Premier League | 22/23 Season

Day

5 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

I’m very 50/50 on that first United goal, because the City defence stop and once that happens it’s not automatically on the officials to stop the game. The city defence and Ederson have enough time and are in a postion to defend that properly, because they all but gave up believing Rashford to be offside shouldn’t be a reason to disallow it imo. I see the other side to this, and obviously if it happened to Derby I’d be first one on at the officials, but in a VAR led officiating system it’s an even more extreme version of playing to the whistle in my opinion. You have to keep playing and then let VAR sort out the mess afterwards.

oh come on its clearly off. if rashford isnt there then the man city defenders react completely differently to the ball.

that is interfering with play. i think its either a poor decision or an awful rule that needs changing instantly.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

8 minutes ago, alram said:

oh come on its clearly off. if rashford isnt there then the man city defenders react completely differently to the ball.

that is interfering with play. i think its either a poor decision or an awful rule that needs changing instantly.

But they shouldn’t react differently. Play to the whistle and Fernandez is still there to knock it in. No one has whistled, so there’s still a threat to take care of.

They’ve often moaned about linesmen being told to not raise their flag when someone is in an offside position now, when there is a risk of someone potentially getting injured while defending an attack that is just going to get pulled back.

this is maybe why they do that. If the linesman had flagged, everyone would’ve stopped. No flag, everyone should’ve carried on, and in the end, Rashford didn’t get in anyone’s way, so it’s a perfectly good goal by Fernandez. So linesman is right not to flag and let play develop. 

15 hours ago, David said:

I can see players queuing up to join Everton with fans behaving like that. At this point they are lashing out at everyone, whilst I can understand their frustrations, being relegated isn't the end of the world.

What about managers? The plot thickens, this could get messy.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/jan/15/questions-mount-over-alisher-usmanovs-links-with-everton-fc

2 hours ago, alram said:

I agree in that if it happened to derby then I would be in uproar, but I’m talking as a neutral and someone who was a defensive player. City have three players who could have done something but none of them committed and wanted the officials to sort it out for them. In a world that’s now dominated by VAR I’m not sure you can play that way, and to be honest I think I’d rather my defenders would deal with a situation and sort everything else afterwards.

Arsenal's year this, incredible really as I don't think anybody would have honestly seen this coming in the summer.

Always been one of the likeable teams to watch for as long as I can remember, just a shame that success gives the tools at Arsenal TV something to be happy about.

2 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

But they shouldn’t react differently. Play to the whistle and Fernandez is still there to knock it in. No one has whistled, so there’s still a threat to take care of.

They’ve often moaned about linesmen being told to not raise their flag when someone is in an offside position now, when there is a risk of someone potentially getting injured while defending an attack that is just going to get pulled back.

this is maybe why they do that. If the linesman had flagged, everyone would’ve stopped. No flag, everyone should’ve carried on, and in the end, Rashford didn’t get in anyone’s way, so it’s a perfectly good goal by Fernandez. So linesman is right not to flag and let play develop. 

And when they play to the whistle, do they concentrate solely on Fernandez, "Knowing" any touch by Rashford gets the offside call?  Or do they hedge their bets, and also cover Rashford, just in case the obvious off-side get's missed by the officials, should Fernandez play Rashford in?
Of course, this problem goes away if the obviously off-side Rashford stands still with arms in the air, as if to say "Yeah... I know... Ignore me"!

Does this now mean every attacker that knows he is in an off-side position is still going to chase, and get as close to the ball as he can... without actually touching it?
What about the Liverpool example, where nobody touches the ball, but the flag goes up anyway, the ref whistles, and play is stopped for a Brighton free-kick for off-side?

They can't both be correct decisions!

If they really must play to the whistle (A mantra I have always been 100% in favour of... until yesterday!), it has to be acknowledged that every oppo player in the vicinity needs to be considered as being involved in the play, and needs to be attended to accordingly.

It's an absolute mess, and I suspect rule changes need to be made to tidy it up.
As it stands, literally nobody has a clue what's going on!  

3 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Nothing to do with playing to the whistle

the positioning of the defender changed based on rashfords position.

Akanji doesn't try to block Fernandes or go to try and tackle him because he occupied by Rashford. He would have engaged the ball quicker if rashford was not involved. for me it is wrong that goal was allowed.

Edited by alram

26 minutes ago, David said:

Lifetime ban incoming.

Along with possible criminal record. Years ago you could get away with this stuff, but t.v camera’s everywhere in grounds, you have to have a few screws lose to think that’s smart and you’re not going to get punished!

46 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Along with possible criminal record. Years ago you could get away with this stuff, but t.v camera’s everywhere in grounds, you have to have a few screws lose to think that’s smart and you’re not going to get punished!

Looked female, especially the way they legged it back up the seats ?

I just got around to watching the Man Utd goal. I think if you allow that goal, then defenders can no longer play the offside trap. Because one player from behind can just run through while the defenders stop knowing the original target (in this case Rashford) is offside. 

On the other hand, the result has made the title race more interesting. It may just be Arsenal’s year.