Matchday Thread - Derby County vs Plymouth Argyle (03/09 15:00)

Ghost of Clough

4 minutes ago, Orphanram said:

I know Knight has played well at RB but that midfield was crying out for his energy today. Other posters have pointed out previously about Horahaine’s goal involvements but I’ve been quite underwhelmed by him so far. 

I agree, I have been really dissapointed by him so far, was expecting a lot more from him considering his pedigree. I think this maybe down to us have a Bird + Hourihane in midfield, I don't think it works. 

Edited by DanS1992

1 minute ago, Orphanram said:

I know Knight has played well at RB but that midfield was crying out for his energy today. Other posters have pointed out previously about Horahaine’s goal involvements but I’ve been quite underwhelmed by him so far. 

I think he's a good player. Not sure him and Bird is going to give you control against the better sides unless there's someone with more energy in there too. DMcG is a great player but more of a 10 than an 8, so to speak  

Just now, Orphanram said:

I suggested at half-time Knight would need to move into midfield for Hourihane or at least alongside. Mismanaged the second half on the pitch and from the bench, I can’t help but feel if Smith had been fit that may have played out differently.
Gutted to have lost that one, however it’s still early in the season and Plymouth are a good side at this level. Got to take the lessons, learn from them and move onto the next one. 

5 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Just waiting for we should be beating teams like Plymouth comments to start popping up now 

Well that’s why I qualified the statement. Losing to Plymouth, or anyone else, is one thing, but 2-0 up at home, with the squad we have, shouldn’t really be happening. Or at least shouldn’t be happening so timidly.

8 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Just waiting for we should be beating teams like Plymouth comments to start popping up now 

This (and the Peterborough game which we won) were obviously thought tests at this stage of season. 

that said we should be beating Plymouth and any other League one teams when we have a 2 goal lead and cruising .

1 minute ago, StaffsRam said:

Well that’s why I qualified the statement. Losing to Plymouth, or anyone else, is one thing, but 2-0 up at home, with the squad we have, shouldn’t really be happening. Or at least shouldn’t be happening so timidly.

Wasn't directed at yourself particularly - I was just really comparing and contrasting the thread on how has our recruitment been and folks are giving it 8, 9 and 10 out of tens.

Yet Plymouth are a good team. Just doesn't reconcile in my own mind.

I think it's crap losing a 2 goal lead at home at half time with whatever squad you have and whatever team you're playing against. 

Rosenoir needs to start wising up quickly.

1 minute ago, StaffsRam said:

And that's the main point. 

If you're not playing well but somehow find yourselves 2 up, then play ugly, niggly whatever. 

Don't fanny about trying to rediscover your touch. Be a bunch of btards, go more compact and grind out a half. 

Just now, TomTom92 said:

Can anyone put their finger on why we’ve looked dreadful for 90% of the second halves this season? 

Not sure at this stage the ‘we’re a new squad that’s been put together’ excuse can cut it.

How many players out there had played a full pre-season? And that’s before you get to the fact that even if they had, we had a shorter one than most of the league.

There’s absolutely no way Rosenior thought it would be a good idea tactically to remove his best players. They can’t last 90 minutes, or if they could, they’re at risk of an injury that puts them out contention at all.

It’s not like Clownes bought the club and cured every single problem. There’s still going to be a hangover from the chaos off the pitch and the shocking fitness levels is is where it manifests itself on the pitch.

Sadly, once you start behind, it’s very hard to catch up.

I think it’s been mentioned already, but the first two subs from us totally changed the game (for the wrong reasons for us).

McGoldrick was bossing it and Hourihane doesn’t work well in that position.

Sibley (out of position etc etc…) wasn’t as effective as he had been recently and Dobbin was brought on too late.

Hope LR learns from this one. It stings, but we have a lot of games left and with Collins now finding the net and Didzy getting fitter we will bounce back next time.