David McGoldrick - joined Notts County

Ambitious

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

1) As yet we are rumoured to be losing our top goalscorer from last season upon the expiry of his contract. Nothing definite has happened yet. You make out like we’ve lost all of the players in the squad, Davies, Stearman, Chester have all been released and are replaceable. Dobbin, Roberts, Springett and White returned to their parent clubs….and are replaceable. 

2) We do have the budget to replace him, we signed him last year and paid his wages, if he leaves we will sign other strikers and pay their wages. We’ve heard from the club over the last season that we were well within the agreed terms of the business plan and have performed better than expected against budget. We’ve also heard we are able to pay fees again….There’s only one person here ignoring things and it’s not me. 

3) What evidence can you offer that there isn’t a “fight” to keep McGoldrick? The club will offer what works best for the club in terms of wages, contract length, playing guarantees etc. If he, a grown man with his own wants and needs, makes a decision to leave then that is up to him.

So yes, at a point when the club is on a sound financial footing, we have a head of recruitment in place who has spotted gems in the past, a manager with the backing of the chairman with what resources we do have, and essentially a clean(ish) slate for recruitment this summer BEFORE the transfer window has even opened, I do wonder why some people are so pessimistic. If we get to 2:59pm on the first day of the season and the squad hasn’t been strengthened maybe I’ll have some concerns. Until then I think people need to find some perspective, losing a 35 year old striker on the back of 1 very good season is very unlikely to be the scenario to ruin this club. We’ve survived worse as a fan base. 

your 1 ) point, have you seen how thin our squad has been this season? you just named 8 more players that need to be replaced on top of what we already need. now knight is likely going too, make it 9. 

of course every player is replaceable, but i think a few need to wake up that we are not in a position financially to be losing our better players

just nothing is filling me with confidence that all, a lot of red flags at the minute. as you say it is early on in the summer and you are right we have survived worse. i am just saying it as i see it and not burrying my head in the sand which a lot of people seem to be doing, 1 goes its okay, 2 its okay, 3 its okay... etc etc etc. warne has a big job on and he will be under pressure to deliver. i dont want to linger in this awful league, none of the signs are pointing to a positive season so far

Would love him to sign, but can see the Notts Co draw for him. Warne has said the squad will undergo major surgery in the window and the type of player he likes will mean the tempo will be upped a couple of notches. Has DM got the legs to fit in to that style, despite having the skills ?

EEDE7E50-56FD-41E5-A018-F686EE7C8D2B.gif

3 minutes ago, alram said:

your 1 ) point, have you seen how thin our squad has been this season? you just named 8 more players that need to be replaced on top of what we already need. now knight is likely going too, make it 9. 

of course every player is replaceable, but i think a few need to wake up that we are not in a position financially to be losing our better players

just nothing is filling me with confidence that all, a lot of red flags at the minute. as you say it is early on in the summer and you are right we have survived worse. i am just saying it as i see it and not burrying my head in the sand which a lot of people seem to be doing, 1 goes its okay, 2 its okay, 3 its okay... etc etc etc. warne has a big job on and he will be under pressure to deliver. i dont want to linger in this awful league, none of the signs are pointing to a positive season so far

I really can’t be bothered arguing the point any more. You think everything looks rubbish, I think there’s reason to be optimistic, let’s agree to disagree and we can compare notes and have an “I told you so” moment if and when one of us is proved correct. 

1 hour ago, alram said:

we are losing our best players and you wonder why people are pessimistic ? really?

i think people are just ignoring the red flags personally, 35 years old or not he is our best player and has carried us this season. we dont have the budget to replace him

to let him go without a fight is massive mistake in my opinion

Im a bit confused

1. We have not lost him yet

2 What red flags are we ignoring

3 How do you know we are letting him go without a fight

I would like to assume we have offered McGoldrick a one year deal on £10-12k a week or something similar. I’ve just read that Notts County would likely be around £2-3k - takes some love for a club to leave half a million on the table to go make less than what a good car salesman earns. If that’s the situation then you have to say fair play. 

5 hours ago, Srg said:

Ah yes, League1news22... that bastion of verified journalism.

Indeed.  But to be fair, The Times or Four Four Two magazine wouldn't know much better.

Journos get their stories from players agents who half the time are using it to inflate the prices of their product.  DM doesn't, by all accounts, use an agent but acts for himself.  Therefore, either he is talking to journalists or journalists, and others, are speculating what he might be thinking.

He is a Notts County fan so screeches to logic that should he not sign here he'd sign there.  Story made.

56 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I really can’t be bothered arguing the point any more. You think everything looks rubbish, I think there’s reason to be optimistic, let’s agree to disagree and we can compare notes and have an “I told you so” moment if and when one of us is proved correct. 

i wont ever tell you so if it proves bad news for derby, that is childish i only want us to do well and i am just sharing my concerns

3 minutes ago, alram said:

i wont ever tell you so if it proves bad news for derby, that is childish i only want us to do well and i am just sharing my concerns

Sorry if it seems I’m dismissive of your concerns. I have avoided those same concerns by looking at the bigger picture surrounding the club, taking in the information and facts that are available via the club, interviews, the media and the fans forums, listening to the intent of the owner and the manager and therefore feel there is plenty to be optimistic about.

Its long been expected we would need to sign a high number of players again this year, in my opinion we had a good season last year and fell short of the play offs due to a number of factors of which a lack of depth, an imbalanced squad and an over reliance on one player’s goals were quite prominent. The manager and the club are aware of that and have spoken of their intent to put it right this summer, we should start the season with a more balanced squad, with more players in their peak years, and hopefully carrying more of a goal threat across the pitch. I choose to see those things as reason for optimism rather than the fact we’re going to lose some players.

Remember there hasn’t yet been a credible link for the McGoldrick story to Notts, just a lot of twitter noise.

21 minutes ago, alram said:

You're criticising the club for not signing players outside of the window and for not 'fighting' to secure their signatures when A) they may not want to be here and B) have not been confirmed as having left. Despite this, you seem surprised that folk are calling you out. Why?

2 hours ago, Foreveram said:

You’re concerned that we haven’t bought anyone in the transfer window that isn’t open yet🤷‍♂️

i never said i was concerned by lack of signings, i said i was concerned by the seemingly departure of our better players

2 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

You're criticising the club for not signing players outside of the window and for not 'fighting' to secure their signatures when A) they may not want to be here and B) have not been confirmed as having left. Despite this, you seem surprised that folk are calling you out. Why?

no im not

again people putting words in my mouth