Overrated things. Not sport music or films.

sage

2 hours ago, Skin em Ted said:

Cake.

How baking cakes has become a national obsession I do not understand. Inferior to almost any other pudding.

'Ooh she makes amazing cakes,' - must also be the most over-rated talent. A semi-moron could knock up a half decent sponge, but it takes someone 'amazing at cakes' to add the required icing to make it sickly beyond edible.

Its not even equal to the sum of its parts, let alone greater. Especially chocolate cake.

Give me a caramel donut or an elephant's foot any day.

Lemon Drizzle... Mmm

Agree with some of the others that said real ale and coffee shops, especially when served in pretentious surroundings, with "experts" in the field...

Things I'd add to the list

Colloseum at Rome... not as good as the one Tunisa which is in a lot better condition and was the one used in gladiator.

And controversially, chocolate brownies. I love anything sweet and chocolate, my teeth are as sweet as can be. But I find them always to be dense or dry and underwhelming.

2 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Similar to that, I remember visiting a cousin in London as a youngster before knowing a cob was local dialect. I spent what felt like an eternity asking for a chip cob, and he kept saying "you mean chips and cod"

Went back and forth both looking at each other like the other ones a complete thicko until my cousin came and in and actually explained

11 minutes ago, LERam said:

Similar to that, I remember visiting a cousin in London as a youngster before knowing a cob was local dialect. I spent what felt like an eternity asking for a chip cob, and he kept saying "you mean chips and cod"

Went back and forth both looking at each other like the other ones a complete thicko until my cousin came and in and actually explained

Dialects, We were in Zante Greece, Went and sat on a bench outside a bar and I got a splinter in my finger, Went to the bar and asked for a Pin, Female came back with a Pen...she was from New Zealand.  

Place in the UK I'll say Whitby. I know many people love it there, I thought it was naff.

Went in the autumn midweek, wasn't a particularly hot day. Every pub was rammed full, couldn't find anywhere for lunch. The fish and chips are nothing to shout about. Parking is a nightmare, even when we tried the park and ride we queued for 45mins as the buses were packed. I'd rather have visited the Abbey and gone to a local village for the afternoon.

Fully agree with Starbucks and Gregg's.

Netflix. Loads of shows but they're 99% from the McDonald's saver range.

Amazon. It's convenient but it's not as good a value as you might want to believe.

Smart watches (generic) - maybe you like them and I'm just a luddite but really did not get on with the one I tried and having to charge the bloody thing every few days. Style wise no one who isn't you can tell it apart from the £40 Chinese copycat one anyway. Buy a Casio digital for £15.

Apple products - more of a cult than than a tech tree at this point.

Mobile phones that cost more than £200 - are you really really getting anything from the extra expense? Typed on a Moto G8 approaching 2 years old I only got because I lost my previous phone.

NFTs - what are you actually buying and why would it be valuable?

17 hours ago, LERam said:

Agree with some of the others that said real ale and coffee shops, especially when served in pretentious surroundings, with "experts" in the field...

Things I'd add to the list

Colloseum at Rome... not as good as the one Tunisa which is in a lot better condition and was the one used in gladiator.

And controversially, chocolate brownies. I love anything sweet and chocolate, my teeth are as sweet as can be. But I find them always to be dense or dry and underwhelming.

Then you need to go to New York and get the Chocolate Brownie mix from Fat Witch Bakery in Chelsea market.

The BBC

Dominos pizza

Celebrity chefs 

Tv property programmes

Tv cooking programmes 

Expensive wine 

Premium lagers 

Supposed VIP packages at gigs

5 hours ago, SSD said:

Place in the UK I'll say Whitby. I know many people love it there, I thought it was naff.

Went in the autumn midweek, wasn't a particularly hot day. Every pub was rammed full, couldn't find anywhere for lunch. The fish and chips are nothing to shout about. Parking is a nightmare, even when we tried the park and ride we queued for 45mins as the buses were packed. I'd rather have visited the Abbey and gone to a local village for the afternoon.

I visit Whitby a lot, my daughter lives and works there. It is very Jekyll and Hyde, in the tourist season it's full of chavs from Leeds and Boro who swarm off the coaches and into their favorite attraction, the Wetherspoons on the harbour. The narrow streets are unbearably crowded, as is the beach.

We always go out of season, it is often very quiet, did you go at school half term? The beaches are near deserted apart from dog walkers and a lot of cafes and amusements etc shut. The fish and chip restaurants are best avoided, overpriced and average, but there are some chippies off the beaten track that are amazing. I agree about the parking, it's a rip off in season but out of season a lot of car parks, including the parking meters on west cliff are free. If you use the big car park near the station don't park near the steam train, I turned up in a Silver Astra and went home in a sooty black one! Like most tourist towns a bit of local knowledge and knowing where to avoid goes a long way.