Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

We were incredibly dismissive of Warne and unfairly so. A pound shop Rowett, some said. The next Jewell, some said. The next Pearson, some said. Taking a leaf out of the Mel Morris playbook, some said.

It was so bad that some respected posters have gone into complete hiding knowing they well and truly overreacted to his appointment.

I don't recall many, or indeed any such comments on here. 

Prove it.

44 minutes ago, Rev said:

Prove it.

Here are some from earlier in this thread:

On 21/09/2022 at 16:49, nottingram said:

Warne also seems like a bit of an accident waiting to happen.

Zero goodwill with Derby fans, only ever had one job where he seems to be good in one league and very limited in the league above. Style of play always struck me as quite Rowett-y and probably more suited to a smaller underdog style club.

On 21/09/2022 at 17:18, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I don't want this guy.  He's been at Rotherham a long time for someone whose been promoted  up and down.  No one else want's him it seems ?.  Another one who will be learning, albeit in a different form, to manage players who've played at a high level were shouting a lot probably won't work.  Plus he's a bell end.  It's a fat no from me.

On 21/09/2022 at 17:19, Ghost of Clough said:

His highest finish was 22nd (relegated).

He's spent 6 seasons teaching his side to play an aggressive, direct, long ball game. Is he going to change his style to suit the player we have, who have a possession based game drilled into them for an even longer period of time? Are the players going to be able to adapt?

On 21/09/2022 at 17:42, bimmerman said:

Between this guy (if he's appointed) and Jamie Paterson as to which is the dumbest move

Genuinely if it happens I think I'll be done with football

On 21/09/2022 at 18:38, Jayram said:

Not impressed by the idea of Warne. He might ‘know’ League One but he sure as hell doesn’t know the Championship otherwise he wouldn’t keep taking Rotherham back down every time they get promoted. It strikes me that he’s just another meat and potatoes manager - if he was that good someone else would have come in for him by now. We should have given LR till the end of the year at least.

On 21/09/2022 at 18:49, duncanjwitham said:

For me anyway, it’s not so much about Rosenior being sacked as the guy apparently replacing him.  IMO the root of all of the problems under Mel Morris was lurching between managers of differing styles every 5 minutes.  On the surface, it appears like we’re making exactly the same mistake again, barely a few months into Clowes ownership.

And if Warne is being bought in to play a complete different style to what he did at Rotherham, then that’s equally baffling.  Why appoint a manager in the expectation he’ll do the exact opposite of what he did at his previous club?

On 21/09/2022 at 19:12, BramcoteRam84 said:

My mates just sent me a hilarious prank on what’s app, a tweet from what must be a John Percy spoof account saying Liam Rosenior is no longer interim manager and we want to replace him with Paul Warne. ?????

What the f*** are we doing? A young progressive manager who is ready and who has players to a large degree to suit how we want to play and we want to replace him with a manager who let’s face it practices anti football which we don’t have the personnel to play!  This is beyond bonkers!! A complete and utter head f*** ???

What is it now, 100 days since Clowes took over, where’s the structure? Where’s the recruitment team? What’s the plan to stop fans running the club making decisions as fans?! Brighton and Brentford is the model we need to follow if we want to be successful yet sustainable. This is the type of decision Mel Morris would make!! I just can’t get my head round it. No chance Rosenior stays in a support role. 

I hope Warne turns us down. 

On 21/09/2022 at 20:59, plymouthram said:

Warne may fit the bill with his previous success at League one level, but does his style of play fit the bill with our current squad. I think this could be a massive mistake by the hierarchy at this club. I hope I am wrong, or perhaps Warne might adapt a different style of play, than his Rowett/ball kind of tactics/style.

On 21/09/2022 at 21:02, therealhantsram said:

Very worried about this. I have visions of Rowett Mk II and Bird being sold in January for a pittance as Warne says "he's not my kind of player"

On 21/09/2022 at 21:27, BramcoteRam84 said:

Random manager choices (as Warne clearly is, in no way a good fit for Derby in terms of personnel to fit his style of play or experience of this size of club ) is exactly what will ensure we’re in league 1 for years 

On 21/09/2022 at 22:57, LeedsCityRam said:

Very, very disappointed. Rosenior was exactly the type of manager I wanted at Derby...progressive, bright, levelheaded & wanted to play the game the right way.

I cannot accept that 7th place, only outside the playoffs on goal difference is a disappointing position to be after 9 games & would love to hear the rationale for Rosenior not being given the chance to manage until Christmas at least. Performances have largely been good (with the only real exception of Lincoln) & only poor finishing has prevented us from being 4th/5th - that would surely have improved as the team became more familiar with each other.

It was also apparent that the players bought into Rosenior. He was directly responsible for bringing some of our more impressive names to the club & the squad adapted very quickly to his style of play. I'm really not sure what more he could have done & to be offered a coaching demotion after that is really disrespectful. He wasn't a caretaker manager & I'd be amazed if he stayed.

As for Paul Warne, have to smile at some of the optimism from those who automatically equate any change as progress. If you thought Rowett was tough to watch, just wait until you've seen a few weeks of Warne's direct & basic style. His teams are frankly anti-football - hit into the channels, horrible agricultural midfielders better without the ball than with it & an obsession with set pieces. Irrespective of Rotherham's resources, it is a conscious decision to set teams up to play in that style & I would think it naive to hope Warne is going to play better football given Derby's greater resources - especially galling given the patient style we have employed to date. It smacks of another Clement-Pearson-McClaren-Rowett swing in philosophy.

Some may also point to Warne's promotion record but below is his full record since taking charge of Rotherham in 2016/17 - nothing in here that indicates he has the pedigree to make Derby successful from a long term perspective;

image.thumb.png.adfbf73d53bf8ebc164d5ae31f49d85d.png

On 22/09/2022 at 07:18, ashram said:

Sorry but WTAF! is wrong with our club and the people who run it/own it?

Rotherham's manager!! Rotherham!!!

Liam Rosenior has spent the summer assembling a very decent squad in L1 or indeed the Championship.

And we sit essentially in the play-offs, and with not even 10 games played he's moved aside(unless he doesn't want the gig?)

Utterly ridiculous. I could maybe... just maybe...? understand if Arsene Wenger or some other managerial legend was making a come back?

But a guy who bounces his team between L1 and the Championship. Madness!!

However I suppose that after 50+ years supporting this great club I shouldn't expect anything different!

On 22/09/2022 at 10:43, Leeds Ram said:

Not a fan of this decision. It absolutely stinks of short term thinking which I thought we'd all had enough of under Mel. In the long term Warne has not shown he can do an adequate job in the second division which is where we want to be. As a result of this we're ripping up the playbook 11 games in and giving the reigns to a bloke who's style of football is antithetical to the one we've been playing? I just can't make it make sense. I agree Rosenior could have done better, I've felt at times quite critical of our tactics and performances even when we've won games but this is a damn stupid appointment. 

On 22/09/2022 at 12:01, bcnram said:

Hasn’t Warne had four or five seasons to build a side capable of staying in the Championship more than one season? Why has he failed at that? I hoped for better decisions from our Chairman. 

There were also some "the next Nigel Pearson" early on that I should have copied in.

2 hours ago, Jourdan said:

We were incredibly dismissive of Warne and unfairly so. A pound shop Rowett, some said. The next Jewell, some said. The next Pearson, some said. Taking a leaf out of the Mel Morris playbook, some said.

It was so bad that some respected posters have gone into complete hiding knowing they well and truly overreacted to his appointment.

Let’s have some ‘missing’ poster’s names to support this rather amusing rant.

Edited by i-Ram

15 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

There were also some "the next Nigel Pearson" early on that I should have copied in.

12 members of the forum there, from a membership of how many?

3 minutes ago, Rev said:

12 members of the forum there, from a membership of how many?

And, as far as I know, they are all still posting. They haven't gone into 'complete hiding'! 

I wasn't Warne's biggest fan when he was at Rotherham  and his interviews (and constant swearing on the We Are Derby clips) still irritate me. But the players seem to be responding well to all that, so what do I know? 

The football took a while to gel for him, he learnt from his earlier mistakes, particularly regarding the back three, and now we're looking good. The biggest positive for me is our fitness levels.

I'm not sure why we've got to be 100% for or 100% against. Can't we just say when we like something - a three man midfield, for example - and when we don't? 

On 25/01/2023 at 17:46, The Last Post said:

Not a chance in hell...imo

Charlton 1 DCFC 0

Shrewsbury 0 DCFC 0

Fleetwood 0 DCFC 0

Lincoln 2 DCFC 0

4 games 0 goals for in the above LR games, Warne came in and had to re calibrate everything plus the kitchen sink, He's on record as saying our fitness is higher than under LR, PW has had cunning plan Bs where under LR we didn't have one, We'll never ever know how LR would have performed if he'd still been here...but one thing I'll put my sombrero on...we'd have lost that game last night.

LR assembled a group of players, PW  has moulded them into a physical force  

Spot on. I honestly believe that Liam was A) An enthusiast / theorist and B ) a great scout - Liam could spot a real player in the same way that Nigel could. Warne is is a man with flexible ideas but above all  clearly has the ability to get others to believe in them. A leader 

19 minutes ago, angieram said:

And, as far as I know, they are all still posting. They haven't gone into 'complete hiding'! 

I wasn't Warne's biggest fan when he was at Rotherham  and his interviews (and constant swearing on the We Are Derby clips) still irritate me. But the players seem to be responding well to all that, so what do I know? 

The football took a while to gel for him, he learnt from his earlier mistakes, particularly regarding the back three, and now we're looking good. The biggest positive for me is our fitness levels.

I'm not sure why we've got to be 100% for or 100% against. Can't we just say when we like something - a three man midfield, for example - and when we don't? 

Spot on, as always. 

I can't say I was overly enthused by his appointment, partly because of a loyalty to Liam, and partly because of that interview when we sent Wednesday and Rotherham down. 

Petty I know, but even @Carl Sagan expressed surprise at his appointment because of his apparent dislike of Derby County, presumably based on the same footage.

First page of this thread, for those interested, he must have missed it when compiling his list of negative posters.

However, I gave him a chance from the off, kept my counsel, not that anyone was hanging off my verdict, and I'm enjoying the season for what it is. 

Hard working team, hard working manager and support staff, great fans and the unity continues. 

2 hours ago, Jourdan said:

When the manager himself acknowledges that at least half of the fanbase didn’t want him and his team, that tells you all you need to know.

Doing the bounce when we get promoted? If I were Warne, I would be doing laps of the pitch cupping my ears. It’d be what we deserve.

He’s doing a cracking job and it’s a shame it’s taken us going 14 games unbeaten for him and his team to get some credit.

"We were incredibly dismissive", "What we deserve"? Speak for yourself. I'm sure Warne is far too intelligent to tar us all with the same brush and, if he'd been foolish enough to frequent social media sites, I'm sure he'd have realised that the relatively few prematurely overly negative comments were not necessarily representative of the majority. Whilst a lot of people may have had their doubts, the overwhelming majority (IMO) were prepared to give him a chance before passing judgement.

19 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I'm sure he'd have realised that the relatively few prematurely overly negative comments were not necessarily representative of the majority. Whilst a lot of people may have had their doubts, the overwhelming majority (IMO) were prepared to give him a chance before passing judgement.

The thing is, the bolded bits aren't mutually exclusive, and expressing doubts isn't necessarily being negative and shouldn't automatically be presented as such

...but of course it is.

There's plenty of value in keeping your powder dry, but it doesn't mean people should be castigated for offering up their initial reaction.

...but of course they are being.

Edited by Kokosnuss

25 minutes ago, Rev said:

Spot on, as always. 

I can't say I was overly enthused by his appointment, partly because of a loyalty to Liam, and partly because of that interview when we sent Wednesday and Rotherham down. 

Petty I know, but even @Carl Sagan expressed surprise at his appointment because of his apparent dislike of Derby County, presumably based on the same footage.

First page of this thread, for those interested, he must have missed it when compiling his list of negative posters.

However, I gave him a chance from the off, kept my counsel, not that anyone was hanging off my verdict, and I'm enjoying the season for what it is. 

Hard working team, hard working manager and support staff, great fans and the unity continues. 

I was surprised at the timing of the appointment as I thought LR had done pretty well in terms of recruitment and results on the pitch. I wasn’t sure that Warne was the right appointment but he has certainly exceeded my expectations. I also think LR will go on to be a good manager too.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Was I far wrong?

"His highest finish was 22nd (relegated).

He's spent 6 seasons teaching his side to play an aggressive, direct, long ball game. Is he going to change his style to suit the player we have, who have a possession based game drilled into them for an even longer period of time? Are the players going to be able to adapt?"

It took a mini injury crisis in defence to force him away from his favoured 5 at the back. For what ever reason, it clearly wasn't working. We won 2, drew 1 and lost 4. We haven't lost a single game since he reluctantly switched to 4 at the back.

The quality of football for large periods of most games under Warne has been poor. Fortunately, there have been some excellent spells, and the frequency of those good spells continues to increase.

No need to dig up the Pearson posts. I have no shame in admitting to it. However, you may have ignored the context. At the time of my post, his record as manager was as bad as Pearson's.

A few games in to his reign, I also stated it was a stick or twist point. Warne wasn't getting the best out of the players in those early games. A lot of the players looked confused and gave statements suggesting they had no idea what Warne wanted them to do, or Warne had no idea how to use them to their potential. There was a significant risk this wouldn't improve with the currnet crop of player, hence "stick or twist". Stick, and see the long term project through and get the players in he needed, or twist and get amanager in who could get more out of them.

Credit to Warne turning it around and  getting a lot more out of the players than most could have imagined.

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It took a mini injury crisis in defence to force him away from his favoured 5 at the back. For what ever reason, it clearly wasn't working. We won 2, drew 1 and lost 4. We haven't lost a single game since he reluctantly switched to 4 at the back.

I’m pretty sure that was the bulk of my criticism at the time too. He tried to change far too much too quickly, and performances were largely poor because of it.  It’s only when he was forced to change to a system much closer to what we were playing under Rosenior that we started doing well.

And even if you think he was the right man for the job, there’s no doubt in my mind that the way the 2 appointments and mass of signings were handled was absolutely stupid, given the restrictions we were under.

My question is a medical one. There has been a poster on here for the last two years who has been as negative as f***. Now he seems as happy as Larry, and can’t understand why one or two might be a little negative. Is he on some wonder drug, or has he had some HRT therapy, or has he just learnt the joy that can be found from being able to play a musical instrument ?

8D007FF0-FFAB-4E7A-A6CF-37D5CB0FA7E8.gif

Edited by i-Ram

3 hours ago, Rev said:

Prove it.

Read the first 10-15 pages of this very thread.

The comments are all there. I’ve not plucked any of it out of the sky.

If I quoted them all, I’d be here all night and have to charge an hourly rate.