Derby County Vs Bristol City matchday thread, Saturday 3pm kick off

Ram-Alf

5 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Can't get my head around Weimann might finish on 20 goals this season. 

I'll tell you why - Bristol know where to play him. While he was at Derby he was usually on the bench, and when he did start a match, he was stuck out on the win, when his best position is in the middle alongside a target man/hold-up player. And yes, he did score regularly beefore Chris Martin was established there. At the time "The Derby Way" meant playing people out of position, or leaving them on the bench for weeks on end, then dropping them altogether because they weren't doing what they could. Simon Dawkins, Will Hughes (post injury), Louie Sibley, I could go on.

I know we can moan about refs all day but bloody hell thatchallenge from Semenyo and Byrne was a bad one nearly no one picked up on (not even our fans). It was shin high, studs showing and reckless. 

Not even booked! As for the challenge that set up the free kick for their third. Well what can you say?

Made a lot of our own luck today in terms of the team and how it was set up, but we never got ‘the bounce of the ball’ and we certainly never got any 50/50 decisions from the ref.

Edited by TuffLuff

That was the deadest dead rubber ever ??? man of the match, the shoe in the south stand. If it all goes through I hope to god we invest in some forwards 

1 hour ago, Ramarena said:

Today also highlighted the questionable selections we’ve making since Feb really…….Fozzy’s absence is a prime example!

Agree with you. But Buchanan looks better on the ball, so a manager who wants to see football from end to end might favour him. Don’t think it’s worked. We also saw a little of Watson’s quality today despite him being out of position  - great shame he’s not featured more. Really hope he stays 

40 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Fine. He put in how many tackles? How many crosses? He linked up with Thomson/Watson how often? He did what?

cf Byrne.

Edit: considering he used to be a winger.

Well he scored. He also put a delightful chipped cross in for Cybulski who managed to head it over when it was easier to score. He was an outlet all game for us and don’t think he was at fault for any of their goals. I think Forsyth was the least of our problems today. 

2 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I know we can moan about refs all day but bloody hell thatchallenge from Semenyo and Byrne was a bad one nearly no one picked up on (not even our fans). It was shin high, studs showing and reckless. 

Not even booked! As for the challenge that set up the free kick for their third. Well what can you say?

Made a lot of our own luck today in terms of the team and how it was set up, but we never got ‘the bounce of the ball’ and we certainly never got any 50/50 decisions from the ref.

Not sure why the ref ignored it (other than he was poor), but Semenyo slide across the turf with one leg straight out foot outstretched and studs showing fully (at 90 degrees to the grass!). So when he finally booked Semenyo he could easily have been sent off as he was fouling at will as the ref pointed out to him when he did finally book him! ?

Well that’s that pre season/testimonial out of the way 

yet we still managed to find one of the worst referees around 

first goal probably offside 

second goal - lack of game time for Stearman 

third goal from free kick given for dreadful dive 

nice to see Forsyth scoring from yet another great delivery from Malcolm - didn’t Forsyth score on his last start as well? 
I thought Bird was decent and Bart managed to miss two great chances despite not being near the ball most of the time. I didn’t thinkWatson had a particularly decent game as some might be saying 

Predicictable I suppose. Change the team round, experiment quite a bit and those remaining have an adrenaline tank that’s running on fumes. Bit flat but not down. Felt sorry for Bart, could have had 2 , one of them would have been miraculous if he’d scored it though. He moved about well and made himself available but got very little service in the cold light of day. A slip from Curtis and Stearman caught napping by that dirty, irritating … but skilled no 18. He’s handful, good player. You can understand their goal scoring record .. the kind of player that disrupts defences in dangerous areas. 

Good head from Fozzy after a delicious cross from Malcolm. (What great feet he has, it would be lovely to keep him if we can, he’s only going to get better as he learns) 

I voted for Curtis as POTS because he has been immense as a leader and given everything his 37 year old body has. It couldn’t be anyone else given the circumstances, but Nathan Byrne ? My MOTM today. Mr consistency, no panic, sticks to his task, knows when to push forward and when to play it safe. So much running and skill. Hugely under rated as a player in some quarters. Watson did ok, Sibbo had an effect. 

Hate it when we lose but it isn’t the end of the world. There’s a new contest starting, we are preparing and planning. As the Ausies say “She’ll be right and “no worries”  COYR

So we had nothing to play for, and achieved it.

Actually, the result was immaterial, apart from giving the fans something back for the fantastic support, because it was about Rooney having a look at what he's got, without having to his best to avoid relegation. And we did actually give Bristol a good game, but the result was decided by two shocking goals given away early on.

Bird played well, as did Thommo, but I would give Man of the Match to Ebiowe, who had got his defender beaten from the start, such that Bristol had 2 or 3 men on him every time he had the ball at his feet. And he laid on the goal! I was disappointed with Watson, at least until the substitutions when every one perked up. And Stearman was clearly suffering from lack of game time.

I was foolishly expecting that having got us relegated the EFL would start to loosen their grip, but absolutely not. Yet again the match officials were dreadful. Ignoring the sublime (there wasn't any) the most ridiculous was a Bristol corner in the first half which the player miskicked, so he promptly dragged the ball back and positioned it by hand, and was allowed to retake it. Even though having kicked the ball, it was in play, so it should have been a free kick for handball. it sounds nit-picking, but I was giving the ridiculous. Semenyo was a really dirty little so and so, and should have two or three yellow cards before he was finally booked. Even then he should have had another afterwards. I could go on with a bagful of examples, as is my want, but what's the point?  ....................................... But I'll be back, no doubt!!!

In the end the ref didn't affect the result - we did that with those two sloppy goals given away early on, so all I can hope is that Wayne was able to see what he was looking for with the players he put out today. The arrival of Sibley and Plange did make a difference  because suddenly we had players who wanted to run through into the box instead of hanging around on the edge of the  box, so we didn't have to revert to the sideways pass. And the support was yet again very loud unntil about 70 minutes or so when "the shoe" took over as our point of interest!

Ho hum. On to the next one. Blackpool away. Let's make it a party!

I got back in the car after the game and Charlie Palmer was saying the one bright spark from today was Watson’s performance. Said he was involved in everything good that we did. Got to be honest, I didn’t see that. I like him, he’s definitely got talent, but I didn’t think he was that influential today.

3 minutes ago, Kinder said:

I got back in the car after the game and Charlie Palmer was saying the one bright spark from today was Watson’s performance. Said he was involved in everything good that we did. Got to be honest, I didn’t see that. I like him, he’s definitely got talent, but I didn’t think he was that influential today.

That is strange as he wasnt featured in commentary much

2 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Imagine Ravel being put into a headlock and the ref waving advantage to Bristol...

Their 3rd goal came while a steward was on the pitch, fetching someone's shoe ffs. 

I wondered if it was a Bristol fans shoe at first, when they started celebrating, then saw they'd scored.

In a season of poor refs, this one stood out as particularly incompetent.