David McGoldrick - joined Notts County

Ambitious

On 07/06/2023 at 19:54, MackworthRamIsGod said:

That is what I would Hope for.

Thing is, McGoldrick was flipping good in this division, imagine how good he would be in league 2. His signing would entice potential free transfers to choose Notts County.

McG could potentially end hia career seeing Notts County return to league 1.

and his body might be telling him to move down a division    But I think he’ll stay. He must have the eponymous chant ringing in his ears and in his dreams. Derby has been a golden autumn in his bumpy career, and he’s got a manager who lets him look after his body. I think he’ll be back for more so long as the salary can be agreed 

17 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

and his body might be telling him to move down a division    But I think he’ll stay. He must have the eponymous chant ringing in his ears and in his dreams. Derby has been a golden autumn in his bumpy career, and he’s got a manager who lets him look after his body. I think he’ll be back for more so long as the salary can be agreed 

I reckon the contract length will be the bigger consideration for him. Might be the last one he signs as a player so he might want to maximise the length.

I wouldn't have thought we'd be offering more than a year, nor do I think we should.

Whether he moves/re-signs, us the fans knowing asap is irrelevant. As long as Warne is aware of the reality and making plans accordingly then I'm relaxed.

Same with Houihane, Bird...Knight..

We didn't make the play offs with them in the team so there is room for improvement. McGoldrick is unlikely to be as good or is due an injury at his age, Hourihane flattered to deceive, Bird was a bit lightweight, Knight may bring in some cash to sign a couple of players....there's always a flip side and if they stay we can be pleased as they are decent at this level.

Warne has got out of this league regularly with less to play with. Time to trust a manager and let it play out.

4 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Whether he moves/re-signs, us the fans knowing asap is irrelevant. As long as Warne is aware of the reality and making plans accordingly then I'm relaxed.

Same with Houihane, Bird...Knight..

We didn't make the play offs with them in the team so there is room for improvement. McGoldrick is unlikely to be as good or is due an injury at his age, Hourihane flattered to deceive, Bird was a bit lightweight, Knight may bring in some cash to sign a couple of players....there's always a flip side and if they stay we can be pleased as they are decent at this level.

Warne has got out of this league regularly with less to play with. Time to trust a manager and let it play out.

My way to improve the squad is to get rid of the poorer players rather than our best ones, and get decent new players 😁

12 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Yeah. It does seem inevitable now. Pressure on to replace him now, hopefully Warne and Co know what they’re doing.

Or have already replaced him and we just don't know yet ?   Have a bit of faith ...In Warne I trust .

Quote from the article; 

McGoldrick said: “It has been a difficult decision for me to leave Derby County, but it has been a huge ambition of mine to play for Notts County again before the end of my career.

“I’ve been honest and open with both Paul Warne and the club about it in recent weeks and they’ve been supportive and understanding.

“If it wasn’t for the fact that I had the chance to return to Notts, it would have been a no-brainer to stay at Derby - regardless of interest from any other club. I really enjoyed working under the gaffer and his staff, playing alongside the lads and, of course, performing in front of the brilliant fans at Pride Park. I want to thank everyone for making me feel so welcome in the last year.

“I had a wonderful season with Derby and to score 25 goals and three hat-tricks made it such an enjoyable time, the best in terms of goals for me personally in the season, and actually made the decision such a difficult one. 

“I’ve had many conversations with the gaffer over the last few weeks and he really did do everything he could to keep me at Derby but, in the end, I have decided to go with my heart and return to Notts.”

He added: “I wish the club the very best of luck moving forward and I’ll be willing Derby on next season. They’re in good hands both on the pitch with the gaffer, Richie Barker, Matt Hamshaw and Andy Warrington, as well as off it too.”

Edited by Caerphilly Ram
Added Didzy’s comments to provide context for everyone