Sponsorship

1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

A betting company doesnt make me bet more, a food company doesnt make me eat more & a bank doesnt make me want to move banks

That isn't how advertising works or is meant to work..

Most advertising is for brand awareness, not necessarily to increase use and/or consumption. This is especially the case with mature markets.

It can sometime be to raise awareness fro new brands or market segments, but the vast majority isn't done for that purpose.

Almost everybody thinks they're immune to advertising and almost nobody is. That is its real power.

As Keyser Soze said in The Usual Suspects, the greatest trick the devil ever played was to make people think he doesn't exist. That is EXACTLY what advertising does on people like you mate. 

Personally, I hope we avoid betting companies and alcohol companies too.

The reality is that alcohol destroys a LOT more lives than betting does, but we are mostly ok with that.

I wonder why?

France banned alcohol advertising in sport 20+ years ago. But sport didn't suffer. And in conjunction with reducing the breath limit for driving from 80 down to 50 they halved the cases of death from cirrhosis and massively reduced drink related deaths.

1 minute ago, EnigmaRam said:

But had a father who was. 

So you are well aware then that talking logically as a non addict and how addicts think differently and are subject to a wide range of influences, are two completely different things ? My uncle lost his marriage, his kids, his house and his job through gambling and currently lives in a bed sit. Advertising be it on tv or at football grounds will have had an impact and reinforced the addiction, influences that me and you could take or leave…

6 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Not Derby, but best and most apt sponsor I’ve seen recently was LOTUS on the Norwich shirt. Local firm and the right colour shirt for the logo.

It is a good link but I don’t really understand what Lotus get out of it. In my mind, sponsorship is all about brand recognition. Some people, especially when using things like price comparison sites, may well chose the first one they’ve heard of. Similarly, if you want to make a bet, your first thought might be 32Red. Hence the power of sponsorship.

When it comes to buying a car, not many of us are going to consider a Lotus. I never understood why Bombardier sponsored us. Not many folk are in the market for buying a train.

3 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

That isn't how advertising works or is meant to work..

Most advertising is for brand awareness, not necessarily to increase use and/or consumption. This is especially the case with mature markets.

It can sometime be to raise awareness fro new brands or market segments, but the vast majority isn't done for that purpose.

Almost everybody thinks they're immune to advertising and almost nobody is. That is its real power.

As Keyser Soze said in The Usual Suspects, the greatest trick the devil ever played was to make people think he doesn't exist. That is EXACTLY what advertising does on people like you mate. 

Personally, I hope we avoid betting companies and alcohol companies too.

The reality is that alcohol destroys a LOT more lives than betting does, but we are mostly ok with that.

I wonder why?

France banned alcohol advertising in sport 20+ years ago. But sport didn't suffer. And in conjunction with reducing the breath limit for driving from 80 down to 50 they halved the cases of death from cirrhosis and massively reduced drink related deaths.

What he said ?

So, when does this thread get moved into the Jim Smith room? It seems to have precious little to do with sponsorship of the club shirt and more about the rights and wrongs of betting and the psychology of advertising. 

1 hour ago, LazloW said:

So, when does this thread get moved into the Jim Smith room? It seems to have precious little to do with sponsorship of the club shirt and more about the rights and wrongs of betting and the psychology of advertising. 

You missed the entire point of why this could be extremely relevant to our club.

Derby could make a vehement public stand that they won't accept alcohol or betting sponsorship because they care about the physical and mental wellbeing of their supporters.

Do you think that has precious little to do with the people in this group? Most of whom will have been harmed, or know somebody harmed by alcohol or gambling?

Derby could stimulate a wave of support from people outside of our usual support base. A bit like Forest Green with being organic and carbon neutral (I think) did, but on a MUCH bigger level.

That would create crapload of national publicity that could possibly bring in a bigger sponsor who wants to be associated with that ground swell of feeling and support.

Radical change is often preceded by radical actions that only after the event look like common sense. At the time they look like commercial suicide.

My comments have got everything to do with Derby and our future success. I know plenty of marketing groups I can go and post in if that is my objective. 

4 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

You missed the entire point of why this could be extremely relevant to our club.

Derby could make a vehement public stand that they won't accept alcohol or betting sponsorship because they care about the physical and mental wellbeing of their supporters.

Do you think that has precious little to do with the people in this group? Most of whom will have been harmed, or know somebody harmed by alcohol or gambling?

Derby could stimulate a wave of support from people outside of our usual support base. A bit like Forest Green with being organic and carbon neutral (I think) did, but on a MUCH bigger level.

That would create crapload of national publicity that could possibly bring in a bigger sponsor who wants to be associated with that ground swell of feeling and support.

Radical change is often preceded by radical actions that only after the event look like common sense. At the time they look like commercial suicide.

My comments have got everything to do with Derby and our future success. I know plenty of marketing groups I can go and post in if that is my objective. 

Extremely well put ?

I don't really care who sponsors us tbh, I've got not qualms re. betting companies etc.  A good or bad logo can make a difference as to whether I buy a shirt or not though - its personal opinion of course, but some in recent times have been awful.

I've picked up a couple of the training tops the new signings have been revealed in - nice shirt, decent quality and no crappy sponsorship logo (other than the shirt brand which is acceptable imho)

Edited by maxjam

3 minutes ago, Tricky1884 said:

You reap what you sow I'd like us to stand out for the right reasons go local or have something like Mind the Mental health charity.  I'm not woke just like to stand out for good things not bad. 

The club needs money. 

If we were receiving prem money or Champions league money, I'd be all for giving the space away for free to a local charity.