Time to adapt the Collymore song.

Rev

Time to change the lyrics, and make it more topical and relevant to our situation.

I won't try and circumvent the swear filter, but I'm sure you'll get the drift if you see this topic before it disappears!

Mel Morris is a banker,

He wears a bankers hat, 

He said he loved our Derby,

But he's a ducking twit.

He said that he would sell us, 

And wanted just a pound, 

But he's a lying bar steward, 

And took away our ground.

11 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Whether it’s replaced or not, the Collymore song can get in the bin. Tinpot and crass in equal measure.

It makes light of domestic abuse, for a start. 

This version is targeted at the architect of our downfall, who's gotten off pretty damn lightly imo. 

I'd have put Pearce in there too, but he's still an official at DCFC, so didn't want to risk it.

3 minutes ago, Rev said:

This version is targeted at the architect of our downfall, who's gotten off pretty damn lightly imo. 

I'd have put Pearce in there too, but he's still an official at DCFC, so didn't want to risk it.

Yeah, the domestic abuse bit is the crass part, and the fact we’re still singing about an ex-Forest player is the tinpot part.

I don’t mind your suggestion, but I prefer pro-Derby ones personally.

9 minutes ago, Rev said:

It doesn't though, does it.

Its a song that says he's a w-anchor,

and then list the reasons why, one of them being the domestic abuse.

And then celebrates the Karma of (and makes light of (oh no!)) his leg break.

Edited by UTFR

45 minutes ago, UTFR said:

He beat her like an egg,a lovely rhyming couplet.

I'm sure that Ulrika loves that description of her misery.

59 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Yeah, the domestic abuse bit is the crass part, and the fact we’re still singing about an ex-Forest player is the tinpot part.

I don’t mind your suggestion, but I prefer pro-Derby ones personally.

Nah. Nothing to do with Forest. No one gave a poo about him till the Dean Yates high five incident against Villa.

1 hour ago, Rev said:

He beat her like an egg,a lovely rhyming couplet.

I'm sure that Ulrika loves that description of her misery.

You've got to admit its an almost perfect chant of tribal hatred and poor taste coupled with a huge element of glorying the targets deplorable behaviour to poor old Ulrika, a veritable throwback to terrace culture of the 70s and 80s that almost deserves to be preserved for its pure awfulness in today's sanitised environment.

Straight outta da Popside!

21 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

You've got to admit its an almost perfect chant of tribal hatred and poor taste coupled with a huge element of glorying the targets deplorable behaviour to poor old Ulrika, a veritable throwback to terrace culture of the 70s and 80s that almost deserves to be preserved for its pure awfulness in today's sanitised environment.

Straight outta da Popside!

I can see your point, the best chants should push at the point of acceptability. 

The beat her like an egg line just doesn't sit right with me, it's trivialising an individual's suffering, who has nothing to do with football other than her choice of partners.

The fact it's such a great rhyming couplet is probably why it took off, and I can't deny I've sung it myself in its early days, but times change, as have I.

It's not that long ago I was at Frankie and Benny's before the play off semi Vs Brighton, and the Brighton fans were singing a song about shagging sheep, knowing full well what the response song would be, and it was all done in good spirit, with no malice intended on either side.

Now you'd probably get your collar felt, and it's not even that long ago.

11 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Nah. Nothing to do with Forest. No one gave a poo about him till the Dean Yates high five incident against Villa.

I remember it being sung at Wembley against Leicester, albeit a slightly different version.

I know this is not very PC but Without fail it always makes me and my son laugh when it is sung. We even have a "bet" what minute we think it will be sung whether at the ground or watching at home. Not the words or sentiment but just because it is such old history and we still sing it. I always think it is done for humour/ironically now without malice but I am happy to be corrected

14 hours ago, UTFR said:

The original version didn't have the leg break or the domestic violence angle to be fair, it was aimed at being  not good enough to play for the national team.

i stopped singing it when it was amended, however still will never forgive the high five with Yorke after Yorke's  tackle that took Dean Yates's ankle.

Edited by I DONT MIND

15 hours ago, Rev said:

Time to change the lyrics, and make it more topical and relevant to our situation.

I won't try and circumvent the swear filter, but I'm sure you'll get the drift if you see this topic before it disappears!

Mel Morris is a banker,

He wears a bankers hat, 

He said he loved our Derby,

But he's a ducking twit.

He said that he would sell us, 

And wanted just a pound, 

But he's a lying bar steward, 

And took away our ground.

i suggest it could do with twit modifying slightly to Rhyme?