Louis Sibley - make or break season?

1 minute ago, Mihangel said:

There's absolutely no evidence that he's playing as a number 10 there. Well, other than he's wearing number 10. Oh, and playing where a number 10 plays. But apart from that, nothing!

Yes he played wide second striker role but not at  no 10 

6 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

I think it depends on how you want your team to play.  It's basically the same situation we had with Vydra IMO.  They're both best when on the front foot, dribbling at people, making runs into the box, getting shots off etc.  Neither of them are great at linking the play up, playing pass and move, tracking back etc.  If you want to play quite direct (not necessarily hoof-ball, but at least progressing the ball forward quickly) then they're both quite effective.  If you want to control the game, keep the ball etc, then there's nowhere to fit them in the team - they don't have the skillset to play as one of the midfielders or lone strike, and they're wasted out wide.

Agree with the vast majority of this - but I would argue Sibley's a little better at being the link than Vydra was, at the expense of how bloody good Vydra was as a finisher.

I still miss Vydra. When he was playing regularly, was such a joy. 

Anyway, I digress. As you say, it will come down to how Rosenior wants to play. Can we take any information from last season? Perhaps, but I think the next few signings will give us a bit more of a clue. Especially up top. If the McGoldrick rumour comes in, and CKR re-signs, think we'll see something in a vein of give it the big man, let him bring others like NML/Barkhuizen into play - and that would suit Sibley, IMO.

43 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Rubbish,  he was a left back in U18/23 , who loved to attack , never central midfield as his control is too flawed being one footed.

You have got to be talking about someone else?

I watched 90% of the games Sibley played in the academy since 2017 and he was always central midfield, bar the odd game out wide. 

He's never played full back, ever, not once. 

12 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Yes he played wide second striker role but not at  no 10 

That team vs. Leeds lined up 4-2-3-1.

Hector-Ingram

Bennett                        Sibley                         Wilson

So, the number 10, was playing at 10. He's not a second striker, and definitely not wide.

8 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

You have got to be talking about someone else?

I watched 90% of the games Sibley played in the academy since 2017 and he was always central midfield, bar the odd game out wide. 

He's never played full back, ever, not once. 

Rubbish he started at left back coming through lightweight with very abrasive game.

Edited by Magicman

Just now, Ambitious said:

Are you not talking about Archie Brown? He did start at fullback and then got moved onto the wing when Buchanan started playing full back. 

No he started as a wide man then went to LB in fact.

6 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Rubbish he started at left back coming through tall but lightweight very abrasive game.

No, that's not rubbish. You've now got 5 or 6 people now who regularly watched the U18s/u23 matches both live and online telling you that you're factually incorrect.

You. Are. Wrong. It really is as simple as that.

Go back and watch the games! There are plenty of highlights on the official site. Listen to the 'life in the Academy' interview from 2019 where one of the coaches talks about him 'making that midfield position his own'. Do anything but steadfastly argue that black is white!

Edited by Coconut's Beard

2 minutes ago, Coconut's Beard said:

No, that's not rubbish. You've now got 5 or 6 people now who regularly watched the U18s/u23 matches both live and online telling you that you're factually incorrect.

You. Are. Wrong. It really is as simple as that.

Go back and watch the games! Listen to the 'life in the Academy' interview from 2019 where one of the coaches talks about him 'making that midfield position his own'. Do anything but steadfastly argue that black is white!

He is still not good enough 3 years on to be a no 10 ... who cares what his  fanboyz think. 

Edited by Magicman

Just now, Magicman said:

Based on no manager we had in that time picked him much ?

That doesn’t prove he isn’t able to play as a no 10 in this team, in this season, in this league. They will have had their own reasons for not picking him, temperament seems to have been the general argument around Rooney not picking him.
People and players mature, could be that Sibley is ready to reign in the silly yellow cards, maybe he has learnt from his mistakes. He is capable of dribbling at defenders, shooting from range, passing, most of the things you would look for in an advanced midfielder/no. 10/second striker. 
We have limited options in the squad currently, it seems logical to me that we use the players we have and trust the coaches to get the most out of them.

Just now, Caerphilly Ram said:

That doesn’t prove he isn’t able to play as a no 10 in this team, in this season, in this league. They will have had their own reasons for not picking him, temperament seems to have been the general argument around Rooney not picking him.
People and players mature, could be that Sibley is ready to reign in the silly yellow cards, maybe he has learnt from his mistakes. He is capable of dribbling at defenders, shooting from range, passing, most of the things you would look for in an advanced midfielder/no. 10/second striker. 
We have limited options in the squad currently, it seems logical to me that we use the players we have and trust the coaches to get the most out of them.

Hopefully he will be moved on and prove me wrong. ?

Coventry apparently want him as O' hare replacement.   If Hourihane does come as suggested we need cash to pay his wages .  He'll want more than our ceiling.  So will need to be balanced.  Do think this one will totally bite us on the arse though if it happens.  In an attacking Coventry side he'll get 10-15 goals and next year they'll be looking to replace him.