Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

3 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I think not improving our league position despite the league position of opponents being on average lower than under Rosenior is poor. I wouldn’t demand promotion. Wouldn’t demand unbeaten runs. I just think 7th to 7th isn’t good enough when he had 3/4 of a season. 

It's disappointing not getting into the playoffs, it would be more disappointing losing in them.

I wasn't at the game nor did I watch it.

I came on here to get an update.

It doesn't add any value with certain people sticking the boot in. 

Theres a time for recriminations and today definitely isn't that time. 

You and others have a bit of decorum and respect. 

Edited by Tyler Durden

2 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

7th to 7th… 

I’ll back him to the hilt next season but I’ve got real doubts. 
I wish I could be one of our fans who has complete faith in him. It’d be more enjoyable! 

I don’t think many of us have “complete faith” in him. I reckon a lot of us would agree that he has under achieved to an extent (then again, how many of us would have considered 7th as a “better than expected” position at the start of the season?) but we also recognise the hand he was dealt. Reasonable criticism is fair enough but to describe his tenure as p1ss poor is ridiculously over the top.

1 hour ago, Malty said:

I’m not a fan so far. Too much territory based football, too defensive at home. Players out of position (not all forced). Form players being left on the bench.

I am hoping next year with his own squad we will be more of a team that suits Warnes style of play. But I fear it will be a variant of hoof ball. 🙁

Think you’re right. I don’t rate Warne’s football philosophy; he strikes me as a pound shop Rowett and I’m concerned about the kind of players he’s going to sign, but as he’s here for the duration it’s a case of having to suck it and see and get behind the team as always. 

Anyone willing to have a go at setting up an eleven better than Warne has over the course of the season? What magic formation there was or player you’d have put in a different system?

Rosenior was very smart with his recruitment, but we were left very limited. We had good players but a tiny squad with inexperienced mixed with over experienced and it wasn’t quite enough to get us over the finish line. We were always going to need a bit of luck, and in football when you are desperate for it you never get it and consistently over the season we didn’t get it. Although we bemoan refs how much is White conceading penalties down to inexperience, much like Davies today being too tired in his? 

And even saying that there’s some players, without naming because it doesn’t matter now and cba with the debates, who will feel they let themselves down today. Whether it’s composure in the opposition box, not looking after the ball or if I’m being blunt maaaybe just not wanting it enough in a big game I think there is some that are massively disappointed. Warne can’t affect those moments, it’s down to the players. They’ve been good over the season, but again just not quite good enough.

Also Warne can’t effect s**** refs 😉

Edited by TuffLuff

25 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

It's disappointing not getting into the playoffs, it would be more disappointing losing in them.

I wasn't at the game nor did I watch it.

I came on here to get an update.

It doesn't add any value with certain people sticking the boot in. 

Theres a time for recriminations and today definitely isn't that time. 

You and others have a bit of decorum and respect. 

Nope, sorry it's more disappointing to not get in them at all

27 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I trust Clowes. I just think we should be allowed to criticise Warne based on Feb and March. The squad we have, despite not being perfect - or too 2, shouldn’t have had a run like that spell. 

It's OK to criticize and you make a good case for the criticism, There's 3 games...Shrewsbury, Fleetwood and MK Dons, 9 points in the offing and 2 points taken, Sheff Wed coasting at the top then lose to Barnsley, Forest Green and Burton, Drop points against Bolton, Cheltenham, Lincoln, Oxford, Football isn't a perfect science I wish it was, I still believe we had a decent season with the players we signed last year, LR did a remarkable job with the collection he bought in.

It's going to be a very interesting close season with comings and goings, I expect the minimum next season is a top 6 finish, PW said in his after match interview...we failed, Failure next season and DC has(if still here)a decision to make, It's his club and he gets to call the tune.

14 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Anyone willing to have a go at setting up an eleven better than Warne has over the course of the season? What magic formation there was or player you’d have put in a different system?

Rosenior was very smart with his recruitment, but we were left very limited. We had good players but a tiny squad with inexperienced mixed with over experienced and it wasn’t quite enough to get us over the finish line. We were always going to need a bit of luck, and in football when you are desperate for it you never get it and consistently over the season we didn’t get it. Although we bemoan refs how much is White conceading penalties down to inexperience, much like Davies today being too tired in his? 

And even saying that there’s some players, without naming because it doesn’t matter now and cba with the debates, who will feel they let themselves down today. Whether it’s composure in the opposition box, not looking after the ball or if I’m being blunt maaaybe just not wanting it enough in a big game I think there is some that are massively disappointed. Warne can’t affect those moments, it’s down to the players. They’ve been good over the season, but again just not quite good enough.

Also Warne can’t effect s**** refs 😉

You’re right, we have had rotten luck with referees decision and todays against sheff wed is another example. Plus we’ve suffered with inexperienced players, such as Harvey White.

But we’ve also suffered from players playing out of position. Cashin (who was superb for most so the season) at times looks like he’s playing left back and was caught out a few times for pace. Knight is wasted at wing back. He does the job very well but really shouldn’t be playing there. Sibley isn’t fed the ball enough and is subbed off when he would be most effective when opposing players are tired. Dobbin was unplayable for a couple of weeks and Warne put him on the bench. 

Tactically we seem overly kean on playing long diagonal balls, despite bird and hourihane being perfectly good ball playing midfielders. Warne just wants to by-pass them. 

Warne bemoans our ineffectiveness from free kicks and corners … but what has he done about it? There is no inventiveness, it seems to be just hoofing the ball into the box and hoping. As is so often the case our corners seem to be simply an opportunity for the opposition to counter-attack. I’m more worried that we’ll conceded than score.

I really, really want us to be successful next season and I’m sure with his players we will improve our position in the league.

I genuinely fear that we will be watching more long ball stuff and have players that “chase down everything”, which is great, but it might be that we sacrifice skill for stamina and end up watching worse football.

I find it comical how quick everyone is to defend Warne. The denial of his faults is embarrassing, even if you're Warne in or out, people are making out him to be some God - he's clearly not. 

It can't be denied his record against top half teams is diabolical. 
We won 2/15 games under Warne against teams in the top half of the table. That's awful. Rosenior won 3 in more than half the games.

I truly believe we're in good hands. We've performed really well at times this season and not so well at others. Don't understand where this concern over his football philosophy has come from. People thinking he wants to sign a load of 6ft 7 cloggers. How about just give the bloke a chance before coming to such conclusions?

2 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

7th to 7th… 

I’ll back him to the hilt next season but I’ve got real doubts. 
I wish I could be one of our fans who has complete faith in him. It’d be more enjoyable! 

It’s not about complete faith ,, you just don’t get that in football unless you have Man City money and a pep , it’s about picking who you feel is best for the job and hoping the football gods smile on you , right man , right time , right luck , you either give a manager you believe is right the time to build or you keep jumping ship hoping to strike lucky , that’s the choice clowes has 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

I find it comical how quick everyone is to defend Warne. The denial of his faults is embarrassing, even if you're Warne in or out, people are making out him to be some God - he's clearly not. 

It can't be denied his record against top half teams is diabolical. 
We won 2/15 games under Warne against teams in the top half of the table. That's awful. Rosenior won 3 in more than half the games.

Where do you think this squad should have finished 

3 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

I trust Clowes. I just think we should be allowed to criticise Warne based on Feb and March. The squad we have, despite not being perfect - or too 2, shouldn’t have had a run like that spell. 

A significant factor in that run was the injury to Bird who was playing very well previously  and must have disrupted things

10 minutes ago, secretsquirrel said:

A significant factor in that run was the injury to Bird who was playing very well previously  and must have disrupted things

I can accept that being a big factor however I still think a manager worth his salt would have found his way through that. 

6 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I can accept that being a big factor however I still think a manager worth his salt would have found his way through that. 

Steve McClaren had the money to bring in Darren Bent and Tom Ince, but still couldn't find a way to replace Chris Martin.