Overrated things. Not sport music or films.

sage

50 minutes ago, LERam said:

I have another, and I dont think it will be a popular choice....

Sunday dinner..... Especially don't see the appeal when hungover, someone always suggests it and everyone seems to love the idea... Can just about tolerate my parents Sunday dinner but that's it

Great call. You could go even further and say going out for Sunday Dinner. What a waste of money for some cooked vegetables and a bit of meat.

On 08/08/2022 at 17:30, BaaLocks said:

Cars (the transport, not the Gary Numan song). Just been somewhere with a mate of mine and he has an £80k vehicle, it was nice - no debate - but my car is worth about £10k and his was probably twice as nice, OK let's be generous and say three. Still missing £50k in that assessment for something that sits unused for more than twenty hours a day.

Great post. Cars are just mental...even if you have the money, surely way better things you can spend it on.

Buy a good old car for about 3 or 4k. Probably last 5 years without too much needed to be done to it. If it does have a major problem, get rid and get another one.

Or pay 300 a month for brand new lease car and don't do any maths. Or buy a new/newer car and pray it doesn't screw up after warranty is over.

On 09/08/2022 at 13:24, RadioactiveWaste said:

Mobile phones that cost more than £200 - are you really really getting anything from the extra expense? Typed on a Moto G8 approaching 2 years old I only got because I lost my previous phone.

Definitely. But buy a refurb phone 2nd hand and you can get something 2 or 3 years old for that price.

On 08/08/2022 at 17:30, Skin em Ted said:

Cake.

How baking cakes has become a national obsession I do not understand. Inferior to almost any other pudding.

'Ooh she makes amazing cakes,' - must also be the most over-rated talent. A semi-moron could knock up a half decent sponge, but it takes someone 'amazing at cakes' to add the required icing to make it sickly beyond edible.

Its not even equal to the sum of its parts, let alone greater. Especially chocolate cake.

Give me a caramel donut or an elephant's foot any day.

I blame that Bake Off rubbish. Also, everyone is always banging on about healthy eating, but high sugar cakes seem exempt from this.

Imagine wasting your time getting fat on cakes. So many better things to eat!

5 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Great post. Cars are just mental...even if you have the money, surely way better things you can spend it on.

Buy a good old car for about 3 or 4k. Probably last 5 years without too much needed to be done to it. If it does have a major problem, get rid and get another one.

Or pay 300 a month for brand new lease car and don't do any maths. Or buy a new/newer car and pray it doesn't screw up after warranty is over.

Deffo on buy a sound car for £3-4k and run it til it's not viable any more. If you're prepared to take on the running costs you can have a prestige motor this way.

Clean it and maintain it and apart from wear and tear and the occasional fix they do fine.

Also overrated: warranties from used car lots,not worth the paper they're written on (but, as long as you understand that when you buy it)

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Ditto the ciders.

The utterly characterless bitters.

I'm going to add in Scotch whisky as well. I say this as a whisky drinker - so many offer poor quality and value. In particular, the "entry level" offerings from big brands.

Yes, you can buy a single malt whisky from a well known distillery relatively affordably, but, it's usually a piss poor imitation of what its famous for. The same applies to the blends, famous grouse for example has been progressively ruined.

Genuinely, the Aldi/Lidl bottles of single malt are usually better than the "name" bottle. Aldi "Highland Black 8yo" as a blend knocks spots of grouse/grants/bells etc.

Sooo much BS attached to scotch whisky...it is good, i drink it in preference to beer, but the BS and snobbery on one hand combined with general cheapening of the product means it's deffo on the "overrated things" list.

On the basis of this recommendation I’m going to give the Aldi one a try - usually  buy Aberlour so will be interested to see how it compares (slightly off topic I know) 

2 hours ago, Crewton said:

I'd say Lager, specifically the UK-brewed generic parodies of real Lager (Carling et al) but I'm not sure anyone truly 'rates' it anyway. Why pay more for less flavour and quality?

I only drink lager, The taste of other beers and spirits/wines I do not like...never have, Carlsberg/Carling are pretty much the only beers I'll drink...If it wasn't for football I'd be tea total, Against Oxford was the 1st time I'd had a drink in months...2 before the game and 5ish after, Those I see before and after the game around 10 of us 9 drink lager the other drinks bitter and can drink for England.

1 hour ago, LERam said:

Sunday dinner..... Especially don't see the appeal when hungover, someone always suggests it and everyone seems to love the idea... Can just about tolerate my parents Sunday dinner but that's it

You've never had a decent one that's all, just wait until you do....?

42 minutes ago, Monty said:

On the basis of this recommendation I’m going to give the Aldi one a try - usually  buy Aberlour so will be interested to see how it compares (slightly off topic I know) 

Let us know how you get on with it. The Aldi Speyside 12 yo is supposed to be pretty good. I'm sure there was a whisky thread somewhere.

I like medicinal peaty whisky myself and both the Aldi and Lidl Islay single malt do that job pretty well.

Edited by RadioactiveWaste

7 hours ago, David said:

IPA’s

Craft Ales

Real Ales

Wine

Beards

The Brunswick

Trains

Android

Miller & Carter

TikTok

Love Island

GameStop Shares

NFT’s

London

Musicals/Theatre

Harry Potter Books

Lord of the Rings Books

Game of Thrones Books

Getting old

Having a driving licence

Electric Scooters

Spain

Greece

Popcorn

Paracetamol

Jogging

Ad Blockers

Heatwaves

Donald Trump

Premier Inn

Vegan Diet

Sushi

Karaoke

Fabrizio Romano

Hot Tubs

And breathe count to ten and breathe again! Notice you neglected to put anything with "i" as prefix as in pod or pad or phone

5 hours ago, LERam said:

As a child growing up in Chadd the Sunday dinner was the only time all the family were together, My Mother was a great cook, 8 of us, Beef, Pork, Chicken or Liver, No lamb I hate it, Yorks puds, Roast tats, Brussels/cabbage smothered in gravy, And I was lucky enough to marry a Woman who matched my Mums cooking.

Now living on my lonesome if I fancy a Sunday dinner...it comes out of a box ? 

4 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Deffo on buy a sound car for £3-4k and run it til it's not viable any more. If you're prepared to take on the running costs you can have a prestige motor this way.

Clean it and maintain it and apart from wear and tear and the occasional fix they do fine.

Also overrated: warranties from used car lots,not worth the paper they're written on (but, as long as you understand that when you buy it)

6 and a half years ago I bought a Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 SX, Ex lease 18k on the clock for £5,250, Part chopped my Audi A2 for £1,250=£4k, Still got it, Serviced every 2 years now coming up to just shy of 40k, Since I retired in March I doubt i've done 200 miles and still have over half a tank of fuel from when I filled up when I finished working ?

8 hours ago, David said:

IPA’s

Craft Ales

Real Ales

Wine

Beards

The Brunswick

Trains

Android

Miller & Carter

TikTok

Love Island