Wiil you be disappointed if we finish outside the top 2???

1 hour ago, ramit said:

A winning mentality is all well and good, but needs to be reasonable, or negativity will take over when the high goals read demands are not met and that does not help the team in the slightest.  Some need a reality check.

Reasonable? I'm guessing that Liam is selling the club to people like Conor Hourihane, James Chester, James Collins, David McGoldrick, Haydon Roberts, Kwaku Oduroh et al slightly better than some here. If you were Curtis Davies and had been offered a two-year contract at Bristol City on wages considerably more than he is willing to accept here, is it so he can see us finish comfortably mid-table and tell the missus that was a great point we got today against Plymouth at Pride Park. Really? This side we are assembling would be up there in the Championship, we'd beat Burnley, Middlesbrough, West Brom etc, we'd be favourites for a promotion spot. I'm expecting enough points on the board for promotion by Christmas and Liam to get manager of the month all the way through.

The fact that Rotherham and Peterborough seem to find a way out of League One but struggle in the Championship tells us something.

Would our current side survive in the Championship? If the answer is yes, we have to be looking at top two.

Let’s not forget the side last season amassed 55 points and would have stayed up in any other circumstance.

Since then we have lost our better wide players and fullbacks.

But we have improved our CB options, improved our midfield options and we arguably have a better striker.

I hope to god that this level of expectation that has crept in for some supporters doesn’t become toxic if results aren’t favourable early in the season and ruin the togetherness of last season!!! On paper LR (and the rest) has assembled a decent crop of players but that’s all it is - and it is still incredibly light in some areas for what will be a long season. Part of the success of last season was that every time the team stepped on the pitch they had unequivocal support from the fans - even when results weren’t going for us. I’d be more disappointed with the loss of that positivity than I would missing out on Top 2.

3 hours ago, RamuelLJackson said:

Last season taught us that a supportive home crowd can actually contribute to success, even with a subpar team. With a stronger squad, that same energy from the fans could be what puts us over the top. If it comes with some humility then even better. Or we could all revert to that entitled D-bag mentality, and abuse our players for every misstep. But I like to think we've learned

Oh, I do hope so.

We have been debating forever on here about whether the crowd being supportive has a bearing on the result, with a small but significant minority saying  it doesn't .

I hope we can put that one to bed now. IT DOES! 

This negative tone suggested here is very similar to the current Southgate situation. Literally the most successful England manager in 50 odd years, who has galvanised a squad, and people want him sacked less than 12 months later. ‘Fans’ are fickle. I don’t doubt that people will boo if we’re bottom half at Christmas. I also think the players that are here have come expecting to win promotion, even if they don’t say it in the open.

Edited by trekkie_ram

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Oh, I do hope so.

We have been debating forever on here about whether the crowd being supportive has a bearing on the result, with a small but significant minority saying  it doesn't .

I hope we can put that one to bed now. IT DOES! 

Absolutely it does.  There’s a chap on my row who yells dogs abuse.  Even last season and it really does my head in.  And he’ll be the first to to turn if thing don’t go well at the start of the season.

To me it’s quite simple.  If customers where you worked turned up and boo-d and swore at you what would you think?  Would that get the best out of you?  Yet, because they’re on a football pitch, we think that’s OK and it has no impact on their performance.

21 hours ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

In all seriousness we have done v well on incoming and even if we lose a few we will still have probably the strongest/ experienced squad of all 24 (imo) which poses the question.....

Fwiw we must finish top 6 minimum. Experienced players will need no bedding in.

And so it begins 

didnt take long for that derby county level of expectation / entitlement to re eatablish itself

not even a month out of administration

some people are in for a rude awaken

last time we made such wholesale changes to our side (allbeit in different circumstance) was paul jewell in the summer after our relegation from the prem to try and change the loosing mentality 

how did that pan out ?? 

I think the problem may be in the phrasing. Arguably we will all be sort of 'disappointed' if we finish outside a certain fairly lofty position because that's football fans for you (we live in hope) but the question is, which type are you? Are you disappointed in the same way that when we don't beat Liverpool in a Cup tie (i.e. not really surprised, just disappointed that the cup journey is over) or would you consider finishing outside the top 2 as an abject failure ? A playoff season would be a cracking season IMHO and spirited top half with momentum going into next year would be fine by me. The trouble with saying that you would be disappointed with 3rd makes it sound like you are expecting to blow the division away and anything less than top 2 will see you sat there with arms folded and a sour face.

31 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

And so it begins 

didnt take long for that derby county level of expectation / entitlement to re eatablish itself

last time we made such wholesale changes to our side (allbeit in different circumstance) was paul jewell in the summer after our relegation from the prem to try and change the loosing mentality 

how did that pan out ?? 

League cup semi final.  Bit s*** in the league. Just had a look at the attendances and they were staggering following the previous season and a 17th/18 place finish that season.  For what it's worth I'm happy to see some games and expected either a 15 point deduction or a season of playing 18 year old getting or narrowly avoiding relegation.  Most people will think the same.

We are Derby County though and as time goes on  ultimately there comes a pressure playing in front of that level of support.  That support always comes with an expectation to be playing championship football as a minimum. Course we have that element of entitlement, it's been earned over the years.   

That's probably why these players have come here rather than playing for a mid table championship jobbing club though.  Works both ways.  They'll expect a level of pressure and likely enjoy the challenge. 

41 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

And so it begins 

how did that pan out ?? 

Whilst I get the point about people getting potentially over excited, I think there is a reasonable amount to get hopeful about a promotion push. 

The situation is almost incomparable to the one under Jewell. The signings that season were scattershot, signing way too many players on way top high waves with little thought to as we were going to use them. We also came down in the particular bind a biggish club has following a bad relegation were confidence is largely shot, players are used to losing but expectation is heaped on them.

Here though, if fozzy signs we can field an 11 with 9 players who were here last year without really playing anyone out of position. There is that degree of continuity and we are signing to a plan, to complement what we have. Also we are coming down with a team that wouldn't have got relegated bar the deductions so they don't have that same beaten mentality.

Personally think it's too early to say exactly where we should be aiming but I don't think thinking we could make a promotion push is unreasonable.

22 hours ago, ramit said:

A team being basically built from scratch will need room to become a cohesive unit and yes experienced players will also need time.  As the season goes on i expect some players to adapt to the team quicker, or better than others.

In short, a mid table finish would be a good first season for me, top 2 would be extraordinary but am not expecting it.

Cautious, but maybe you’re right. Then again, if they gel as a unit the ability is surely there.
I don’t have any feeling of god given right to be better than the rest, but the material is there for us to be challenging towards the top after a slow start. 

just smiling because it’s 11 v 11, a level playing field and a loud/proud stadium. The rest is secondary