Liam Rosenior

4 hours ago, CBRammette said:

When things were at their lowest some were in favour of leaving MM with stadium and starting a phoenix club. Imagine if Ashley had bought us and paid the minimum so we were starting with another points deduction. Based on the comments on here both scenarios would have gone down well! I dont think where we were at is a carte blanche for this season to be a write off with zero expectation but I think some of the comments so far are ridiculous at this stage. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I am happy to see how the squad gels and what combinations, formations, etc work well for LR (as long as we win at Cambridge!!!!). COYR??

And if wr don't? ?

1 hour ago, nottingram said:

Collins x 2 and Knight, versus Charlton, were I would argue a bit more than decent chances.

How many teams do you think are creating multiple good to very good chances per game at this level? How many have against us?

Collins x 2, Mendez-Laing backheel, Knight and Sibley, all decent chances. 

In terms of our Plan B, I think LR can afford to mix up the formation during the game to pull the opposition around a bit more and create space.

It's accepted we are playing with inverted fullbacks and touch line hugging wingers as our baseline structure. During the game it wouldn't be massively difficult to push the wingers to inside forwards, dropping our DMs back and creating space for the full backs to overlap. The wingers could then join in with Collins to capitalise on cut backs and second balls.

Roberts, perhaps isn't the right player for this but Fozzy is and Knight's adaptability could allow for this too mix it up when teams are rigidly banked in.

This would be a relatively minor change to keep opposition guessing, allow us to retain the possession based style and exploit the spaces further up the pitch. It would be nice to think LR had the confidence to try something like this, I just hope he takes the risk to allow us to be a little more fluid, when we are met with narrow banks of four. 

I've probably played too much football manager to be fair, I guess it ain't always that easy.

All in all though, I think we've created more than enough chances to win each game. I don't buy the argument that we haven't created enough, even against a very dogged Shrewsbury side. What I think we have truly lacked is sharpness and better decision making in the moment. 12 points wouldn't flatter us based on what I've seen but we have a solid SEVEN and that's football.

If anyone watched on RamsTV you’ll have seen a good interview with Mark Clemmit.  He did a spot on Football Focus on Saturday.  He said he hopes it comes good for is for this season but, importantly, if it doesn’t we have stability a stop the hiring and firing of managers.  That’s one of the reasons we’re here, as has been discussed before.

Rosenior is learning and we need to be patient.  When we went down in ‘84 it was pretty similar.  Just been rescued from the brink, new manager (OK, more experienced), new players.  We finished 7th (no play-offs in those days) and after 4 games we’d won 1, drawn 1 and lost 2.  Imagine the reaction today!!

I watched the Brentford coach talking about going direct against the bigger teams in the premier league and it was very interesting to hear him speak how the ability to mix things up is important.

This is something Liam needs to realise especially in a physical league like league 1. We have the height in Collins, so let’s get the midfield around him every so often, rather than being insistent in playing out every time! 

LR has had a good start for me and happy with the 4 games overall, I do hope though he can see room for improvements in mixing up the play from what we have seen. Because then I am confident he has assembled the team and players to do something in this league and that is to his credit.

I watched Steve Cotterill's interview post Shrewsbury and it is somewhat eye-opening how we broadcast so blatantly how we will always play, as you'd expect he confirmed he had his players fully briefed on the Derby modus operandi, including ofc trying to capitalise on our mistakes, mentioned talking to his players before the game and telling them to feel free to have a pop at our goal if the opportunity presents itself with our keeper playing a "third of the way up the pitch"...on those tactics said with a smirk "I don't mind a goal keeper getting involved in the build up but not sure I'd want him as high as he is...but that is not my decision". This may be great possession football but this isn't a style of football that seems to be worrying our opponents and we do have a lot of very good players for this level which opponents should fear. I can have balance too and didn't disagree with Shrew's fans assessments, essentially an awful lot of the ball, mostly in low danger areas to them, often times in high danger areas for us at the back, and very little done with it.

I do think we will win at the weekend so expecting that to consolidate a good start, always room to improve though.

Theres a fair bit of rubbish being spoken at the moment. Lots of tactical geniuses around. 

I wonder if any of them had considered that 6 weeks on from being rescued by David Clowes and only 4 games in, we're actually doing quite well.

We were never going to hit the ground running and rip teams apart. We need a a foundation first, a very clear default position before we can even think about anything else.

This is very clearly being instilled at the moment. We can then expand our game as the 13 (THIRTEEN) new players get used to the system that LR wants to employ.

I would quite happily settle for 15 pts from the first 10 games and said so before a ball had been kicked. That's a decent base to build from. 

There are 126 points to play for. I expect we'll win more of those points than we'll miss out on. 

Common sense is needed whilst the system is being implemented.

4 hours ago, IslandExile said:

There's talking about football in a reasoned, considered manner and there's calling for a manager to be sacked after four leagues games, two of which were won and only one lost - unluckily at that.

Constructive criticism is fine but over the top mardy reactions with the arrogance that we should win every game in this league....nah.

Not sacked, just change the tactics and mentality before it costs us any more points 

For those saying it's just our strikers not firing yet or us not being able to afford good ones, we're 17th out of 24 in the third division in terms of the number/quality of chances we've created and joint 18th in terms of the number of goals we've actually scored. In Division Three. This amply demonstrates we're scoring what you'd expect from the number of chances the team is creating through RoseyBall.

The glaringly obvious problem remains we're hardly creating any chances. Very much like last season. If we want to exit this league in the right direction we have to score a lot more goals. To match the current top teams we need to double the average number of good chances we're making, which is a massive change. 

Rosenior isn't stupid but he appears to have a blindspot over this. He bangs on about the chances we are creating and the goals will surely come because of this, but these chances are an illusion, a figment of his imagination. No one wants him sacked but we do need him to wake up and smell the coffee. To see his midfield picks and method of play aren't working.

It only needs small tweaks. Starting Sibley for the next several games and moving Knight alongside him in midfield would change everything. We have other options for makeshift right backs. We don't have other options for dangerous attacking midfielders who will carry the ball at pace, shoot when the opportunity arises, and take risks around the opponent's box to score goals. 

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

For those saying it's just our strikers not firing yet or us not being able to afford good ones, we're 17th out of 24 in the third division in terms of the number/quality of chances we've created and joint 18th in terms of the number of goals we've actually scored. In Division Three. This amply demonstrates we're scoring what you'd expect from the number of chances the team is creating through RoseyBall.

The glaringly obvious problem remains we're hardly creating any chances. Very much like last season. If we want to exit this league in the right direction we have to score a lot more goals. To match the current top teams we need to double the average number of good chances we're making, which is a massive change. 

Rosenior isn't stupid but he appears to have a blindspot over this. He bangs on about the chances we are creating and the goals will surely come because of this, but these chances are an illusion, a figment of his imagination. No one wants him sacked but we do need him to wake up and smell the coffee. To see his midfield picks and method of play aren't working.

It only needs small tweaks. Starting Sibley for the next several games and moving Knight alongside him in midfield would change everything. We have other options for makeshift right backs. We don't have other options for dangerous attacking midfielders who will carry the ball at pace, shoot when the opportunity arises, and take risks around the opponent's box to score goals. 

I've just flipped a coin 4 times and got 3 heads. This amply demonstrates that 75% of coin flips will come up heads. Who would have thought it? 

Geez, some of the conclusions reached on here after 4 games is genuinely mind-boggling.

Best one was that Liam has used up all the goodwill.

15 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

In my opinion every second half has been poor

Erm Oxford? When you are saying "every" and only have a sample of 4 games to go on, you can't really ignore the 25% of games where we vastly improved on a tough first half.

Charlton 2nd half poor is a big stretch too. We dominated most of the 2nd half and Knight missed a glorious chance. 

2 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I've just flipped a coin 4 times and got 3 heads. This amply demonstrates that 75% of coin flips will come up heads. Who would have thought it? 

Geez, some of the conclusions reached on here after 4 games is genuinely mind-boggling.

Best one was that Liam has used up all the goodwill.

I think you are almost as guilty of hyperbole and picking statements to suit your narrative as much as the people you are criticising.

There really isn't much difference in the opinions!

Everyone agrees we have done well to cobble a talented team together, that we have done ok to get 7 points from 12 and generally are looking very competitive for this league.

However, some people feel we have been a bit pass, pass, pass across the backline in a manner not quick enough to tire out the opposition, change angles or create space. Also that our midfield has been a bit samey so doesn't break the lines, run at players or shoot enough.  That with a slightly more positive attitude and/or change in selection we will comfortably be top 6 and maybe be pushing for top 2 rather than accepting mid-table. 

That's it. There are VERY few people saying anything other than that. That a few tweaks would make us more dangerous and enjoyable to watch. I agree its very early days and that once talk starts it can quickly get out of control, but other posters have said its 'nauseating' and that posters are hideously 'entitied' etc. That's just as OTT as heavily criticising Liam after 4 games.

The self-flagellation is getting a bit much at times. It's a forum full of fans who want us to do well, some vocalisation of ambition and desire to succeed isn't a bad thing. 

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

I think you are almost as guilty of hyperbole and picking statements to suit your narrative as much as the people you are criticising.

There really isn't much difference in the opinions!

Everyone agrees we have done well to cobble a talented team together, that we have done ok to get 7 points from 12 and generally are looking very competitive for this league.

However, some people feel we have been a bit pass, pass, pass across the backline in a manner not quick enough to tire out the opposition, change angles or create space. Also that our midfield has been a bit samey so doesn't break the lines, run at players or shoot enough.  That with a slightly more positive attitude and/or change in selection we will comfortably be top 6 and maybe be pushing for top 2 rather than accepting mid-table. 

That's it. There are VERY few people saying anything other than that. That a few tweaks would make us more dangerous and enjoyable to watch. I agree its very early days and that once talk starts it can quickly get out of control, but other posters have said its 'nauseating' and that posters are hideously 'entitied' etc. That's just as OTT as heavily criticising Liam after 4 games.

The self-flagellation is getting a bit much at times. It's a forum full of fans who want us to do well, some vocalisation of ambition and desire to succeed isn't a bad thing. 

I agree with what you are generally saying but I think lots of it is going beyond just saying “the midfield balance isn’t quite right at the moment”. There are people who clearly don’t agree with the passing style of football and that’s fine - but using an argument that we’re 17th in the league for quality of chances created and ignoring that we’re top of the league for quality of chances given away is selective and ridiculous when both are as important as each other, and the control of the games that we have played so far is a big reason we are not giving many chances away. The game we allowed to become end to end is the one we lost!

Ultimately I think people are just reaching at things to confirm their own biases.

I think the midfield does need to become slightly more dynamic but this is going to be a really tricky area to get right. If Sibley/McGoldrick plays instead of Smith as an example then Hourihane is going to have to play a more defensive role as a consequence - is this sensible when Hourihane is quite clearly a very good weapon going forwards? These are things that do need sorting and I dare one of the reasons we are playing fairly safe at the moment is because LR knows this

There really does not need to be an inquest into the style of play when we have 7 points from 4 games and you could make an argument we should have more.

8 minutes ago, nottingram said:

There really does not need to be an inquest into the style of play when we have 7 points from 4 games and you could make an argument we should have more.

That is exactly what posters are doing. Arguing we should have had more.

9 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I think the midfield does need to become slightly more dynamic but this is going to be a really tricky area to get right.

Indeed and yet it is the area where we have the strongest choice.

There's a long way to go but I'm sure you'd be expecting some change in the team, so why can't we talk about that.