Liam Rosenior

20 minutes ago, desirelines said:

I hope no one is getting all misty eyed about Rooney. Just checked out DC United’s results since he took over ?

Why would we? LR is hardly doing a stinker of a job (unless he is expected to win every game 5-0).  Doubt Rooney would have been doing much better. We were hardly stellar away from home under him, so can’t see why anybody would assume results so far would be different.

15 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Why would we? LR is hardly doing a stinker of a job (unless he is expected to win every game 5-0).  Doubt Rooney would have been doing much better. We were hardly stellar away from home under him, so can’t see why anybody would assume results so far would be different.

? They're not really, are you saying he is he still here? ?

To be honest I just think you have a few players who aren’t quite 100% in their sharpness so it isn’t quite clicking. Hourihane, for example, is starting the season how Bryson always started seasons where he’d be a yard off and chasing shadows. You’d be looking at 8 games before it all started to click and I think that is what is happening now after not having the best of pre-seasons.

I see a side who are getting in the right positions and something not quite coming off, be it an off pass or not reacting quick enough to another players run. I’d rather have that than having a feeling that no one knows what they are meant to be doing.

So yeah, how much is tactical and how much is it down to players not being quite there yet? Bit of patience is probably needed rather than everyone picking pro/anti Rosenior sides 4 games into a season.

Edited by TuffLuff

2 hours ago, nottingram said:

Ultimately I think people are just reaching at things to confirm their own biases.

Yeah, that is getting on my nerves. Classic aping of certain sections of the media, where an opinion has to formed asap, then everything has to be moulded to fit into this narrative.

Main thing to ignore was the match away at Charlton, where we were really attacking, created loads of good chances and were very unlucky not to win.

32 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Yeah, that is getting on my nerves. Classic aping of certain sections of the media, where an opinion has to formed asap, then everything has to be moulded to fit into this narrative.

Main thing to ignore was the match away at Charlton, where we were really attacking, created loads of good chances and were very unlucky not to win.

I agree, so why didn't we play like that, or the way we played some of preseason? 

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

I was there, albeit quite drunk, but did we actually create as much as being touted that day?

From hazy memory

Collins one on one, chance created by us, got to score 

Collins hits post, defensive error/Collins strength got him in

Mendez back heel, scramble in the box, should connect better 

Knight header, created by us, got to score

Have I missed any?

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Former defender favours defensive line-up shocker.

Hardly surprising, is it? 

Get yourself a forward coach, Liam, you know it makes sense! 

Yeah, that's what Dave Mackay and Jim Smith did. Oh wait.....

McClaren wasn't all that an attacking midfielder from what I remember. Lampard was so I will brush over that ?

Cloughie Sr. was a forward, as he reminded everyone, but he was obsessed with building the defence and keeping clean sheets (cue: pun fest). I think because playing for Boro or Sunderland, forget which, he scored a hat trick but his team still lost 5-3. He tore into the defenders after the game: "How many do I need to score for us to win a game?"

Clough Jr. was also a forward, and his main criticism on here is for being too negative.

Edited by IslandExile

3 hours ago, nottingram said:

but using an argument that we’re 17th in the league for quality of chances created and ignoring that we’re top of the league for quality of chances given away is selective and ridiculous when both are as important as each other, and the control of the games that we have played so far is a big reason we are not giving many chances away. The game we allowed to become end to end is the one we lost!

Ultimately I think people are just reaching at things to confirm their own biases.

I think the midfield does need to become slightly more dynamic but this is going to be a really tricky area to get right. If Sibley/McGoldrick plays instead of Smith as an example then Hourihane is going to have to play a more defensive role as a consequence - is this sensible when Hourihane is quite clearly a very good weapon going forwards? These are things that do need sorting and I dare one of the reasons we are playing fairly safe at the moment is because LR knows this

There really does not need to be an inquest into the style of play when we have 7 points from 4 games and you could make an argument we should have more.

If you remember you were the one who brought up the xG stat yesterday...but now you're saying that we shouldn't use this as a metric as it doesn't give you the answer you're looking for to fit your narrative to paraphrase some other posters....just saying.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

I agree, so why didn't we play like that, or the way we played some of preseason? 

That is a valid opinion and an ok debate to have. Maybe we looked to tighten up a bit after been so open vs Charlton and we didn't get it quite right, especially the way Shrews set up. I still think it's a semi-pointless debate at this stage, but people love to disect every game like they have some extra special insight.

Saying Liam has lost all the goodwill, that Houraine took the cowards way out, saying this is still just like Cocu (even though nearly all personal have changed), saying this sort of football didn't work last season (when we did so well under the circumstances and went down due to deductions), saying we are very unsurprised and disappointed at the way things are going...all that sort of stuff just makes any genuine points look daft.

If you ever listen to any decent pundits/ex-players, the sort people are trying to emulate in here with their amazing knowledge, they usually always go on about how things take time to get right, especially attacking routines and play. But that doesn't generate much reaction or controversy. Or attention.

Edited by ariotofmyown

55 minutes ago, DerbyRevolution said:

I was there, albeit quite drunk, but did we actually create as much as being touted that day?

From hazy memory

Collins one on one, chance created by us, got to score 

Collins hits post, defensive error/Collins strength got him in

Mendez back heel, scramble in the box, should connect better 

Knight header, created by us, got to score

Have I missed any?

I think there were more, but 4 clear goalscoring opportunities sounds pretty decent to me.

5 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

If you remember you were the one who brought up the xG stat yesterday...but now you're saying that we shouldn't use this as a metric as it doesn't give you the answer you're looking for to fit your narrative to paraphrase some other posters....just saying.

I have absolutely no interest in going over this again as it bored the life out of me yesterday let alone anyone else who had to read it.

Of course you can use it as a metric if you also consider the xG you are giving up to provide some sort of context around it. You seemed to not be doing that which is very selective. I am not sat here saying everything is great because we have the best defence in the league. Source I was using (Experimental 361) had match timelines which had us winning or drawing every game so far in that regard, albeit narrowly, which was why I brought it up.

Feel free to respond but my reply will probably be delayed as I am off to paint my living room walls the same colour and then watch them dry as I simply have to do something more interesting.

Inquest, nauseating and entitled. Words being used to describe forum members to have the temerity to even discuss potential improvements LR could make in the playing style or tactics of his team.

Think the people making those comments need to have a little self reflection themselves on the crassness of their own posts. 

After all I was told this was a football discussion forum. Obviously not in some folks eyes.