World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

1 hour ago, CWC1983 said:

If you qualify you'd fancy your chances of 2nd. 

I don't think we ???????, have ever played England in a competitive game outside of the UK. 

We should get 2nd but not going to  over hype till we qualify.

We have the ticket for the play off final.  Hope its Scotland  we play as it would make mends of Joe Jordans cheating goal in 77

26 minutes ago, OUTSIDER said:

We should get 2nd but not going to  over hype till we qualify.

We have the ticket for the play off final.  Hope its Scotland  we play as it would make mends of Joe Jordans cheating goal in 77

If we beat Ukraine I should be OK for a ticket as well, assuming its a decent allocation. 

Mind you, I'm not sure the Ukraine game will go ahead in June, we'll wait and see. 

I think it's a real 50/50 game if we play each other, a lot will depend on any injuries to certain key players, Bale / Ramsey / Tierney / McGinn. 

Must admit, I fear revenge for the JJ goal in 77, but we must be due a result in Cardiff. We've been horsed there so many times in the last 10 years. 

20 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Scotland and Wales should stand down and allow Ukraine to advance to the finals sport is only a game whilst Ukraine are fighting for their very existence 

Tom Hardy Bait GIF

Maybe just give world Cup to them instead... Alan shearer an Co won't be happy tho , they already got England winning the world Cup before the ball is kick... like every WC since 66

?

19 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Wake me up when it’s the last eight.

We should beat every team in our group and anyone we come up against in the last 16.

Surely we would be disappointed with anything else?

Netherlands on paper look like the only team to fear until the last 8 and we probably won't meet them. 

A good test for Southgate’s tournament management acumen. Play the same xi in every game, flat track bully our way through a shockingly poor group, then plod around at 2mph in the quarter final and lose on pens..... ?

22 hours ago, Jourdan said:

My mistake.

Potentially France, Belgium, Spain/Germany, Portugal/Uruguay on our side of the knockout bracket.

France in the last 8, Belgium in the last 4, Argentina or Brazil in the final is a potential route to glory.

Not as easy a route to the final as the Euros. England are good enough to win it. If England can get CBs a bit better than Maguire, Coady,  Mings ans Stones, your boys are amongst the favourites. Need to keep Kane fit as well!

5 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

If England can get CBs a bit better

This is a confusing statement. It’s not like we can go buy a new one in the transfer window, and we’re not likely to find someone we misplaced down the back of the settee. Unless we can genetically engineer a better one by Christmas, we’ve got what we’ve got. 

7 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

This is a confusing statement. It’s not like we can go buy a new one in the transfer window, and we’re not likely to find someone we misplaced down the back of the settee. Unless we can genetically engineer a better one by Christmas, we’ve got what we’ve got. 

Is it? Tomory, Guehi perhaps

Spain had a similar problem and got Laporte from France just before the Euros

You also got a few DMs who might be able to help, Henderson, Rice, Philips. 

As Johnny Freigner it is Not really my concern tbh but just pointed out that you havent got a Terry, Ferdinand or Campbell, they were alright

13 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Not as easy a route to the final as the Euros. England are good enough to win it. If England can get CBs a bit better than Maguire, Coady,  Mings ans Stones, your boys are amongst the favourites. Need to keep Kane fit as well!

A number of things will have to fall favourably - as is always the case-for  the team to win. 

From what I've seen recently, the team looks better with Bellingham in it. Southgate won't abandon the double pivot of rice +1. 

He should have enough players for a decent squad with rotation and flexibility. There are still some positions where we seem to rely heavily on one player being fit tho. 

45 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Is it? Tomory, Guehi perhaps

Spain had a similar problem and got Laporte from France just before the Euros

You also got a few DMs who might be able to help, Henderson, Rice, Philips. 

As Johnny Freigner it is Not really my concern tbh but just pointed out that you havent got a Terry, Ferdinand or Campbell, they were alright

People say Macguire and Pickford are weak links. But we had had one of if not the best defensive record in the euros. Macguire maybe having a tough time at United at the minute, but so is everyone else at United, including Pogba. But France are still going to play Pogba, and England will still play Macguire.

No international team has 11 Messis. If they’re lucky, they’ll have 5 or 6 world class players, and that’s what makes them elite level teams, and the rest will be made of very good players. The best teams have a whole squad of a very good players that work well together. Most international teams have to really start scraping the barrel to fill a 23 man squad. So I’m not expecting Macguire to be the best defender in the world, but I am confident that he is a very good defender.

But you’re right, I’d love it if Tomori stepped up between now and winter. But it would be quite a gamble at this stage to throw someone fairly new into a tried and tested mix. 

Senegal Vs Netherlands is now the opening game of the tournament, kicking off at 10am UK time.

England Vs Iran follows at 1 pm, with  Qatar Vs Ecuador at 4 pm and closing the day with USA Vs whoever at 7 pm.

All games on Monday 21st November. 

2 hours ago, Rev said:

Senegal Vs Netherlands is now the opening game of the tournament, kicking off at 10am UK time.

England Vs Iran follows at 1 pm, with  Qatar Vs Ecuador at 4 pm and closing the day with USA Vs WALES ?at 7 pm.

Jason Sudeikis Good Luck GIF by Apple TV

2 hours ago, Rev said:

England Vs Iran follows at 1 pm, with  Qatar Vs Ecuador at 4 pm and closing the day with USA Vs whoever at 7 pm.

I thought that the ko times would be adjusted to make sure that they don't play during the daytime heat - which could be considerable even in November. 10am sounds like about 3pm Qatar time. I would have thought that it would be a disadvantage to get a 10am kick off. 

I worked & lived 22 years in the Middle East, including Qatar, and the maximum daytime temperature in November and December is no more than 28 Degs.C, with nil humidity, which to a European is a hot summer's day. The later 7.00 pm kick-off will be perfect to play football.

It'll be cooler than when it was held in the USA.

10 hours ago, ImARam2 said:

I worked & lived 22 years in the Middle East, including Qatar, and the maximum daytime temperature in November and December is no more than 28 Degs.C, with nil humidity, which to a European is a hot summer's day. The later 7.00 pm kick-off will be perfect to play football.

It'll be cooler than when it was held in the USA.

Cooler than the Mexican World Cups too.