World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

I think I'm going to give 2022 a miss. 

I mean I've got gay friends, surely I shouldn't support the message coming fro. Qatar that they have a mental problem? 

And frankly fifa can do one. If we all turned off they'd lose millions in advertising revenue. That's the only language fifa seems to understand. 

If they want to ignore the fans, host games in countries with no footballing culture and turn a blind eye to human rights abuses, they can do it without my support. 

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

its the timing of it for me.

WCs are normally summer events - fan parks, balmy long evenings, wheel the barbie out and get the lagers chilled.

This one, matches at 10am, 1pm, 4pm and 7pm UK time. The latter 2 will be in the dark, the first one stupid. The second one may chime with a lunchtime bevy admittedly.

Add in the fact its chilly, late autumn and in the middle of an energy price crisis and we're more likely to be watching matches huddled under duvets with hot ovaltine than sat in our football shirts with a chilled can....?

I think I’m thinking more about Christmas now, and that’s beyond the World Cup already. The world cup is just kind of getting in the way a bit. I’d normally dial down the world during the World Cup in summer. But I’m already planning to do that during Christmas, so I think I’ll be busy busy during the World Cup, and might catch some results in the radio if I’m lucky. 

5 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Allys Tartan Army.....that was their "response" to a disappointing first match defeat by Peru.

Iran must be one of the few remaining national teams that you hardly ever get to see apart from world cups so there is still a sense of the unknown - i suspect they could be well organised and quite tough. Generally short players with little legs as well....

I remember their left winger, Iran really fast…..?

2 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

just can't get excited about this. It's interesting as there appears to be a complete lack of enthusiasm for this tournament with very little coverage or ppl seemingly excited for it. 

I’ve noticed that as well regarding the lack of coverage and interest.

It seems strange. In some ways it’s an end-of-era tournament for those that still enjoyed football before silly prices came along.

For players like Messi, Ronaldo, Modric, Lewandowski, Benzema, Neuer and Sergio Ramos (players who all featured in Germany 2006) this is their last one.

Lack of enthusiasm sums it up.

3 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I’ve noticed that as well regarding the lack of coverage and interest.

It seems strange. In some ways it’s an end-of-era tournament for those that still enjoyed football before silly prices came along.

For players like Messi, Ronaldo, Modric, Lewandowski, Benzema, Neuer and Sergio Ramos (players who all featured in Germany 2006) this is their last one.

Lack of enthusiasm sums it up.

I guess the league season bleeding into the world cup prep has led to a lack of coverage too. But ppl like Neville being embarrassed on TV just highlights how much contempt ppl are feeling for this one. Feel sorry for some great players who are bowing out in this travesty of a tournament.

Well I'm ready for it.

All the moralising is nearly over (not that there's anything wrong with that, just it's a boring story that's been told since their bid was successful and I've had a guts full of it) and the games can be the story. A distraction from real life, which we all need every now and then.

Not having watched anyone other than the odd England and Derby match in the last 4 years I have no idea who any of the players are, who is any good and what the rules even are when it comes to VAR and offsides etc. Feel like 8 year old me all over again.

Can't wait to watch Switzerland v Cameroon at 10am.

Hoping for an aesthetically pleasing selection of kits, the odd controversy (usually the Dutch or French), the roundest ball ever made and some memorable moments.

A European v South American nation in the final would be ideal.

Of course it should be in summer but if it all goes tits up we'll just say this wasn't an official one, not part of the franchise and move on to the next circus in 4 years.

Don't care about the pubs because watching England in a pub is the worst experience one can live through.

RIP the 32 team format.

Edited by JoetheRam

I'm really not fussed. I can usually get into the whole event but I've got other things I need to focus on right now.

I'm sure it's a big deal in Wales.

I hope we see an African nation light up the tournament. Especially given some of the attitudes prevalent in the middle East towards Africans.

But just, meh 

And of course MotoGP has been going to Qatar for years and F1 had a race there, so really FIFA are almost behind the curve on getting petrol-dollars from a regime with some questionable (at best) behaviours...

8 minutes ago, David said:

Kalvin Phillips and Conor Coady would not have bothered with, still not impressed by Jack Grealish either 

I’ve been impressed with Grealish. He is the best ball-carrier in the team.

He just doesn’t get the goals or assists that Foden gets so is criticized for being useless.

He is like Simon Dawkins.

If there's any manager who picks favourites it's Gareth Southgate. There's no way Phillips should be near the squad, hasn't kicked a ball for six months. Just shows as well the manager doesn't pick talent who play in Europe. Bellingham I guess is the exception but you'd have to be a bit dense not to take him.