David McGoldrick - joined Notts County

Ambitious

5 minutes ago, alram said:

youll have to excuse me which one of these is getting sold to a championship team with no budget to replace them?

Non, Your post said...a) "we were completely reliant on him to score the bulk of our goals"

I posted 5 players who's teams rely on their goals, And McGoldrick is rumoured to be going to a league 2 team not the Championship.

PS, You are aware the embargo has been lifted, And a budget has been set by the Owner/EFL

8 minutes ago, alram said:

we are losing our best players and you wonder why people are pessimistic ? really?

i think people are just ignoring the red flags personally, 35 years old or not he is our best player and has carried us this season. we dont have the budget to replace him

to let him go without a fight is massive mistake in my opinion

Best player, seriously? 

13 minutes ago, alram said:

we are losing our best players and you wonder why people are pessimistic ? really?

i think people are just ignoring the red flags personally, 35 years old or not he is our best player and has carried us this season. we dont have the budget to replace him

And how do you know we're not fighting? Honestly, just chill your tits and wait and see what comes of it. The sources reporting him leaving are not exactly solid and there's been no confirmation from either the player or either club. Jeez, silly season has started early enough this year 🙄

12 minutes ago, alram said:

1) As yet we are rumoured to be losing our top goalscorer from last season upon the expiry of his contract. Nothing definite has happened yet. You make out like we’ve lost all of the players in the squad, Davies, Stearman, Chester have all been released and are replaceable. Dobbin, Roberts, Springett and White returned to their parent clubs….and are replaceable. 

2) We do have the budget to replace him, we signed him last year and paid his wages, if he leaves we will sign other strikers and pay their wages. We’ve heard from the club over the last season that we were well within the agreed terms of the business plan and have performed better than expected against budget. We’ve also heard we are able to pay fees again….There’s only one person here ignoring things and it’s not me. 

3) What evidence can you offer that there isn’t a “fight” to keep McGoldrick? The club will offer what works best for the club in terms of wages, contract length, playing guarantees etc. If he, a grown man with his own wants and needs, makes a decision to leave then that is up to him.

So yes, at a point when the club is on a sound financial footing, we have a head of recruitment in place who has spotted gems in the past, a manager with the backing of the chairman with what resources we do have, and essentially a clean(ish) slate for recruitment this summer BEFORE the transfer window has even opened, I do wonder why some people are so pessimistic. If we get to 2:59pm on the first day of the season and the squad hasn’t been strengthened maybe I’ll have some concerns. Until then I think people need to find some perspective, losing a 35 year old striker on the back of 1 very good season is very unlikely to be the scenario to ruin this club. We’ve survived worse as a fan base. 

38 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

It just strikes me as odd. It'd be like if Federer retired after winning Wimbledon in 2017. Yes, his body will be less resilient than it was, but he's not a player who uses his body as a weapon. It's his brain that's his asset at this level. 

What will be will be. Problem with his brain at this level is that many around him are not on the same level! Whatever his decision I hope he makes it quickly so if necessary we have max time to plan an alternative. 

The transfer window hasn’t even opened so it’s a bit early for panic. Let’s judge at the start of the season on what our squad looks like. We have had some of our restrictions lifted, we have one of the largest budgets in the league. Promotion is the expectation and the recruitment team will be working to have a team capable of it. 

If Didzy goes of course I’ll be gutted, he was a joy to watch last season, but if he does go - we will replace him!

3 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

The transfer window hasn’t even opened so it’s a bit early for panic. Let’s judge at the start of the season on what our squad looks like. We have had some of our restrictions lifted, we have one of the largest budgets in the league. Promotion is the expectation and the recruitment team will be working to have a team capable of it. 

If Didzy goes of course I’ll be gutted, he was a joy to watch last season, but if he does go - we will replace him!

Exactly. This is the first “normal” summer we’ve had in how many years? And rather than feeling a bit of calm and optimism for what that stability could bring, some people would rather panic and lament the RUMOURED loss of one player. 

Anyway if he signs for us that’s great if he signs for notts county good luck to him - he is out of contract his choice 

I enjoyed watching him play last season and we needed him but what amazed me was that he was fit for most of the season - his injury record suggests long absences and maybe next season one of his injuries returns and we would have been missing him anyway.

He gave us everything so good luck to him 🍺

27 minutes ago, BobdeBilder said:

Best player, seriously? 

It was between him and Cashin last season, both were considerably ahead of everyone else, so yeah. I don't think anyone will take exception that McGoldrick is our best player. 

Unpopular opinion...

I think it's admirable that he wants to play out the end of his career at his boyhood club. Certain players of that age might chase the money (Players going to the Saudi League for example), but he is doing this from his support and love of Notts County. 

I would love him to stay, but hats off to his motives if he does go. 

No great detriment that he goes for me. Derby will have probably offered him a 1 year deal and Notts a 2 year deal, and I highly doubt he’d hit 20 next year with another season on his legs. 

The task this window is finding other areas of the pitch to score from. We simply cannot rely on x1 striker all season (especially if the striker is over 35!) 

I would wish him the best if he was to leave. He was a Rolls Royce at times last season, but we have to look at other avenues for goals next year. 

30 minutes ago, AshfieldRam said:

Unpopular opinion...

I think it's admirable that he wants to play out the end of his career at his boyhood club. Certain players of that age might chase the money (Players going to the Saudi League for example), but he is doing this from his support and love of Notts County. 

I would love him to stay, but hats off to his motives if he does go. 

I think you will find that as a little boy Karim Benzema had loads of pictures of Saudi Pro League Al-Ittihad on his bedroom wall. The money is really an ancillary consideration.