Match Thread: Rams vs Leicester (Pride Park, today 1pm)

Carl Sagan

Not a bad game. Our goal was the pick of the bunch. Leicester's 2nd goal was a mile offside and their third was soft as ?.

Player wise... we could possibly do with a GK that can kick better if we're going to continue playing it out from the back. A proper first-choice right back is a must. Midfield fine; Max Bird was class. Collins showed some good touches in the build up even if he didn't get any clear chances on goal himself. We need to create more chances... but I think if our wingers ran beyond the opposition full backs more this would come.

Feeling positive for the first game. COYR ?

3 minutes ago, inter politics said:

Will say it again. Cashin should be first choice

There's a few players currently outside the regular 11 who I think will do really well in League One. Cashin, Thompson, Sibley the main ones. I think we have to trust the manager with it because we'll need a whole squad and I think they'll work their way in. They're young players with a point to prove, perhaps in the early stages we do need to stick with the experienced heads to hit the ground running and inject the youth quality a few games in.

Plus, it keeps them hungry, it's an early message that they're not guaranteed their spots and they've got to keep developing in training to get the shirt. And then play well when they've got it, to keep the shirt.

Some issues to work on:

1. Midfield

Unbalanced. Knight is too good to waste at FB: we need his energy at right midfield.

2. Chester

Im not seeing a solid CH; I’m seeing a laboured pace with positional questions. 

3. Energy

We need more in midfield. Maybe sore legs from intensive training but not enough today. 

4. Against Hertha I saw a clear shape & method; today that was absent. Good up front but poor linkage between defence and midfield. Both wingers off it today. Some glimpses of knitted-passes at speed but sometimes so hesitant play.

5. I was coached never to play a risky pass in defence: today I saw umpteen. It’s just plain wrong and will cost us goals this season. Just stop it. 

6. No real links to Collins. Our goal was a peach but our usual out ball was speculative & often just lost possession.

The real test of LR is if he fixes these ^ problems or if they persist. 

Plenty of work to do. 

7 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

Post of the week?spot on, absolutely the attitude we should be showing as a fan base

I agree.  Our fans are on as much as a learning curve as the players.  One or two of our oppositions in League 1 will bring one or two coaches of fans - are we going to laugh at them or welcome them?

24 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Close enoguh!

knight.jpeg

That's worse than my teams brand new sponsored (tenpin) bowling shirts way back in the day, when the four of us turned up for a league game proud as punch... only to have it pointed out that the back of the shirts actually announced that we were "Sposored by..."!

?

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Don't know why folks are moaning about the Leicester fans, as they turned up in numbers that put quite a bit of money in the kitty.

Thanks! ??

Yeah, also are we really saying we wouldn’t have included a gloating, anti-Leicester song if we’d won?

Some fans need a reality check.

Leicester have bragging rights for sure but these things go in cycles. 

Patience needed, not outrage.

4 minutes ago, Oldben said:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/derby-county-transfer-leicester-city-7372634

I support the fans on their decision, we require more signings.

Ok ok sure, We could do with another striker, we need a right back and maybe goalie cover. The rest will have to wait; or those who are “nearly there” need to up it a notch and stake their claim. Time to grow up and be real. Every team has its wants and needs. We are a bit thin on the ground but we’ve got skill by the bucket load, decent experience and 25,000 regulars giving everything to roar us on. We can do this.

3 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Yeah, also are we really saying we wouldn’t have included a gloating, anti-Leicester song if we’d won?

Some fans need a reality check.

Leicester have bragging rights for sure but these things go in cycles. 

Patience needed, not outrage.

Of course they are going to take the mick. As would we. Need to get used to it 

2 hours ago, Fox1884 said:

We were singing "Champions of England, you made us sing that"

It is part of the song about our owner who died

Decent game today, Barkhuizen very dangerous all game and no clue how Mendez-Laing didn't rattle that chance in at 1-1

Good luck for the season!

Mendez-Lang went for the glory shot instead of the right shot! Shame!

7 hours ago, brady1993 said:

I agree about the front 6. That's probably what I'd do with what is available. However I'd much rather play Roberts over Fozzy with how we are setting and in principle I don't hate the idea of trying Knight at RB.

Get what you mean about Roberts - as you probably know, I’ve never been Forsyth’s biggest fan in terms of his difficulties making basic 5 yard passes. However, he’s very experienced in that position, much more than Roberts who’s always been a CB (though has done well at LB so far tbf). In terms of Knight, he does have the attributes, but I think it’s a waste of talent shoving him there (though we have little choice until a first choice RB comes in).