Matchday Thread - Derby County vs Plymouth Argyle (03/09 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

4 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Yes Plymouth were, on the day the better team and take the points. But we can look back at the Fleetwood and Shrewsbury away games and on a lucky day would have won both and would be sat on 15 points, just 2 behind the leaders. That's football, I'm convinced we will be in the mix for promotion. Players will get to gel as the season progresses. Liam will get to know his best starting 11 for the different tactics of the team we face.

“”When the team “gels””  what does that actually mean? Serious question - the defeat today was predictable because we are grinding out our wins not controlling them. 

1 minute ago, Ellafella said:

“”When the team “gels””  what does that actually mean? Serious question - the defeat today was predictable because we are grinding out our wins not controlling them. 

But then again the games we are drawing away from home we totally dominate no?

Plymouth deserve a lot of credit today.

They got stronger as the game went on and we got weaker.

Two tired mistakes from two of the best players on the pitch cost us but once again we were overrun in midfield.

Hourihane is talented on the ball but he should have gone off after an hour - he was shattered. I felt Rooney was a better bet than Thompson who continues to look shaky.

But overall we looked okay in attack and we will learn.

23 minutes ago, roboto said:

I think it’s been mentioned already, but the first two subs from us totally changed the game (for the wrong reasons for us).

McGoldrick was bossing it and Hourihane doesn’t work well in that position.

Sibley (out of position etc etc…) wasn’t as effective as he had been recently and Dobbin was brought on too late.

Hope LR learns from this one. It stings, but we have a lot of games left and with Collins now finding the net and Didzy getting fitter we will bounce back next time.

I agree

but isnt sibley a direct replacement for didsy? So why shove him out wide

when u have dobbin whos shown he can operate out wide sat on the bench?

we lost our pace and subsequently they could play 30 yards higher up the pitch which killed us

think liam owns this one

Well that’s been coming at home - we concede far too much of the central midfield especially at home and have done in every home league game this season. I honestly don’t think Bird and Hourihane are a good combination as they are both very sluggish mobility wise. 
we will continue to see opposition teams swamp midfield and control that area at Pride park 

If we are to continue to mess about with the ball at the back it has to be with a meaningful purpose and we seem to only encourage the opposition 

we missed Smith today 

1 minute ago, The_Sheriff said:

Many worse then him today but all season (papa johns aside) max bird has been a passenger.

Get some legs in there!

I actually thought that our best looking central midfield partnerships this season was Smith, Knight, Tompson, with Sibley advanced against WBA ( yes mainly reserves but championship ones) 

Poor performance, Plymouth the better team in both halves. 2 up at half time we should have had enough to win the game but 2nd half was even worse. At least LR acknowledged this post match.

Bird still disappointing for me, having little impact on the games. Hourihane loses his legs after 60mins too so 2nd half our midfield vanishes. Last week we had Smith to bring on, today we only had Thompson who I still fail to see what he offers. 

LR got his subs all wrong too, no issue with McG & Barkhuizen off but bring Dobbin & Sibley on, let Dobbin run into the space behind their high line & make them drop back abit to help relieve the pressure. Bringing Thompson on just meant we sat back even more, the number of times he & Bird got in each others way was laughable too, one lead to the 2nd goal. Our long outball to Fozzy stopped 2nd half & his legs had gone too, why not bring Roberts on in the last set of subs.

Got to give Plymouth alot of credit, we didnt get beat by a hoofball team, they simply out played and out ran us. Their manager went for it with his subs. Also, well done to their fans who travelled all this way, got what they deserved. Brought more than Peterborough & Barnsley did too.

Lastly, a few positives...McGoldrick getting more minutes & showed his class, when he is fit to play a full 90 we will be so much better. A brilliant individual goal for NML & its great Collins got his 1st goal.

Onto the next game!

Edited by DCFC1388

15 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

I agree

but isnt sibley a direct replacement for didsy? So why shove him out wide

when u have dobbin whos shown he can operate out wide sat on the bench?

we lost our pace and subsequently they could play 30 yards higher up the pitch which killed us

think liam owns this one

Thompson naturally drops deeper and deeper too, we were suddenly penned in our own half. Change of shape did not work at all. 

Midfield was really poor all day, bird, hourihane and Thompson.

Increasingly think you have to choose between Bird and Houihane if you are essentially playing a two man midfield. Or choose between Collins and McGoldrick and play more of a midfield three. Either way moving Knight into the middle is an obvious solution. 

Not sure how Bird or Hourihane would react to going on the bench...

12 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Well that’s been coming at home - we concede far too much of the central midfield especially at home and have done in every home league game this season. I honestly don’t think Bird and Hourihane are a good combination as they are both very sluggish mobility wise. 
we will continue to see opposition teams swamp midfield and control that area at Pride park 

If we are to continue to mess about with the ball at the back it has to be with a meaningful purpose and we seem to only encourage the opposition 

we missed Smith today 

Agree, we were due to lose a game like that at home, need to bounce back next week ?

Just got home, absolutely fuming after that. 3 points pissed away. 

Soon as we subbed off Barkhausen and Mcgoldrick our ability to transition from defence to attack was gone and we badly missed Mcgoldricks hold up play. 

Thompson is a good young player but I thought he was really poor today and I think we really lacked physicality and some nouse like a Joel Ledlely type once the going got tough at 2-1 and then 2-2 when they had all the impetus. 

Poor subs from Rosenior today and a lack of game management cost us. 

5 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Poor performance, Plymouth the better team in both halves. 2 up at half time we should have had enough to win the game but 2nd half was even worse. At least LR acknowledged this post match.

Bird still disappointing for me, having little impact on the games. Hourihane loses his legs after 60mins too so 2nd half our midfield vanishes. Last week we had Smith to bring on, today we only had Thompson who I still fail to see what he offers. 

LR got his subs all wrong too, no issue with McG & Barkhuizen off but bring Dobbin & Sibley on, let Dobbin run into the space behind their high line & make them drop back abit to help relieve the pressure. Bringing Thompson on just meant we sat back even more, the number of times he & Bird got in each others way was laughable too, one lead to the 2nd goal. Our long outball to Fozzy stopped 2nd half & his legs had gone too, why not bring Roberts on in the last set of subs.

Got to give Plymouth alot of credit, we didnt get beat by a hoofball team, they simply out played and out ran us. Their manager went for it with his subs. Also, well done to their fans who travelled all this way, got what they deserved. Brought more than Peterborough & Barnsley did too.

Lastly, a few positives...McGoldrick getting more minutes & showed his class, when he is fit to play a full 90 we will be so much better. A brilliant individual goal for NML & its great Collins got his 1st goal.

Onto the next game!

Agree with all your comments,think that Rosenior takes a lot of the blame for todays defeat !

Don't know what to make of that really.  You should never lose when  your 2-0 nil up at home against a side no better than you.  You should never and take ball down with no cover in the 89th minute.  You shouldn't keep playing Bird and Hourihane together in midfield and you shouldn't put Sibley out wide.  The linesman should have disallowed their second- he was offside.  Overall rather poo.  I never go along with the whole learning curve,39 games left drivel.  3 points or a point are the same first game or last.  Be a bugger if we miss top 6 by a point or three. I also think Knight was knackered last 30 minutes and the way we creaked at the back showed our reliance on him and his covering .  That needs addressing.

26 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Plymouth deserve a lot of credit today.

They got stronger as the game went on and we got weaker.

Two tired mistakes from two of the best players on the pitch cost us but once again we were overrun in midfield.

Hourihane is talented on the ball but he should have gone off after an hour - he was shattered. I felt Rooney was a better bet than Thompson who continues to look shaky.

But overall we looked okay in attack and we will learn.

Interestingly, Hourihane didn't play at all on Tuesday. The rest doesn't seem to have helped.