Gotta love Extinction Rebellion

Bob The Badger

Or rather not.

What a bunch of muppets.

How to take a subject that many people agree with you on and then totally turn them off.

That guy with the pink shirt on disgusts me.

He should be given a damn good thrashing.

Everybody knows you do a quick gentle tap first before aiming a hard blow at a chisel.

What an amateur, he could have broken his hand.

Meh. A few smashed windows and other criminal damage is rather insignificant compared to what will come if world leaders (and the people who elect them - in some cases) cannot come up with a plan to stop doing things that exacerbate global warming.

Sure, they could protest in a Priti Patel approved way but that kind of defeats the point of protesting.

3 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Meh. A few smashed windows and other criminal damage is rather insignificant compared to what will come if world leaders (and the people who elect them - in some cases) cannot come up with a plan to stop doing things that exacerbate global warming.

Sure, they could protest in a Priti Patel approved way but that kind of defeats the point of protesting.

Just because you're breaking the law doesn't mean you're being smart about your resources or being effective.

They're hardly throwing themselves under race horses ffs. This will change nothing, just create more polarisation.

I'm in agreement with much of what they say, but this is juvenile.

How about they figure out a way to break the law by, say, stealing insulation and installing it in pensioners homes. Or something actually creative that will raise awareness AND get people on their side?

1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

58 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

Hopefully they'll just glue themselves to something again. 

Or pretend to as happened at the local car boot the month.

Just political clap trap.

Now they've smashed that window I'm much more interested in what they have to say. 

In fact I refuse to listen to anybody who doesn't vandalise buildings and glue themselves to stuff. 

Like when the insulate Britain lot were holding up motorways I couldn't understand why people weren't getting out their cars and listening to these guys. 

27 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Now they've smashed that window I'm much more interested in what they have to say. 

In fact I refuse to listen to anybody who doesn't vandalise buildings and glue themselves to stuff. 

Like when the insulate Britain lot were holding up motorways I couldn't understand why people weren't getting out their cars and listening to these guys. 

When someone resorts to violence, vandalism and widescale disruption I instantly know they must have a compelling argument.

2 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Just because you're breaking the law doesn't mean you're being smart about your resources or being effective.

Plus the hammer and chisel would have to have come from either furnaced metal which will use either gas-coal or which will put a few Centigrade into the ozone...double bloody standards ?

It's not quite that simple though is it? We have evidence that is beyond deniable that our climate is changing so the simple question that faces us now (and it is not a question, sadly, that you and I can answer) is "knowing all of this, do we want to do anything about it - recognising it will likely impact significantly the way we all live our lives?"

And this is where I do have some sympathy with Extinction Rebellion - as I see it they are trying to shake us up and give us the shock we need to actually do something about it. If we don't then it does look like we will leave a planet behind for our descendants that will struggle to support us all in the way we live today - with all the consequences that will bring. I could get all aloof and snotty and ask if it really worth the extra HD television, skiing holiday, third car for the weekend and other things that many might consider unnecessary given the likely impact. But, as said earlier, we (nearly) all think what we do is necessary - I travel up to see Derby on the train, I will buy a new car in the next couple of years, I leave the lights on sometimes and forget.

Again, either we (the human race) do something about it or we don't - and every evidence suggests that the collective view of humanity today is that the new television is worth it, our kids can figure out the mess, we don't really need polar bears anyway. Extinction Rebellion are simply trying to force the discussion, given that forty years of trying to do it via conventional routes has had pretty much no impact.

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

It's not quite that simple though is it? We have evidence that is beyond deniable that our climate is changing so the simple question that faces us now (and it is not a question, sadly, that you and I can answer) is "knowing all of this, do we want to do anything about it - recognising it will likely impact significantly the way we all live our lives?"

And this is where I do have some sympathy with Extinction Rebellion - as I see it they are trying to shake us up and give us the shock we need to actually do something about it. If we don't then it does look like we will leave a planet behind for our descendants that will struggle to support us all in the way we live today - with all the consequences that will bring. I could get all aloof and snotty and ask if it really worth the extra HD television, skiing holiday, third car for the weekend and other things that many might consider unnecessary given the likely impact. But, as said earlier, we (nearly) all think what we do is necessary - I travel up to see Derby on the train, I will buy a new car in the next couple of years, I leave the lights on sometimes and forget.

Again, either we (the human race) do something about it or we don't - and every evidence suggests that the collective view of humanity today is that the new television is worth it, our kids can figure out the mess, we don't really need polar bears anyway. Extinction Rebellion are simply trying to force the discussion, given that forty years of trying to do it via conventional routes has had pretty much no impact.

I'm very confident that doing things like this has the opposite effect of raising awareness or support. 

It does the opposite. It makes them look like the kind of attention seeking maniacs that spread conspiracy theories online all day. The Area51 the government are keeping aliens secret types. 

That's what they achieve. Turning something valid into something people will look at, shake their heads, call them loons and move on. 

They're not inspiring us or opening up conversations. They're creating barriers. 

A bit like the "if you're not anti racist then you're racist/ silence is violence" type stuff with BLM. 

Alienating people you want to win over is bizarre tactic which could lead us into the debates we had with Putin being pure evil or having valid concerns. 

You just can't alienate people and expect their understanding 

China, India, Brazil are just 3 countries that are sticking their fingers up and saying...up yours, Lets just say we the UK get to zero by 2050, But China and India are still pumping out a colossal amount of fossil fuels, The results of them still burning and the smoke will still go up in the air and circulate around the world.

China and India supply a massive amount of our consumables, What do our companies do...tell them to go fourth, Yesterday and today, I went out running/walking at 5-30am...stuck inside all day these last 2 days, Those Children who come after me(Grandchildren of 11-8)are going to inherit an overpopulated earth that will eventually end in War ?‍♀️ 

What does he suggest?

- China, India & others building literally 100s of new coal power stations

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2317274-china-is-building-more-than-half-of-the-worlds-new-coal-power-plants/

- richest 1% emit insane amount of carbon

https://www.oxfam.org.uk/media/press-releases/carbon-emissions-of-richest-1-set-to-be-30-times-the-15c-limit-in-2030/

- but I'm happy paying an extra £153 during a time of massively increasing energy bills to fund their lifestyle...

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/what-is-green-levy-energy-124209601.html

- meanwhile at this years climate summit (populated by around 120 private jets)

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/cop26/cop26-carbon-footprint-climate-summit/

- I am however always pleased to be preached to by those condemning climate change inaction

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1642524/prince-harry-climate-change-private-jet-trips

https://www.statsjamie.co.uk/prince-harry-carbon-footprint/