David McGoldrick - joined Notts County

Ambitious

Well im fine if he goes and fine if he stays . 

But he does now have a walking stick .........we are derby county !! albeit in div 3  ( old style ) If we cant sign now 2 reasonable ( not collins type ) strikers good enough for this league we are in a sorry state now restrictions are somewhat lifted . 

The meltdown that goes on should we sell one of our bang average academy products or a 35 year old about to retire striker is beyond ridiculous , if i were didzy and didnt need the money i would finish my career where i started aa nice ending that and we should be thankful for last season .

WE ARE DERBY in a piss poor league , we ought now with the money issues becoming better to walk this league this is now Warnes big big test . 

All didzy will be is a back up striker a nice one at that but would you settle for that if you could play if fit at your first club ? . 

Edited by NottsRammy

If he stays great, but he’ll probably play less, which is not necessarily a bad thing.  If he goes to Notts County, good luck to him.  The last season has probably surprised himself - an extra season when he was on the verge of retirement, top scorer, first hat-trick ever.  At the start of the season he probably thought it would be his last but it’s made him realise he has a bit more in him.

This next deal is most likely his last so he needs to be comfortable with it.  If it’s a rational football decision he stays and finishes at the highest level possible.  If it’s an emotional decision he leaves and finishes at his newly promoted boyhood club.

I don’t consider it poor, or lack of ambition or a sad state that we’re in or whatever phrase maybe used if he goes.  I see it as a normal football club supporter, finishing his career in the best way he wants with no regrets.

Edited by FlyBritishMidland

15 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Here's the words I apparently put in your mouth...

Here's the quote I was referring to...

No need to respond. I'll not be seeing your posts moving forwards. 

"to let him go" as in if we were to let him go

15 hours ago, S8TY said:

I bet you're fun at parties !! Jeeez.... chill out ...!

We have massive reasons to be optimistic, I thought Didzy was brilliant last season but I'd like to think we are not relying on just one player to score the bulk of our goals next season.

FWIW I actually think that if he stays Mcgoldrick might not get the game time he did last season if our recruitment is good

We have a caring owner who I think I'm right in saying the fans trust, more freedom in the market and also a weaker looking division next season 

It's an exciting time to be a Rams fan, I can't understand why you keep seeing the negatives when there are plenty of positives.

Did you think when we only had about 5 players on the books at one point last summer that this was the end and we could only field a 5 a side team ? ....We are supposedly in a better place financially this summer and able to have more freedom regarding recruitment, of course we are going to sign players.

Warne has already said the process has already started so chill out mate...nothing to worry about Mr Glass Half Empty 

for me the main difference from last season and this season is clear: last season was a rebuild season and a season of consolidation, okay i was disappointed in the end we didnt make it but the reality is it was always a tough ask to start from nothing

this season is about promotion and nothing else, we have the foundations in place and have to kick on - to do that we need to keep our best players and recruit wisely . the squad has to look stronger than last season and several of our better players are already seemingly close to the exit door

you surely dont disagre with that?

14 hours ago, DerbyPride12 said:

Sounds like b******* but I had it on extremely good authority he was going to be offered, or had already been offered, a contact by Notts County about two weeks ago.

The contract by Notts is two-year with a clause that will make him a "Youth Ambassador" after he retires with the club, giving him pathway into youth coaching which is what he intends to do once retiring, especially with Notts as it's boyhood club.

The contract by Derby is for just the one year. 

He is going to accept the one year contract with Derby, before moving to Notts County to retire (assuming they offer him a contract after this year with Derby, which they will). 

This is as good as coming from the horse's mouth - if it turns out to not be true then go ahead an ban my account. 

If it turns out to be true.

200.gif

But it better not be a load of old

200.gif

2 hours ago, alram said:

for me the main difference from last season and this season is clear: last season was a rebuild season and a season of consolidation, okay i was disappointed in the end we didnt make it but the reality is it was always a tough ask to start from nothing

this season is about promotion and nothing else, we have the foundations in place and have to kick on - to do that we need to keep our best players and recruit wisely . the squad has to look stronger than last season and several of our better players are already seemingly close to the exit door

you surely dont disagre with that?

What if our better players ( whoever they are) are replaced by even better players.

1 minute ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Unless David McGoldrick is replaced with Messi there isn't anyone better 🤔 

Be honest, this time last year, did you think, we should sign David McGoldrick , he’d be fantastic for us, 20+ goals easy.

26 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Be honest, this time last year, did you think, we should sign David McGoldrick , he’d be fantastic for us, 20+ goals easy.

I can honestly, hand on heart say, NO.

I thought he was a donkey, I remember being linked with him when at Ipswich and saying we didn't need him.

I was so very wrong about him.

Edited by MackworthRamIsGod

Not that anyone asked me, but I thought he was a good signing based the fact he'd he'd recently been instrumental in Sheff Utd's rise from League One to Premier League.

It's similar to the CKR signing in a way - plenty of people pictured him as if he was still 'The Coca Cola Kid' when in reality he was a very different player by the time he came here, while McGoldrick was a world away from the player labelled "McGoaldrought" earlier in his career.

Edited by Kokosnuss

I couldnt see a general transfer topic so i put this here,

in my opinion this will be the second year of our rebuild of the team ,so many out the door and quite a few to come in (hopefully) on permanent contracts .  

I feel if we keep going down the loan route and players do well for us they will become a target just like Roberts has been, all it makes us is a showroom for the player and the club that holds his contracts it really is a win win for them but for us its  just another disappointment when they sign elsewhere.

24 minutes ago, glyn1957 said:

in my opinion this will be the second year of our rebuild of the team ,so many out the door and quite a few to come in (hopefully) on permanent contracts .  

I feel if we keep going down the loan route and players do well for us they will become a target just like Roberts has been, all it makes us is a showroom for the player and the club that holds his contracts it really is a win win for them but for us its  just another disappointment when they sign elsewhere.

You have to balance that against the benefit to be had from a good loanee - if those players could make the difference between another year in the same division or getting promoted, it would be daft not to utilise the loan market....

Last season, Roberts was the consistent one, both Osula & Dobbin struggled to score many goals and White looked out of his depth (though he clearly had technical ability) - if one of the latter 3 had come good, it could have made a big difference to our final league position...

54 minutes ago, glyn1957 said:

I think that the loan route has been used quite successfully over the years in different divisions, in order to get promoted. You can get better quality players in without such a high outlay and long term risk associated with spending big money on 'quality' players, who only come down a division for high wages and long contracts. 

This is why we're where we are, we paid big money and offered high wages to players, we thought would not only get us promoted but would be good enough for the premier. It was a very costly mistake, while those around us went down the loan route with less long term expensive commitment.

3 minutes ago, ram59 said:

I think that the loan route has been used quite successfully over the years in different divisions, in order to get promoted. You can get better quality players in without such a high outlay and long term risk associated with spending big money on 'quality' players, who only come down a division for high wages and long contracts. 

This is why we're where we are, we paid big money and offered high wages to players, we thought would not only get us promoted but would be good enough for the premier. It was a very costly mistake, while those around us went down the loan route with less long term expensive commitment.

Yes I understand and I'm not advocating high wages and 4/5 year deals.

Maybe 2 year contract and a rise if we get promoted would be a good inducement to any young (ish) player ,that way if it doesn't work out we are not the hook .

44 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Nixon aka the oracle saying we’ve got an uphill challenge to keep him.

One of his patreon stories hidden behind a paywall, the tagline on the Tweet is “Notts County hope to swing McGoldrick deal”. Without paying (which I don’t feel like doing) I’ve no idea if there’s more substance to what Nixon is saying, taking that one sentence at face value it’s more speculative rhetoric that tells us no more than we know already…. Notts want to sign him, we want to sign him and there’s been no change as yet. 
I’m not going to say he’s staying or going as I don’t know, Nixon’s story looks a lot like clickbait to generate revenue to me, happy to be corrected if there’s something more in what he says. 

Someone close (very) to players who are close to McGoldrick (so friend of friend of friend)....told me today that McGoldrick is off. But the surprising thing for me was that we couldn't offer what he was after financially.

If that's the case and I have no reason to doubt the source, I'd say he won't be re-signing for us and certainly won't be signing for Notts County.

Edited by MackworthRamIsGod