Match Thread: Rams vs Leicester (Pride Park, today 1pm)

Carl Sagan

1 hour ago, Cumbrian said:

Only two of this team are first choice players for Leicester. Ndidi, who's been injured and is playing his first match back, and Tielemans who they're desperate to sell as he's out of contract next summer and won't sign a new one.

They're open to offers for Castagne, Praet, Soyuncu and several others in this team. Their squad is too big and they need to sell players. 

A number of the players who played today are full internationals worth millions in the crazy world of football transfers. Players who played plenty of games for Leicester across multiple competitions last season. Given that they’re yet to recruit anymore players I would hazard a guess they’ll play plenty of games this season too, whether they’re first choice in their position or not is a fair point, however  that doesn’t qualify the side that played as a “b” team, as I said, it’s a portion of their squad.

35 minutes ago, Cumbrian said:

Leicester's first choice full backs are Ricardo and Justin. Castagne is second choice in both positions.

Soyuncu Is third choice central defender behind Evans and Fofana. 

Justin is playing at Preston...

You seem to know more about Fester than the Rams

1 minute ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

A number of the players who played today are full internationals worth millions in the crazy world of football transfers. Players who played plenty of games for Leicester across multiple competitions last season. Given that they’re yet to recruit anymore players I would hazard a guess they’ll play plenty of games this season too, whether they’re first choice in their position or not is a fair point, however  that doesn’t qualify the side that played as a “b” team, as I said, it’s a portion of their squad.

Our one player who actually cost £150,000 about 10 years ago (Forsyth) isn’t actually under contract which highlights a slight gulf in finances.

1 hour ago, Chellaston Ram said:

They embarrassed themselves singing Champions of England you’ll never sing that, when we’ve won it twice 

They do that constantly.  But I saw their best and brightest on that Football Factory thing.  Make an amoeba look like Einstein so I'm not surprised.   

Very pleased with today. We played well and matched the Foxes most of the time. We went behind to a great goal, and scored an even better one!

In the end we were beaten by two defensive mistakes - one probably aided and abetted by a huge offside non-decision, and a schoolboy defensive error. 

I loved the Leicester fans pathetic attempt at rivalry, when every time they look for one, there’s nobody there! How sad - their big day out is against a club two divisions below them!

What is even sadder is Leicester’s need for two very nasty, very cynical fouls leaving two players needing treatment in a friendly match. Good grief!

Which leads on to the match officials: some things never change. We have picked up two or three yellow cards so far in the friendlies, yet two blatant yellows didn’t even give us a single free kick.

Things to take away ate Max Bird’s curved ball with the outside of his left foot to start the goal move - it was stupendous, as was the cross, as was the finish!

They embarrassed themselves singing Champions of England you’ll never sing that, when we’ve won it twice 

We were singing "Champions of England, you made us sing that"

It is part of the song about our owner who died

Decent game today, Barkhuizen very dangerous all game and no clue how Mendez-Laing didn't rattle that chance in at 1-1

Good luck for the season!

We've won it as many times as them, Forest and Stoke have won it combined. Jog on tinpot club...... ?

I watched the first half and then was preoccupied in the second. I was very impressed with how well we played against what is a superior team, honestly thought the bravery with which we played stands us in good stead going into next season. 

My only concern was how effective Leicester was with forward runners from midfield, obviously our CBs aren’t the quickest and we won’t come up against that in the league, but they highlighted it and did find it effective. 

it plays in to how brave we were to play out from the back, so I can’t grumble too much. Something to watch out for, for sure. 

Just had a proper watch of the goals . 2nd miles offside.  Third was disappointing by the keeper.  Not huge power, he could have even gathered it in.  Played ok against a team with another gear wen needed.  Laings miss shows the importance of finishing the few chances were maklng. 

Considering this was their 'second' team, 8 of them appeared in at least half of their premier games last season, not including Praet's 23 appearances for Torino in Italy's top league. So that leaves just the keeper and Vestergaard who didn't play a significant amount of top league football last season. Their combined fees cost far more than DC paid for our club with our starting line up giving you £10 change from a £10 note.

So, the result was no real surprise, but it was pleasing to see how well we played in parts, with a team of players still getting used to each other and catching up on fitness levels.

1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

The bindippers have always been thick as mince. An absolute non-entity for 130 years & after a fluke title, start acting like Man Utd. Their 'effort' in trying to goad us this afternoon betrays their inferiority complex.

As for the game, we predictably struggled at times against a very strong side. Although the marquee names were at Preston, that XI would walk into any top Championship side, let alone our level. Although we tried to play & at times broke on their back 4, we struggled to create & their finishing was wretched first half. That said, we scored a fantastic equaliser & should have led when Mendez-Laing had acres of time in the box to score.

Bit perplexed by some of the play in our own final 3rd, a mindset which led Onoruh to play a square ball across his own box for their 3rd. Totally on board with trying to play from deep but the philosophy has to measured as risk v reward...narrowly dodging 4 oppo players just to knock it square to Curtis 10 yards from your own goal is not worth the risk. If the opposition are trying to stop the press, mix it up by going long...with Collins, Mendez-Laing & Barkhuizen we have enough presence up the field to secure the ball and of course there will be space because of their press.

Other observations; Max Bird was superb & great ball out to Hourihane in build up to goal. Hourihane much improved from Tuesday & best game of pre-season from Barkhuizen. Korey Smith looked very bright, I like his pop passes & quick feet and he'll get better as he gets matchfit. On flip side, we simply can not play a high line with Chester & Davies at the back and whilst not his fault, bit concerned at lack of service Collins is getting. Needs addressing asap.

Overall not too disheartened. Onto Oxford & the real business. COYR

As usual a top class report. I am hoping when McGoldrick is back he will help feed Collins, but your right he had little to use, and no one to flick on to. There was one lovely moment when Sibley came on but was the wrong side and behind, when Collins did a sweet headed lay off that in another world would have been a gem. (No one’s fault, it’s the way it goes) He looks to have a reasonable touch and doesn’t panic pass so I remain hopeful.

What encouraged and at the same time frustrated was the success we had when we moved the ball first touch. There’s enough skill in this group to do it regularly. It works, we cut holes in them.  We’d then slump back to multiple touches and sideways movement giving them time to reform. Liam talks about tempo quite a bit. I think he gets it, but the players need a bit more consistency in following the party line and actually doing it ! 

Edited by jono

Just now, jono said:

As usual a top class report. I am hoping when McGoldrick is back he will help feed Collins, but your right he had little to use, and no one to flick on to. There was one lovely moment when Sibley came on but was the wrong side and behind, when Collins did a sweet headed lay off that in another world would have been a gem. (No one’s fault, it’s the way it goes) He looks to have a reasonable touch and doesn’t panic pass so I remain hopeful.

What encouraged and at the same time frustrated was the success we had when we moved the ball first touch. There’s enough skill in this group to do it regularly. It works, we cut holes in them.  We’d slump back to multiple touches and sideways movement giving them time to reform. Liam talks about tempo quite a bit. I think he gets it, but the players need a bit more consistency in following the party line and actually doing it ! 

Good points Jono. I like what I see from Collins, just concerned his confidence might start to slide the longer he goes without a chance (let alone a goal).

McGoldrick will definitely help create those opportunities but did like the balance of midfield of today albeit Hourihane probably needs to be closer to Collins. Not unreasonably that was difficult to achieve against a Premier League side.

Also agree the tempo of our passing is really the key to us doing well this season. Multiple touches and/or sideways balls and we'll struggle to score all season. As you rightly say, we do have the quality to knock it around at pace. If we're brave enough to do that consistently, I think we'll do well.