 4 year deal to someone whose footballing style is so one dimensional. 

When you have a £ shop budget then there's only a certain area you can shop, Making silk purses out of sows ears can be a time-consuming effort if at all, Talent in the football field either becomes an expense venture or you work within the means set out by the Chairman.

DCFC and LR had done a tremendous amount of work scouting, Ringing players/agents, Begging other teams for loans, What we have is a team on paper as good as any and arguably better that the rest in League1, What we haven't been able to do is come to terms with the style of play, Physicality and pace in this division, LRs mantra is keep ball and play through the opposition, Charlton and Lincoln away shows what happens when you lose the ball, Shrewsbury and Fleetwood shows what happens when they pack their defence.

Referring back to the "silk purses" we have them, They just need that little bit of education and mental attitude of how to go about this division, Paul Warne I would have thought knows more than most of what's needed, 1st to compete, Then to beat the others, Will he succeed...who knows, Would LR have succeeded...again who knows.

Reading the minutes that have been posted I get the feeling...rightly or wrongly that LR was finding things a little harder than maybe he 1st thought, His applauding all 4 quarters of the ground after beating WW went unnoticed by most who were there, Picked up by a poster on here, I'm sure that was LR saying thanks to all for your support.

Warne is able to mix his game up with different set ups, Teams who have watched us and knew how we played will now be wondering how will Warne set up against us ?    

51 minutes ago, Archied said:

warne on 4 years , would it be prudent if he got us up ,couldn’t cut it in the championship and we paid off remaking contract?

I would look at it from a different angle . If he is a huge success at Derby, other clubs will come in for him and having him tied to a long term deal would cost them £££ in compensation. It also suggests that DC is confident he can go all the way to the Prem.

3 hours ago, Justa said:

I purposely decided to sleep on it before posting anything about this !

I totally understand the split in opinions here and was really surprised myself when I first head the news yesterday.

It does appear odd, and the timing strange. I like LR, he is eloquent and passionate in his own little way. We are 7th in the league, after all the horrors of last season and beyond. To me that looks pretty good and I would have taken that at the start of the season if you had offered it.

But, I have always had a nagging feeling that LR might not be the right mine for the this job, particularly with regards to experience and know how to get out of this competitive league.

The away form has to change and is this within LR capability ? And then there are the last 3 games - I missed the capitulation against Plymouth as we were on holiday, the performance v Lincoln was pretty depressing and after 20 mins against Wycombe I turned round to the Mrs and said this is the worst first 20 mins I've ever seen by a Derby side.

Granted we turned it around and the second half was brilliant but perhaps the seeds of doubt were already sprouting by then ?

Of course alternatively, this could have been in Clowe's mind all along but whatever the reasons are I am really looking forward to getting behind Warne and lets hope that at the end of the season we will see this as a master stroke !

COYR !!!

Agree with everything you've posted.

I thought that Wayne Rooney was the man for us, but whilst he  did an amazing job in galvanizing the team and fans through one of the worst times ever, he didn't convince me that he was the right choice in the long term. He may have been a wonderful manager this season, operating in slightly less restrictive circumstances, but we'll never know. I will always have a lot of respect for him for his efforts.

Liam was only appointed as an interim manager and we have no way of knowing what conversations he has had with DC since he took over or what expectations he might have had or have been given. I hoped from the start that he would eventually be given the job, but it was not to be. So far this season we have been too inconsistent with very good games, a couple of shockers and real problems scoring away from home. A few players don't seem to be playing as well as they should be whether through lack of experience, wrong position or any number of reasons. Liam Rosenior is a really good guy, a brilliant communicator and so positive and upbeat, but like Wayne, he may not be our best bet going forwards due to a lack of experience and we don't have the luxury of time on our side. Like Wayne, he may well be a brilliant manager going forward and may still manage us in the future.

I've heard good things about Paul Warne on Radio Derby interviews this morning. I didn't get the name of the guy being interviewed but he spoke of his passion for his club, players and fans. Highly regarded by players and fans, the guy said he had seen him cry a few times when he spoke of his love for his club and players. Wears his heart on his sleeve, normally calm team talks at half time but can give the team both barrels if needed. He knows what is needed to get out of this league. If ever there was a glowing reference for a job, this was it. He is also a funny guy.

Feel sad for Liam, but hope his time will come. In the meantime I hope he stays with us for at least this season and learns much from our new and greatly experienced manager, possibly what to do and maybe what not to do. I think it will do Liam good to work under Paul and to take that valuable experience forward into his next appointment.

I wish Wayne, Liam, David Clowes and Paul Warne nothing but the very best. Who knows what this season will bring, but I feel that with Liam hopefully still on board, DC and PW and his backroom staff steering the ship and players (hopefully) playing in their favourite positions it'll be an exciting ride! ❤️?❤️? X

Edited by Miggins

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/efl-manager-makes-paul-warne-claim-following-derby-county-switch-from-rotherham-united/

"The Millers could have collapsed this term with Michael Ihiekwe and Michael Smith both deciding to leave the club in the summer – but they have done exceptionally well with the players they have at their disposal.

Some would argue they are lucky to have someone like Chiedozie Ogbene in their team – but they are still up against it this term considering the quality of many of their rivals in this league and the fact the likes of Sunderland and Wigan Athletic have made a good start."

I think pw wasn't happy those players were sold, and might not be happy that ogbene, might be moving on, perhaps in January.

With pw bring his team with him, where does leave lr.

Especially as pw is bringing his assistant manager from Rotherham.

40 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

When you have a £ shop budget then there's only a certain area you can shop, Making silk purses out of sows ears can be a time-consuming effort if at all, Talent in the football field either becomes an expense venture or you work within the means set out by the Chairman.

DCFC and LR had done a tremendous amount of work scouting, Ringing players/agents, Begging other teams for loans, What we have is a team on paper as good as any and arguably better that the rest in League1, What we haven't been able to do is come to terms with the style of play, Physicality and pace in this division, LRs mantra is keep ball and play through the opposition, Charlton and Lincoln away shows what happens when you lose the ball, Shrewsbury and Fleetwood shows what happens when they pack their defence.

Referring back to the "silk purses" we have them, They just need that little bit of education and mental attitude of how to go about this division, Paul Warne I would have thought knows more than most of what's needed, 1st to compete, Then to beat the others, Will he succeed...who knows, Would LR have succeeded...again who knows.

Reading the minutes that have been posted I get the feeling...rightly or wrongly that LR was finding things a little harder than maybe he 1st thought, His applauding all 4 quarters of the ground after beating WW went unnoticed by most who were there, Picked up by a poster on here, I'm sure that was LR saying thanks to all for your support.

Warne is able to mix his game up with different set ups, Teams who have watched us and knew how we played will now be wondering how will Warne set up against us ?    

I read into that slightly differently, more of a thanks specific to the result and not the support in general.

The support got us over the line in Wycombe and Peterborough, certainly not his tactics

1 hour ago, hintonsboots said:

I would look at it from a different angle . If he is a huge success at Derby, other clubs will come in for him and having him tied to a long term deal would cost them £££ in compensation. It also suggests that DC is confident he can go all the way to the Prem.

Let’s start with baby steps and get out of the third tier. I am sure that Clowes is well aware of the mountain you have to climb in the Championship to get near to 4or 5 parachute teams supported with £33 million a year.

Last season and this season, Derby's home form has largely escaped criticism on this forum. With the benefit of our home support and the recruitment to date, that should continue not to be a problem for us. Rotherham took 52 points at home last season and I hope we might exceed that total at Pride Park come the end of this season.

The away form has been poor over the past three seasons and continues to be so. No away goals and just just two league points on our travels in the first two months of the season indicated that there has to be a drastic turnaround away from home for us to challenge for an automatic promotion place this time around. The doubts among the fanbase about Liam Rosenior was whether or not he could turn around the away form any time soon and did he have sufficient experience of Division One to overcome the disappointing away returns witnessed so far? Did he have a Plan B and was he prepared to modify playing out from the back, which might be better suited to the Championship?

Warne in contrast has a track record, which says he knows what is required to get us up and how to do it quickly.

Last season Rotherham's away record was P 23 W 12 D 6 L 5 F 27 A 11 Pts 42.

The 11 away goals conceded was outstanding; the next best away defence was Wigan's with 22 against.

If Warne can get us right on the road quickly then we may be in for a very exciting finish in 2023. I have to say that with Rosenior the best we could have probably hoped for was a play-off challenge.

Although, promotion this season was not seen as a must-do, following the takeover, I think the new owners have now viewed it as a real possibility with the right man in charge and that is why they have persuaded Warne and his staff to take the helm. Why hang around down here for longer if we can realistically get up this season?

Edited by Brailsford Ram

6 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Last season and this season, Derby's home form has largely escaped criticism on this forum. With the benefit of our home support and the recruitment to date, that should continue not to be a problem for us. Rotherham took 52 points at home last season and I hope we might exceed that total at Pride Park come the end of this season.

The away form has been poor over the past three seasons and continues to be so. No away goals and just just two league points on our travels in the first two months of the season indicated that there has to be a drastic turnaround away from home for us to challenge for an automatic promotion place this time around. The doubts among the fanbase about Liam Rosenior was whether or not he could turn around the away form any time soon and did he have sufficient experience of Division One to overcome the disappointing away returns witnessed so far? Did he have a Plan B and was he prepared to modify playing out from the back, which might be better suited to the Championship?

Warne in contrast has a track record, which says he knows what is required to get us up and how to do it quickly.

Last season Rotherham's away record was P 23 W 12 D 6 L 5 F 27 A 11 Pts 42.

The 11 away goals conceded was outstanding; the next best away defence was Wigan's with 22 against.

If Warne can get us right on the road quickly then we may be in for a very exciting finish in 1923. I have to say that with Rosenior the best we could have probably hoped for was a play-off challenge.

Although, promotion this season was not seen as a must-do, following the takeover, I think the new owners have now viewed it as a real possibility with the right man in charge and that is why they have persuaded Warne and his staff to take the helm. Why hang around down here for longer if we can realistically get up this season?

1923 ? Will we playing 2-3-5 ?

2 hours ago, Taribo said:

So, in summary, bookmark me, @ me, and in a couple of years will look back at my spot on predication that Paul Warne will either succeed or fail as Derby County manager......

Isn't that what all managers do ? Or am I missing something, if it was a 'funny' , then maybe a cheeky emoji ?

Edited by nfb