Louis Sibley - make or break season?

I would luv sibley to shine, but he has been very poor in so many tight games. I worry he will get kicked to death in league 1, if we get offered money could well be used to rebuild wisely for far more consistent players. Every team needs flair and guile but if selling sibley gets us a few of the targets being touted especially the villa lads then so be it.

The problem for Louie is he drifts out of games for long periods, he must realise this, get frustrated and makes a rash challenge. To get the best out of him, the manager must come up with a solution to keep him in the match. May i boldly suggest playing him in his best position.

19 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

The problem for Louie is he drifts out of games for long periods, he must realise this, get frustrated and makes a rash challenge. To get the best out of him, the manager must come up with a solution to keep him in the match. May i boldly suggest playing him in his best position.

Could he appear to drift out of games because he is being played out of position.

In any team, players in the 'spine' (CB, CDM, CAM &CF) are more likely to be more involved. Players out wide appear to drift in and out of games as they match develops for many reasons.

Play him centrally, where he will get on the ball more, and he will have an impact.

Perhaps he should watch and learn off Jack Grealish (not that I'm a fan of his). Jack gets kicked at all the time, and has made that part of his game. He either beats his man, or gets a free kick. Either way, it is effective and gets the team on the front foot. The hard part is accepting that he will get kicked, and not reacting to it!

Every single side in league one and many in the championship would have Sibley in a heartbeat.

We have him and as such we need to a) develop him into the player he could be, and b) utilise him.

Give him the no. 10 role, give him regular starts and let him build up to full sharpness.

What we do with him dictates if we get £500k or £15m for him. Alright producing these players but we need someone to be able to take them to the next level.

Probably an unpopular opinion but I think his petulance is down to frustration with his own ability. He isn't the quickest and he doesn't protect the ball well enough to enjoy possession. Also at 21 he is no longer a real youngster in footballing terms 

From my perspective I sincerely hope he can step it up consistently because if not this could be it for him at Derby. 

Come on lad let's see what you can do. 

10 minutes ago, Magicman said:

He will be our no 10 or Bird play the advanced role as he has more vision, ball holding ability and experience than Sibley still who at best is a second striker role as sub.

Why would we play him somewhere he hasn't played for over 3 years, and even then it was only the odd game here and there, usually when Grealish was unavailable.

I can see a 10 and a striker being loanees. Don't think we can afford the quality we need in those positions.

A couple of players might become surplus to requirements after teams do their own business or a few free agents might not get the offers they expect, but can't really hang on until the end of August as we have such a threadbare squad.

23 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Why would we play him somewhere he hasn't played for over 3 years, and even then it was only the odd game here and there, usually when Grealish was unavailable.

Neither has Sibley played the role nor has he the ball control too either. 

3 minutes ago, Magicman said:

He came through the U18 and U23s as a left back wide man and support striker so never seen him as a no 10 ever. 

He never did!

Played left wing back for England under 17s once as I think they were just trying to fit him into the team.

He's been wasted out wide for too long. Hopefully having already signed two wide players in NML and Barkhuizen means he won't be there again this season.

That no10 role is the perfect place for him, reduce the pressure on the defensive side, reduce the risk of him picking up bookings. Let him concentrate on 

6 minutes ago, Magicman said:

He came through the U18 and U23s as a left back wide man and support striker so never seen him as a no 10 ever. 

I'm thinking you didn't watch this game:

Spent most of the game the furthest forward of a midfield three with Bird and Rooney, Lawrence and Holmes wide.

10 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Spent most of the game the furthest forward of a midfield three with Bird and Rooney, Lawrence and Holmes wide.

That’s where I’d like to see him play. I’ve got a feeling Knight will be sold and Bielik loaned out so I can see us playing a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 formation that uses Bird/Thommo (or ideally Hourihane) as the base of the midfield with Sibley further forward. Playing close to the central striker when we’re attacking and dropping deeper when we’re defending. Barkhuizen and NML either side of a central forward (Stretton/CKR if he stays or a new one). If it’s a striker who can occupy defenders, hold up play and bring others into it then Sibley has a chance to thrive. 
Isn’t it nice to think about football on the pitch rather than the drama off it ? 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram