Overrated things. Not sport music or films.

sage

What products, places, shops etc are overrated in your opinion. 

My first contribution will be controversial and I've got my tin hat on ready. 

Birds Bakery

Now, it's a perfectly good bakers. They make good products but nothing out of this world. Its overpriced and there is always a massive queue. The last sentence suggests I'm in a minority. 

I don't think it's bad just not deserving of the adulation that is bestowed upon it. 

2 minutes ago, sage said:

Birds Bakery

Now, it's a perfectly good bakers. They make good products but nothing out of this world. Its overpriced and there is always a massive queue. The last sentence suggests I'm in a minority. 

I don't think it's bad just not deserving of the adulation that is bestowed upon it. 

I thought this until I found myself working in Coventry, then Birmingham, then Warwick, then down South, then in Bristol etc and couldn't find decent cream cakes for birthdays etc to take into the office. Birds is something to be proud of IMO.

However, to answer the thread..... Costa Coffee, Starbucks, Nero etc. Five Guys burgers, Christmas, Strictly Come Dancing, Adulthood.

Visiting the Pyramids, Cairo.

Went there about 12 years ago and have never been so disappointed in a tourist attraction before or since. I don't suppose they've changed much since - apart from the city getting even closer than it was then.

Edited by Wolfie

12 minutes ago, sage said:

Birds Bakery

Argue What Do You Know GIF by Apple TV+

Just now, richinspain said:

Argue What Do You Know GIF by Apple TV+

I think it's a nostalgia thing for many.

Those who move away have an image from childhood I think and idolise it even more. 

It's only slightly better than Cooplands and 50% more expensive 

6 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Places :  Los Angeles, Paris, New England (in the Fall), Giants Causeway & Pisa (sooner that Tower topples over the better).

Shops etc : All coffee shops, Frankie & Bennys.

Products : Real ale, Sushi, Thai food outlets.

Would agree on Pisa and Los Angeles 

2 hours ago, sage said:

Birds Bakery

Good thread, terrible example. 

Lived away for years, still go to buffets/parties back home and without thinking will bite into a cob and immediately go 'yum, these are Birds'... just different to anywhere else.

Anyway - hot tubs. Horrendously expensive way to share a bath.

Also agree with coffee shops...or Costa Bomb/Packet/Fortune/Arm n Leg as me and the kids 'affectionately' call it.

Judging by the unfeasibly long thread (haven't ever ventured into it) this Is going to be very unpopular.

(Expensive) watches.

Provided a debatably exciting function that has now been superceded by phones etc.  Been bought them and not worn them (unless its a cheap stop watch for running) otherwise I dont wear them and don't have any interest in them. 

8 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Judging by the unfeasibly long thread (haven't ever ventured into it) this Is going to be very unpopular.

(Expensive) watches.

Provided a debatably exciting function that has now been superceded by phones etc.  Been bought them and not worn them (unless its a cheap stop watch for running) otherwise I dont wear them and don't have any interest in them. 

Watches look great with a suit and I'd argue they still serve a function as you don't want to always be pulling your phone out to check the time. A decent low to mid price watch is perfectly serviceable though. The only people who spend silly money on them are posers.

I like coffee shops but the chain ones, whilst mostly serving nice coffee rarely have anything decent to eat.

Privately owned coffee shops are often better.

I’ll go for flying (horrendous process from start to finish), the cinema/films in general, all-inclusive holidays, the Shard.

Will duplicate some from above (which in itself says a lot if we all agree)

• Costa / Starbucks - overpriced, weak (at least Nero tastes of coffee)
  • Greggs - often greasy, often tasteless and barely warm
  • Krispy Kremes - sickly and just not that nice
  • The Kardashians - end of
  • Reality TV - manufactured rubbish 99% of the time
  • Apple Products - conform to the nanny state that is Apple. No thanks.
  • Fitbits - had three, all gave up the ghost, never going back. 
  • Pisa - it has a leaning tower, which actually isn't that interesting, and literally nothing else. The drive there from Florence was more interesting. 
  • Most (all?) London tourist attractions - rip off merchants. £120 for a family of 4 to look at some waxy things in Tussauds!

1 hour ago, Anon said:

Greggs - How the hell did these things get everywhere? The sausage rolls are bog standard mass produced swill. You'd get better from any half decent butchers.

Their sausage rolls are the crack cocaine of the High Street.  

Who goes to a butchers for sausage rolls anyway? 

Cars (the transport, not the Gary Numan song). Just been somewhere with a mate of mine and he has an £80k vehicle, it was nice - no debate - but my car is worth about £10k and his was probably twice as nice, OK let's be generous and say three. Still missing £50k in that assessment for something that sits unused for more than twenty hours a day.

Cake.

How baking cakes has become a national obsession I do not understand. Inferior to almost any other pudding.

'Ooh she makes amazing cakes,' - must also be the most over-rated talent. A semi-moron could knock up a half decent sponge, but it takes someone 'amazing at cakes' to add the required icing to make it sickly beyond edible.

Its not even equal to the sum of its parts, let alone greater. Especially chocolate cake.

Give me a caramel donut or an elephant's foot any day.