Derby County Vs Bristol City matchday thread, Saturday 3pm kick off

Ram-Alf

Reflecting on yesterday it was a tad disappointing. It was probably inevitable that given the changes and reaction from relegation we would put in a performance like this at some stage. But still I left the ground feeling quite deflated and despondent. 

I think it's a good idea to see where we are in trying players out. I'll start with the negatives. For me am not a Watson fan, didn't love him at the beginning of the season and again  seemed pretty anonymous. He obviously needs more time but I would hope to see some improvement in pre season.

Cybulski even aside from the miss seemed to be on his heels and didn't fit the style we play. He wanted the ball to feet several times instead of making those runs in behind creating a disjointed attack. He gave too many straight passes away and his touch was iffy. This was his first start so plenty of time to improve. 

Midfield seemed too lightweight and struggled to get to grips with Bristol in general. The defence was not aided by this and had a rare off day where we could have conceded 5. If we're putting in stearman after he's not had game time playing out from the back may need reconsideration for the next 2. If we have a 6ft 5 dude maybe use him as an outlet to break the press.... 

I still think if we keep the spine then we'll be doing well but that includes keeping bird and knight for me at least.  If we lose beilik, knight and bird then I do fear for us a little next season unless real replacements are found. The centre of that midfield needs to be tight and strong to allow our wingers and advanced mids to flourish.

Sibley needs more game time for me and a real think about how to make use of ravel Watson and Sibley should be in progress as part of a 4231. If we are looking to use Cybulski then that will need a think as to how to incorporate him and if he's ready. 

Yesterday made me realise how much work there is to do potentially. It obviously all depends on the summer transfers and how many we can keep. If there isn't much in the pot to spend we really need to go all out to convince key players to stay for at least a season. If our key players leave and little in the pot for transfers we would need to get recruitment spot on or it could be a long hard season. 

It's worth pointing out that, when Semanya was played in for a 1v1 in the second half, he was a good yard offside. I thought so at the time and the highlights confirm it. The lino on the NE touchline was dead level with it but put his hand to his eyes afterwards, when the crowd on our side were giving him stick, making out that the sun blinded him. He was useless all game. 

10 minutes ago, Crewton said:

It's worth pointing out that, when Semanya was played in for a 1v1 in the second half, he was a good yard offside. I thought so at the time and the highlights confirm it. The lino on the NE touchline was dead level with it but put his hand to his eyes afterwards, when the crowd on our side were giving him stick, making out that the sun blinded him. He was useless all game. 

Just seen the highlights. Who fell over in the lead up to their first which most have been close to offside. Then the second just a dreadful mistake. Nothing on it so worthwhile giving some fringe players some game time…

11 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I was sat in the lower NE Corner at the back, Yes he was poor, But he did have the Sun to contend with, Not defending the useless officials, But the Sun has been there for billions of years and it aint moved, They should be wearing sun glasses which would stop them making a spectacle of themselves. 

20 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Think we've had him running the East Stand line before and he was garbage then. He seems to have a real problem keeping up with the play.

11 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

A very poor display yesterday, Derby weren't that much better than the official, Maybe to many changes undone us, A lone striker with very little to no support but should have scored with that header, 2nd half had the lions share of the ball but failed to gobble up anything of note, A disappointing game that came in the middle of Saint Georges Day Celebrations.

uttoxram75 I called in the Noahs at 7.15pm, I mooched around a very packed boozer and saw what I thought was you, Blue shirt and Red tie sitting next to a woman dressed in black under the front window, I introduced myself, You looked 3 sheets to the wind through ale, I bought you a pint of cider sat down and asked the woman in black if you were the fella I was looking for, She said you are a rugby man, Oooops then it would appear it wasn't you and someone was a pint better off, So I went and spoke to a couple of old mates that were there.

A good day slightly spoiled by with the result at PP.

Haha, I was safely back home by then Alf, I didn't stay in town in the end!

Nice gesture though mate! ?

13 hours ago, angieram said:

And an injury. Baffling.

The referee was never really in charge of the game yesterday. Not an auspicious start if he's looking to become a Championship regular. I'm assuming he's from a lower level?

If the FA are trying him out at championship level makes sense for them to do it in a dead rubber