Wiil you be disappointed if we finish outside the top 2???

30 minutes ago, ossieram said:

You do know we are working under a EFL business plan and that our wage bill will not be the highest in the league. 

The average wage in league one is 2k or thereabouts; you really believe we've handed contracts out on this basis to Hourihane,  Davies, Chester, Mcgoldrick etc at this level? Come off it.

We'll be up there when it comes to paying wages without a doubt.

Edited by Papahet

1 minute ago, Papahet said:

The average wage in league one is 2k or thereabouts, you really believe we've handed contracts to Hourihane,  Davies, Chester, Mcgoldrick ETC on this basis to play at this level? Come off it.

We'll be up there when it comes to paying wages, without a doubt.

Well even if we are (which I don't think), they're not on 4 year contracts having cost around £5m!

30 minutes ago, ossieram said:

You do know we are working under a EFL business plan and that our wage bill will not be the highest in the league. 

But it will be top 6 wage budget definitely. Hourihane, Smith and McGoldrick could’ve signed for championship clubs for more money. Barkhuizen, Mendez-Laing, Collins are proven at this level and above. We will hopefully keep at least one of Bird Knight and Bielik, Thompson and Cashin are great talents. We’re a right back away from from having the best back 4 in the league. 

Yes we should be disappointed not finishing top 2, there are other clubs who can compete with us but top 6 should be our minimum aim, particularly when you realise that 6th place would be the second lowest league finish in our history.

No one is getting carried away but we have good reason to be confident.

My starting expectation is top half only due to too many old and too many really young players in the squad. However if they gel, keep injury free and some are not sold in January, then we have a chance. Where we are at end of January when poor pitches drag on the legs will determine our season.

Top 2 i'll be delighted, anything less I'll be understanding unless its bottom half. THEN I'll be disappointed.

I'm happy for someone to save this so when we finish 12th I can be made to look like (an even bigger) tit, but...

I'd be disappointed if we finished out the top 6.  I know 99% of people would say that's a bit rich considering we've just been relegated and the likes of Sunderland, Ipswich, Portsmouth & Wednesday have struggled to bounce straight back up but the thing a lot of them over look is that we weren't relegated because we were a poor side, we were relegated because our previous owner was a utter Bamford.  We aren't a bad side and the players who remain aren't bad players.  Add to that we've made signings that we'd have been over the moon with if we'd have stayed up last season, let alone starting this one in the 3rd tier.  We may start slowly as the new players settle in and fully gel but you might as well aim high.

On 16/07/2022 at 20:37, RoyMac5 said:

Well even if we are (which I don't think), they're not on 4 year contracts having cost around £5m!

We will still have a far higher income than most of the teams in League one and even under a fairly strict business plan we will still easily have one of the highest wage bills in the league. 

15 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

I'm happy for someone to save this so when we finish 12th I can be made to look like (an even bigger) tit, but...

I'd be disappointed if we finished out the top 6.  I know 99% of people would say that's a bit rich considering we've just been relegated and the likes of Sunderland, Ipswich, Portsmouth & Wednesday have struggled to bounce straight back up but the thing a lot of them over look is that we weren't relegated because we were a poor side, we were relegated because our previous owner was a utter Bamford.  We aren't a bad side and the players who remain aren't bad players.  Add to that we've made signings that we'd have been over the moon with if we'd have stayed up last season, let alone starting this one in the 3rd tier.  We may start slowly as the new players settle in and fully gel but you might as well aim high.

Whilst correct in saying that although we were relegated, we weren't a poor side, that side has been decimated. Lost both keepers, both full backs, leading goalscorer, 2 good young wide players and the manager, amongst others.

Whilst we've made some good signings, they're all players no longer wanted by their clubs and we've virtually starting from scratch.

That said, very early signs are encouraging.

I wouldn't get your hopes up that high, we may well have quite a slow start. A lot of players still getting to know each other on and off the pitch, they're going to need time to gel.

If I had to call it right now I'd say we'll win convincingly on the first day of the season in front of a bumper crowd and it's a proper party atmosphere, expectations will sky rocket. We'll then lose away at Charlton with a packed out away end which will be a bit of a reality check. Have mid-table form for the first couple months and then hit our stride later on with PP becoming a fortress.

We'll then finish top six, lose at Wembley and Derby County will officially be back to normal

14 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Whilst correct in saying that although we were relegated, we weren't a poor side, that side has been decimated. Lost both keepers, both full backs, leading goalscorer, 2 good young wide players and the manager, amongst others.

Whilst we've made some good signings, they're all players no longer wanted by their clubs and we've virtually starting from scratch.

That said, very early signs are encouraging.

Admittedly I was disappointed to lose Alsop, but Roos is more than replaceable.  Hopefully Forsyth will resign.  Lawrence is obviously a big miss but I'm confident Barkhauzen & NML can compensate for those goals &  assists between them.  I think we've a definite upgrade in attack with McGoldrick and Collins.  Let's face it, if we'd had a decent Championship 1 in 3 striker last season we'd have stopped up.  

I'm still confident of a successful season.

Boring answer but it all depends on the context.

I expect us to start slowly and get more consistent as we go through the season. That might mean missing out on top 2 or top 6 or whatever but as long as there’s promising signs I don’t think I’ll mind.

Obviously if we start off like a train and then falter there’ll be disappointment but it won’t be because I’ve expected us to finish in the top X, will just be because it looked like we might.

I think we should probably be capable of top 6 but we will need to be patient.

I think my biggest disappointment if we don’t go up will be losing players like Knight and Bird and probably Sibley

36 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Just skim reading some of the last posts on here.....opinion seems to be we weren't relegated last season because we were a poor side.

If we weren't a poor side then why did we lose 10 away games out of 12 this year? Pretty horrendous stat. 

Talk about using selective stats to make a point (have you trained to be a politician ?). Interesting that you have focused purely on our away form during the second half of the season ignoring the away form for the season as a whole (not that it was great in the first half but it was probably not much worse than average) and our home form.

Edited by Tamworthram

1 hour ago, GenBr said:

We will still have a far higher income than most of the teams in League one and even under a fairly strict business plan we will still easily have one of the highest wage bills in the league. 

Lucky we'll have a commensurately higher income too then.

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Just skim reading some of the last posts on here.....opinion seems to be we weren't relegated last season because we were a poor side.

If we weren't a poor side then why did we lose 10 away games out of 12 this year? Pretty horrendous stat. 

We weren't relegated because we were a poor side. We were relegated because we had 21 points deducted. Without the points deduction we would have finished well clear of the relegation zone.

We were by no means a fantastic side and yes you could argue what ifs and whatabouts all day, but we were not one of the three worst teams last year. Not that it really matters though - most of that team doesn't even play for us now - won't really help us next season.

28 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Talk about using selective stats to make a point (have you trained to be a politician ?). Interesting that you have focused purely on our away form during the second half of the season ignoring the away form for the season as a whole (not that it was great in the first half but it was probably not much worse than average) and our home form.

OK in the away games preceding this still in the same season we lost 6 out of 13 of the away games we played, only winning  twice - against Hull and Stoke. 

So out of 25 away games in total we lost 16 of them or a 64% losing rate or a 20% ppg conversion rate of points realised against possible points - meaning we had to play 5 away games just to get 3 points on the board. 

Does that not strike you as a poor team? If not then what else can this horrendous conversion rate be attributed to which is my original question that still stands.