Louis Sibley - make or break season?

1 hour ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

I think this season could be make or break for Sibley as a Derby player. For whatever reason, he's never kicked on from his outstanding early performances in the first team, but with the departures this summer, he has a great opportunity to establish himself as our first choice attacking midfielder. Ability-wise, he should stand out at League One level if given the opportunity to play regularly, but I fear that if it doesn't happen for him this season, at 21 we might need to accept he isn't going to be the outstanding player at Derby we hoped he could be.

He was outstanding under cocu and his system which had sibbers playing off either waghorn or martin.

I just feel that the tactics under Rooney's regime were not conducive to the sort of play that suited Sibley's abilities (or indeed to many goals being scored at all)

Hopefully Rosenior will have a better and different view of the systems and pattern of play that's encourages bringing players like Sibley and knight back into goal scoring positions and we will be much better for it.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

11 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

He was outstanding under cocu and his system which had sibbers playing off either waghorn or martin.

I just feel that the tactics under Rooney's regime were not conducive to the sort of play that suited Sibley's abilities (or indeed to many goals being scored at all)

Hopefully Rosenior will have a better and different view of the systems and pattern of play that's encourages bringing players like Sibley and knight back into goal scoring positions and we will be much better for it.

I think you have a point. When he first came on the scene I thought woooa  stonking young AM with a shot on him and a combative attitude. Did we have a Championship budding Paul Scholes on our books ?  Now I am no tactician or formation expert but after all that, he seemed to end up somewhere kind of vaguely advanced and leftish. The blitz/ joy bomber component seemed to have been taken from him, then to make an impact he was tempted to over play, try too hard, whatever but he wasn’t in the areas where he should have been for his skill set. 

The thing we all like about Sibley is that he buzzes around the pitch. When he gets the ball he runs with it and gets shots off at goal. This has worked for us in the last season him coming off the bench against tiring opposition, like Peterborough at home where he scored the late winner. To become a better player and be a regular starter in midfield, Sibley needs to learn how to keep the ball. He needs to become a better passer of the ball and improve his awareness. 

i cant believe people are suggesting make or break

the kid is 20 years old, players hardly have first team appearences under their belt until past this age and hes played over 60 games.

sibley has plenty of time on his side to be around our squad for years yet before we can even realise his potential.

we should take the opportunity whilst his stock is quite low to give him a new long term deal, we have to start protecting our assets

Edited by alram

1 hour ago, Srg said:

He needs to play. He got lumped into the boat of needing to do something ridiculous in 5 mins off the bench to even be considered for the next game. Take last season where he played amazingly and won the game vs. Peterborough, kept the shirt as Lawrence was banned in the next game, and got subbed off at half time with the whole team being bad. He needs to play, he's the best attacking talent currently in the squad. Not bothered about his disciplinary record, 1 red that got rescinded is nothing. Let the kid play.

My thoughts exactly.

He won't be on massive wages, so tie him down for more than just his current year, otherwise we risk him stepping up to the plate, then getting poached for little, if anything, at the end of the season.

I'm convinced he will come good, and I want that to happen with DCFC.

4 hours ago, Ambitious said:

If you build around Sibley at this level then you've got a chance to win any game. No question his performances dropped off a cliff under Rooney, but he was still extremely outstanding in his handful of PL2 performances. 

He is such an outstanding player and if Rosenior gets a tune out of him then he could well be the catalyst for everything we want to achieve next season. 

He was 18/19 getting double marked in the Championship under Cocu. The good Rooney did for the club is undoubted, but it never clicked with Sibley at all. Players were given far more opportunities than him and performed far worse. No surprise that results dipped when we started to lean on him far less too.

He's a special footballer. 

Exactly this. Our best chance of getting promoted is to build the team around Sibley. No one else offers what he can. Also, he has the highest ceiling of any of our players, so it's good business for the club. Have him lead us to back-to-back promotions and then, if it's not working out after a couple of seasons in the Prem and we're not challenging for Europe, sell him for £100m or so. 

6 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Exactly this. Our best chance of getting promoted is to build the team around Sibley. No one else offers what he can. Also, he has the highest ceiling of any of our players, so it's good business for the club. Have him lead us to back-to-back promotions and then, if it's not working out after a couple of seasons in the Prem and we're not challenging for Europe, sell him for £100m or so. 

When he first broke into the team under Cocu, he did what Mason Mount did for us and took us from struggling in the division to within top 6 contention (obviously we didn't sustain it, but between him, Rooney & Bird we looked like a good team. The last game before COVID was a showcase of just how far we had come. 

I watched him on the same pitch as Saka in the Premier League U18 final and he was head and shoulders better - it wasn't remotely close. He was the best player almost every single time I put an academy game on and was always a threat, even if he didn't score, honestly I've never seen anything like it. 

I really hope he gets to realise his potential because it would be a shame, similar to George Thorne. 

Yep. What he needs is a run of matches and to be played in his best position. And if you look at his disciplinary record I would expect you will see an improvement over the last season.

He hit a glass ceiling under Rooney, who seemed to prefer almost anybody else, even if they were rubbish match after natch, but still got picked. Ravel Morrison us a case in point, and until Rooney played him further up the pitch than normal (which was forced by circumstance), he produced very little, stifling any forwards momentum we might have had. But he still got picked. 

Louie was hardly ever given a chance to play off CKR, which may have turned out to be a lethal combination. Instead far too often he was played out of position for the dying minutes when the match was already lost.

”All we are saying ….. is give him a chance”.

2 hours ago, alram said:

i cant believe people are suggesting make or break

the kid is 20 years old, players hardly have first team appearences under their belt until past this age and hes played over 60 games.

sibley has plenty of time on his side to be around our squad for years yet before we can even realise his potential.

we should take the opportunity whilst his stock is quite low to give him a new long term deal, we have to start protecting our assets

Yes exactly why do people put so much pressure on youngsters. I hope he is still here and has a great season but like you I thought blimey "make or break". 

I think selby needs to work his talking skills I notice when he could shoot at goal he tends to hang on to long when chance comes he leaves to late or does to much but then again he needs to build partnership with players around like others have said he needs a run of games.

3 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

I think selby needs to work his talking skills I notice when he could shoot at goal he tends to hang on to long when chance comes he leaves to late or does to much but then again he needs to build partnership with players around like others have said he needs a run of games.

Talking is ok, he needs to get his eyes for a pass working if he’s heading down a dead end.

4 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Talking is ok, he needs to get his eyes for a pass working if he’s heading down a dead end.

That's my point he needs to listen more and take advice during the game if he does this he will score more goals.

12 hours ago, Ambitious said:

If you build around Sibley at this level then you've got a chance to win any game. No question his performances dropped off a cliff under Rooney, but he was still extremely outstanding in his handful of PL2 performances. 

He is such an outstanding player and if Rosenior gets a tune out of him then he could well be the catalyst for everything we want to achieve next season. 

He was 18/19 getting double marked in the Championship under Cocu. The good Rooney did for the club is undoubted, but it never clicked with Sibley at all. Players were given far more opportunities than him and performed far worse. No surprise that results dipped when we started to lean on him far less too.

He's a special footballer. 

You praise Rooney and Sibley, but they both had a load of very poor games last season. I know LS didn’t play much but look at his player ratings when he did.   May have been a case of the wrong position, the wrong players around him. But he really is running out of chances to prove he’s the One.  

5 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

You praise Rooney and Sibley, but they both had a load of very poor games last season. I know LS didn’t play much but look at his player ratings when he did.   May have been a case of the wrong position, the wrong players around him. But he really is running out of chances to prove he’s the One.  

Let’s hope he isn’t running out of chances to have a fair chance.

Edited by DavesaRam