Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Don't know Andicis just thought I'd see who I could catch.

Yank Big Fish GIF by SA Company

I somehow doubt that you intended that as a bait based on track record, I just don't think you have a good answer for the question.

18 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I somehow doubt that you intended that as a bait based on track record, I just don't think you have a good answer for the question.

Yes I do have a good answer, which should be obvious from the context of my post. 😄

On 08/05/2023 at 20:31, Carl Sagan said:

There have been two obvious faults to my mind, which I've highlighted in your post. And they are both strange. When on song, NML has clearly been one of our best players and major threats. But anyone can see he has huge fitness issues. It's presumably what's stopped him playing at a high level. I genuinely hadn't seen anything like it when he arrived - a player who only had 45 minutes in him and then walked the rest of the match he was on the field for. We built him up to be able to play for an hour, but there was a price, and that price is he's dropped off it the last several games and been totally ineffective, clearly exhausted physically and mentally. He needed a rest for maybe 2 or 3 weeks. It never came.

And then, this team that are pretty much the worst finishers in the division, saw Warne mainly play Sibley at left back and then when he finally had a sensible role in the team, always saw him hooked first, despite our often desperate need for that magic and inventiveness up front. Despite me reading that Warne said Sibley is "the best finisher at the club". 

So I understand your concerns and feel Warne can't have a blank cheque. And these two frustrations are what make me question his judgement more than anything. But, it's weird that all managers do stupid things. And Warne seems to do less than most. I would give him all of next season, when we're still under restrictions. Hopefully that works. Hopefully we're also building a fighting fund that we can't spend at the moment. But will be able to next summer. After that it becomes a major test of any manager, but the contract is simply too long to sack him now, and many performances have been decent enough to suggest we should stick with him. He is proven at this level, with this his worst season. And I feel the players have the ability, but bottled it and let him down. Overall, the manager has performed better than his charges.

Now that the umbongo restrictions appear to have been eased, DC has options.

1. Continue with an austere approach for this season whilst building a fulsome chest (the "Katie Price" option).

2. Allow earlier access to a chest which, whilst pleasing in it's own right, is more modestly proportioned (the "Kate Middleton" option).

Katie or Kate? Let the dice roll........🤣

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Now that the umbongo restrictions appear to have been eased, DC has options.

1. Continue with an austere approach for this season whilst building a fulsome chest (the "Katie Price" option).

2. Allow earlier access to a chest which, whilst pleasing in it's own right, is more modestly proportioned (the "Kate Middleton" option).

Katie or Kate? Let the dice roll........🤣

With my money I’d want both without the actual liability 

9 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

Interesting take home 

x2 players already in the pipe line and being shown around 

Warne off to conference play off final I’d like to think it could be Langstaff , Rodrigues  maybe Scott too 

Any idea who the 2 players Warne has shown around are?

2 hours ago, Blondest Goat said:

Good interview that.  Making all the right noises as far as I'm concerned.  All looking positive for next season.

Good to hear him calling out some of the concerns that arose regarding his approach in certain corners of our fan base as things he’s learned from. Saying he now knows we need a bigger a squad, that he stuck with players out of form and should have been more ruthless, and should have made subs more proactively is quite telling. For those who hold their concerns with Warne hopefully that is him seeing his own faults and next season we’ll see that he’s learned from the experience of this season and improve on those areas. 

7 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Good to hear him calling out some of the concerns that arose regarding his approach in certain corners of our fan base as things he’s learned from. Saying he now knows we need a bigger a squad, that he stuck with players out of form and should have been more ruthless, and should have made subs more proactively is quite telling. For those who hold their concerns with Warne hopefully that is him seeing his own faults and next season we’ll see that he’s learned from the experience of this season and improve on those areas. 

Rest assured mate, we'll be the judge of how well he's learnt......🤣

12 hours ago, Poynton ram said:

Any idea who the 2 players Warne has shown around are?

Derby county blog on titter says its josh vickers and wes harding … rotherham players who are out of contract 

vickers a gk, largly a munber two who seems happy to be so but has been praised for his reliablility when call upon

harding, a right back … end of story lol

take with that as u will

19 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Derby county blog on titter says its josh vickers and wes harding … rotherham players who are out of contract 

vickers a gk, largly a munber two who seems happy to be so but has been praised for his reliablility when call upon

harding, a right back … end of story lol

take with that as u will

Harding would be the right sided centre back in a back 3.

43 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Harding would be the right sided centre back in a back 3.

Would be a good shout. Knows Warne and his staff, knows what they expect and how they want to play, can play a couple of positions. Fits the criteria in terms of age bracket too. If it’s us or Rotherham we stand a chance, I wonder if any other champ clubs would be in for him. 

16 minutes ago, inter politics said:

Harding has a long throw on him

We need to improve our throw ins massively.  Warne talks about small things making a difference and he called it out halfway through the season with regards to throw ins but they barely improved.

Towards the end of the season I was making a mental note of how often we got any sort of end-product (cross / shot etc) from any of our throw ins in the final third and we barely ever did.  So often we lose possession immediately or end up going back to to the defenders or keeper.  May as well throw a ball into the box and at least make the opposition have to defend it.