Sponsorship

7 hours ago, DerbyRevolution said:

I like many beers at games, and in general, but recently have been trying to cut down.

Whilst avoiding events or situations, you often hear, 'just come and have one' 

I'm curious, and this is a question to people that, 'just have one beer' 

Is there any real point in having one beer? When you've drunk up there's no real difference to your physical or mental state and you paid £5 for the privilege. 

Look all I am saying people want to drink just go over the top like some day.

23 hours ago, jono said:

The sad thing is that local businesses don’t have the clout they used to have, they are too busy fighting to survive rather than being community focused. (Not all of course ! ) The crazy world of football finance steers clubs towards the dross who have our money to burn. Betting companies, Payday lenders and Lord knows what. 

I am old fashioned enough to think your football club should be sponsored in the greater part by the royalty of local industry. We have Beer, Jet engines, Railway trains, Caravans, property developers, motor traders and manufacturers. Some of those are involved of course it looks like football has to be promoted by something other than these now , it offends me just a little bit although I am pragmatic enough to know it’s part of life. 

I am old, out of date, definitely stuffy and opinionated, but I’d rather have a local scrap merchant sponsoring us than a betting company which regardless of morality is in my view an unworthy endeavour that adds little to the world 

Once HM Gov't realised they could raise £ millions (£ billions?) through relaxing gambling regulations, there was only ever going to be one outcome.... and no possibility of a reversal. 

14 minutes ago, europia said:

Once HM Gov't realised they could raise £ millions (£ billions?) through relaxing gambling regulations, there was only ever going to be one outcome.... and no possibility of a reversal. 

Yes, you have a point but there have always been “turf accountants” and if you regulate that industry too much it just becomes a larger slice of the criminal underworld. At least they are in plain sight now. 
I don’t think there is an easy answer. I just find internet gambling distasteful in the same way as pay day loan companies, pressure selling of everyday products with obscene mark ups and all that multi level marketing BS. I mean really ? 

As I think I remarked earlier, I am a bit crusty with an outmoded view of what’s proper. Probably explains why I have bumbled through life in my own steady way. Enough good not to get burned but it seems to “win” there’s a ruthless streak needed

9 hours ago, David said:

I’ve come up with a plan which focuses on the health of supporters and the future of this planet. If we want a morally acceptable sponsor, I feel like we should go all the way down that path and be a club that others aspire to be.

• Remove alcohol, fizzy drinks, burgers, pies and chips from the concourses, replace with water and salads.
  • Advise fans to bring their own reusable water bottle, plate and cutlery as we are reducing plastic usage at the club.
  • Replace the team bus with an electric one with vegan friendly interior.
  • Only allow electric cars in the stadium car parks.
  • Pride Park to be run 100% off solar power, which will mean winter games must be played during daylight hours only. Ticket office hours may also be reduced.
  • All players will be fed a strict vegan diet.
  • Kits and boots must be manufactured in the UK and wash bags brought into the stadium must be vegan friendly.
  • No advertising anywhere around the stadium for gambling, junk food, fizzy drinks, alcohol, online shopping, video games, crypto currency. Car manufacturers can only advertise their electric cars.
  • Ban the use of mobile phones inside and around the stadium.
  • No pre season tours outside of the UK unless travelling through the Euro Tunnel on our electric team bus.

Thank goodness jet setter CK did not take us over 

6 hours ago, David said:

Just to add on to this, just a sample of the numbers being reported.

400 deaths per year related to gambling.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/dec/04/bereaved-families-demand-investigation-of-every-uk-gambling-linked-suicide

https://www.gamblingwithlives.org

55,000 children addicted to gambling
https://www.gamblingwithlives.org

Around 31,000 deaths per year linked to obesity. 
https://www.bhf.org.uk/what-we-do/news-from-the-bhf/news-archive/2021/april/31000-heart-and-circulatory-deaths-obesity-each-year

28% of the adult population are obese, with 36.2% overweight.
https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn03336/

(Aware I could be potentially taking this wildly off topic, however thought it was important to show the numbers)

Obesity is bad - but you posit a whataboutery argument.  Why betting is problematic is the connection to sport of the problem, not the scale of the problem itself. 

Secondly: you raise interesting figures.  You, however, fail to contextualise them.  What percentage of those obese are football fans?  What percentage of those addicted to gambling are?  Gambling used to be horse racing and dogs, but the legalisation of new-style betting adverts meant this was taken over by football. 

Essentially, the direct comparative to your argument is whether McDonald's should be allowed to sponsor Healthy Eating Week.  Maybe they should, but there is a question and a debate to be had.  

10 minutes ago, CBX1985 said:

Obesity is bad - but you posit a whataboutery argument.  Why betting is problematic is the connection to sport of the problem, not the scale of the problem itself. 

Secondly: you raise interesting figures.  You, however, fail to contextualise them.  What percentage of those obese are football fans?  What percentage of those addicted to gambling are?  Gambling used to be horse racing and dogs, but the legalisation of new-style betting adverts meant this was taken over by football. 

Essentially, the direct comparative to your argument is whether McDonald's should be allowed to sponsor Healthy Eating Week.  Maybe they should, but there is a question and a debate to be had.  

Are you suggesting some people don’t like football? Weirdos!

16 hours ago, David said:

I’ve come up with a plan which focuses on the health of supporters and the future of this planet. If we want a morally acceptable sponsor, I feel like we should go all the way down that path and be a club that others aspire to be.

• Remove alcohol, fizzy drinks, burgers, pies and chips from the concourses, replace with water and salads.
  • Advise fans to bring their own reusable water bottle, plate and cutlery as we are reducing plastic usage at the club.
  • Replace the team bus with an electric one with vegan friendly interior.
  • Only allow electric cars in the stadium car parks.
  • Pride Park to be run 100% off solar power, which will mean winter games must be played during daylight hours only. Ticket office hours may also be reduced.
  • All players will be fed a strict vegan diet.
  • Kits and boots must be manufactured in the UK and wash bags brought into the stadium must be vegan friendly.
  • No advertising anywhere around the stadium for gambling, junk food, fizzy drinks, alcohol, online shopping, video games, crypto currency. Car manufacturers can only advertise their electric cars.
  • Ban the use of mobile phones inside and around the stadium.
  • No pre season tours outside of the UK unless travelling through the Euro Tunnel on our electric team bus.

Rammy and Eweie to be replaced by a none binary “Sheepy”

Notices round the ground to discourage reductive booing of opponents

No away end, The Rams support inclusivity 

The committee did think about a Tree Hugging initiative but thought that would be a step too far

45 minutes ago, minesahartington said:

Don’t have winners or losers but just “enjoyers”? Abolish score keeping?

I believe a few years back, Some schools adopted this practice citing...losing affects pupils confidence 

Billie Joe Armstrong Applause GIF by Green Day

If stuff keeps getting banned, where is the most human of needs - freedom of choice.

I totally get that these are all very real issues but just banning them isn't the answer - education, support, leadership - are all far better ways of solving societal issues. Not easy to do but far less damaging to society as a whole than imposing the will of the few in such a controlling fashion.

If you take a step back, we're already controlled, persuaded, coerced and basically bullied in many, many ways. 

I'd be sponsored by LoveHoney which some may find distasteful but is it...? Get me?

As you were.

1 hour ago, Raich Carter said:

If stuff keeps getting banned, where is the most human of needs - freedom of choice.

I totally get that these are all very real issues but just banning them isn't the answer - education, support, leadership - are all far better ways of solving societal issues. Not easy to do but far less damaging to society as a whole than imposing the will of the few in such a controlling fashion.

If you take a step back, we're already controlled, persuaded, coerced and basically bullied in many, many ways. 

I'd be sponsored by LoveHoney which some may find distasteful but is it...? Get me?

As you were.

Freedom of choice has actually never been a human need.

That's a myth steeped in ignorance and privilege. 

Hunter gathers had no choice whether to hunt or gather.

It was hunt or die.

Drink this clean water or die.

And in other times, fight (or join the army) or die.

Or pay taxes or die (or at least lose you liberty)

Should we not have banned Coca-cola from adding cocaine to their drinks or given them the freedom of choice and people the freedom of choice whether to but it?

And should we have allowed opium dens and the rampant use of heroin to have spread by allowing people to make their own choices?

Was it wrong to make it illegal for people to drive whilst drunk or to have to wear a seatbelt? Or should they have had a choice?

Perhaps we shouldn't have insisted airlines perform proper maintenance or screen luggage for bombs and given people the choice whether to risk their lives or not?

We are controlled and persuaded, but it's largely because we're ducking idiots who would self destruct in the pursuit of pleasure otherwise. 

As you were.

4 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Freedom of choice has actually never been a human need.

That's a myth steeped in ignorance and privilege. 

Hunter gathers had no choice whether to hunt or gather.

It was hunt or die.

Drink this clean water or die.

And in other times, fight (or join the army) or die.

Or pay taxes or die (or at least lose you liberty)

Should we not have banned Coca-cola from adding cocaine to their drinks or given them the freedom of choice and people the freedom of choice whether to but it?

And should we have allowed opium dens and the rampant use of heroin to have spread by allowing people to make their own choices?

Was it wrong to make it illegal for people to drive whilst drunk or to have to wear a seatbelt? Or should they have had a choice?

Perhaps we shouldn't have insisted airlines perform proper maintenance or screen luggage for bombs and given people the choice whether to risk their lives or not?

We are controlled and persuaded, but it's largely because we're ducking idiots who would self destruct in the pursuit of pleasure otherwise. 

As you were.

Spongebob Squarepants Reaction GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

As you were.

This is absolutely spot on ?

Netflix... The Spiders Web...Britain's 2nd Empire

image.png.44773baa6f17ff24a8bf1ba7fdc14f36.png