Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

5 hours ago, Carnero said:

The people who used to use "xG" the defend results under Rosenior now never mention "xG" under Warne. I'm not a fan of "xG" but I did check the other day and noted that one site has us ranked 3rd in the league for total expected goals and one site has us 4th for "expected results based on xG".

That xg points total that has us in 4th, makes us 9 points ahead of Plymouth and Barnsley. If ever you needed any proof that it's a load of rubbish, it's got Notts in 12th.🤔

16 hours ago, ram59 said:

The normal form table of 6 games shows Sheff Wed on 4 points from those 6 games including 3 points from the last 4 games against those the so called dross, Forest Green, Cheltenham, Lincoln and Oxford. You could make the same statement about Darren Moore, incidently, we picked up 13 points from those 6 fixtures.

It's very easy to produce stats, to 'prove' an argument, just like my stats, which are unbalanced.

At no point have I said he should be sacked but yeah absolutely Wednesday should be concerned by their current form and if you look on their socials they absolutely are…

On 08/04/2023 at 08:15, IlsonDerby said:

My concern is that I’m starting to think the mix of good football and direct football that we saw during the unbeaten run was more a hangover from Roseniors instructions and now we’re aimlessly launching it forwards with very little in terms of incisive good play on the ground. 

Let us be very clear, despite a tough start we had the higher xG than our opposition in every game under Rosenior and it was our finishing which was woeful. 

I think what worries me is we’re all hoping that he gets some players in that’ll make his style work and we’ll be successful but the other option is we fill the team with absolute cloggers and athletes at the expense of technical ability and we’re shown to still be falling short but we’re now left with a squad full of hoof merchants. 

My main fear is that he fills the team that makes his style work. 
I like to think that our expectations are that the team plays with a modicum of passing ability, not the kick it long predictable tripe that he has got the team playing recently. 
I think his managerial style is more suited to Rotherham, Barnsley & Wigan type clubs (no offence meant to any of them). 

54 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Paul Warne knows how to keep players on their toes , even near the end of a long hard season. No player wants to be a sub , so keep them guessing , who’s going to get a shirt.

To what end and who benefits? Lots of short contract players most of whom might feel it is easy to move on.

This thread has a sad inevitability about it.

Whether it's now, tomorrow, next week, next year or whenever, half of the fans will say that he was never suitable and they said all along that he should go, and the other half will still be defending him.

I know that this is modern day football in a nutshell but wasn't it nice last year when these kind of debates didn't happen, everybody was pulling in the same direction and just being supporters in its purest sense.

29 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

Whether it's now, tomorrow, next week, next year or whenever, half of the fans will say that he was never suitable and they said all along that he should go, and the other half will still be defending him.

I know that this is modern day football in a nutshell but wasn't it nice last year when these kind of debates didn't happen, everybody was pulling in the same direction and just being supporters in its purest sense.

You mean last year when everyone was saying how happy they'll be if in a year's time all the talk is about the players, manager, team selections, tactics and performances rather than EFL punishments and administration etc?

Can't say I remember it being a particularly nice experience.

41 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

image.thumb.png.98e556d7d0554fcf45ac0370d11b2e11.png

33 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

People did exactly what they are doing now, debating team selections and criticisng the playing style (playing out from the back).  Not sure things are ever any different to be fair.

44 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

To what end and who benefits? Lots of short contract players most of whom might feel it is easy to move on.

The team benefits from healthy competition...leaving players out who might be on short term deals ? so what? same as playing players on short term deals they'll still see it as easy to move on either way

29 minutes ago, S8TY said:

The team benefits from healthy competition...leaving players out who might be on short term deals ? so what? same as playing players on short term deals they'll still see it as easy to move on either way

And you keep your place if there's an 'r' in the month and it's not raining?

1 hour ago, Archied said:

I’m pleased with warne as our manager , the one that puzzled me was barks disappearing from the side when I thought he was about our most in form player 

I've noticed he's often used an inhaler before coming on as a sub, perhaps it's as simple as he's been struggling with his asthma?

Warne's not the man to take us forward. 

Why the hell did he change our tactics in the second half, going back to the archaic hoof ball rather than the quick passing football we played in the first half? I just know he couldn't bear the fact we were playing decent football along the floor in the first and wanted to go back to hoofing it every third pass.

Normally the second half's under Warne, he gets outfought tactically by the opposition manager, but not today. MK Dons didn't even do anything to stop us playing like we did in the first half in the second, Warne just decided to go back to his god awful tactics of hoof ball. Then our "Plan B" is pass to Mendez-Laing and cross. It doesn't work. 

I was actually really pleased with the first half and was hoping we'd turned a corner in terms of tactics, but that second half made that hope disappear quickly.

Then you have his neglect of the academy which is a discussion for another day. 

If the last 3 months are anything to go by we're in for a long, boring 3 and a half years of shocking football.

3 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Why the hell did he change our tactics in the second half, going back to the archaic hoof ball rather than the quick passing football we played in the first half? I just know he couldn't bear the fact we were playing decent football along the floor in the first and wanted to go back to hoofing it every third pass.

Normally the second half's under Warne, he gets outfought tactically by the opposition manager, but not today. MK Dons didn't even do anything to stop us playing like we did in the first half in the second, Warne just decided to go back to his god awful tactics of hoof ball. Then our "Plan B" is pass to Mendez-Laing and cross. It doesn't work. 

I was actually really pleased with the first half and was hoping we'd turned a corner in terms of tactics, but that second half made that hope disappear quickly.

If the last 3 months are anything to go by we're in for a long, boring 3 and a half years of shocking football.

Where is the balance in people’s thinking? I get it’s frustrating not to win after being so dominant. How can you attribute all the blame for the second half to Warne yet somehow act like the first half was in spite of him not because of him?! It’s nonsensical. 
I agree the second half wasn’t as good, but to ignore that MK Dons made a substitution at half time which is clear evidence of them changing approach doesn’t make sense. 
Warne was guilty in that second half, as he has been repeatedly for a few weeks, of not making changes earlier than needed and perhaps of not tweaking the formation when we were chasing a goal to get Sibley further up.  If the players had taken the chances created using Warne’s tactics in the first half we’d have won comfortably and people would all probably feel a little more balanced. 

4 hours ago, Loughborough Ram said:

I think that this was happening mainly because of the dire situation we were in as a club but in a small part down to the fact that the team was clearly playing in a way that was greater than the sum of its parts. 

4 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Where is the balance in people’s thinking? I get it’s frustrating not to win after being so dominant. How can you attribute all the blame for the second half to Warne yet somehow act like the first half was in spite of him not because of him?! It’s nonsensical. 
I agree the second half wasn’t as good, but to ignore that MK Dons made a substitution at half time which is clear evidence of them changing approach doesn’t make sense. 
Warne was guilty in that second half, as he has been repeatedly for a few weeks, of not making changes earlier than needed and perhaps of not tweaking the formation when we were chasing a goal to get Sibley further up.  If the players had taken the chances created using Warne’s tactics in the first half we’d have won comfortably and people would all probably feel a little more balanced. 

Today’s result wasn’t the fault of Warne. It was abysmal finishing from players who should be doing better. 

That being said the players still don’t look well coached. Said to me dad in the first half ‘they fire the ball to NML and then leave him isolated to try and beat 2 defenders every time. Where is the coaching to support him and help take the defenders away or to utilise the space vacated when two players double up on NML?’ 

16 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Disappointing but still in with a shout, Warne is going nowhere…..on to the next one 😊

In the first half we had the press perfect. Taking the ball from them high up the pitch and creating gilt edged chances. 2nd half started and all our players “Sat off”. I refuse to believe Warne would have told them to do this. We must have run out of steam after 45 mins.