World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

• 1 month later...

Good news for TAA.

Also, Toney needs to go for his penalties alone. Scored in 29 consecutive penalties.

I don’t even know what his technique is. A slow walk up, but it’s not like he waits for the GK to move, as he tucks it away so accurately it doesn’t matter if the GK guesses right.

It’s bizarrely amazing.

6 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Good news for TAA.

Also, Toney needs to go for his penalties alone. Scored in 29 consecutive penalties.

I don’t even know what his technique is. A slow walk up, but it’s not like he waits for the GK to move, as he tucks it away so accurately it doesn’t matter if the GK guesses right.

It’s bizarrely amazing.

I couldn’t cope with that if I was him. So much pressure on each penalty just to keep the streak going. Even if we’re already winning 4-0, I’d be feeling the pressure. I’d almost want to miss one so the pressure of maintaining the streak is off. 

If they’re both on the pitch at the same time though, who takes the penalties, Kane or Toney?

6 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Good news for TAA.

It’s bizarrely amazing.

TAA might make the squad but Southgate will turn to Trippier first. 

With instability in defence, the 2 dm system will be nailed on I reckon, together with instructions for the wide players in the 3 to track back.. 

It's going to end up as a 4-4-1-1, with less attacking. 

6 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

I couldn’t cope with that if I was him. So much pressure on each penalty just to keep the streak going. Even if we’re already winning 4-0, I’d be feeling the pressure. I’d almost want to miss one so the pressure of maintaining the streak is off. 

If they’re both on the pitch at the same time though, who takes the penalties, Kane or Toney?

Toney has the better record. I think Kane has already missed two this season, one being at Forest.

My maths are pretty good I think...so

"Chelsea confirm that Reece James will be out for eight weeks with a knee ligament injury"

"The 22-year-old will not play for Chelsea again before the World Cup, putting his hopes of making Gareth Southgate's England squad in doubt"

If he's out for 8 weeks...There's no "DOUBT" he aint going.

• 3 weeks later...

Squad announced tomorrow. No Reece James confirmed. Kyle Walker - if included - will not have played ANY football since groin surgery. So who will GS pick in his 26, which (barring injuries at the weekend) will be the 26 to go.

I'll have a go...

1. GK: Pickford, Pope, Ramsdale
  2. FB: Trippier, Walker, TAA, Shaw
  3. CB: Stones, Coady, Mings, Maguire, White, Dier, Tomori, 
  4. DM: Rice, Henderson, Phillips, Bellingham
  5. AM: Mount, Maddison, Gallagher
  6. Forwards: Kane, Sterling, Foden, Saka, Grealish

I'm a bit worried about our defence - Gareth should find a few more to include. I reckon that team could hold Iran..... ?

4 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Squad announced tomorrow. No Reece James confirmed. Kyle Walker - if included - will not have played ANY football since groin surgery. So who will GS pick in his 26, which (barring injuries at the weekend) will be the 26 to go.

I'll have a go...

1. GK: Pickford, Pope, Ramsdale
  2. FB: Trippier, Walker, TAA, Shaw
  3. CB: Stones, Coady, Mings, Maguire, White, Dier, Tomori, 
  4. DM: Rice, Henderson, Phillips, Bellingham
  5. AM: Mount, Maddison, Gallagher
  6. Forwards: Kane, Sterling, Foden, Saka, Grealish

I'm a bit worried about our defence - Gareth should find a few more to include. I reckon that team could hold Iran..... ?

Back in 78 Scotland held Iran as well if my memory still holds true and Scotland actually had some extremely good players ?

26 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Back in 78 Scotland held Iran as well if my memory still holds true and Scotland actually had some extremely good players ?

Allys Tartan Army.....that was their "response" to a disappointing first match defeat by Peru.

Iran must be one of the few remaining national teams that you hardly ever get to see apart from world cups so there is still a sense of the unknown - i suspect they could be well organised and quite tough. Generally short players with little legs as well....

30 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I can’t say I’m excited by the World Cup at all.

Not just with England, but with Mexico too. It’s all a bit meh.

its the timing of it for me.

WCs are normally summer events - fan parks, balmy long evenings, wheel the barbie out and get the lagers chilled.

This one, matches at 10am, 1pm, 4pm and 7pm UK time. The latter 2 will be in the dark, the first one stupid. The second one may chime with a lunchtime bevy admittedly.

Add in the fact its chilly, late autumn and in the middle of an energy price crisis and we're more likely to be watching matches huddled under duvets with hot ovaltine than sat in our football shirts with a chilled can....?

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

its the timing of it for me.

WCs are normally summer events - fan parks, balmy long evenings, wheel the barbie out and get the lagers chilled.

This one, matches at 10am, 1pm, 4pm and 7pm UK time. The latter 2 will be in the dark, the first one stupid. The second one may chime with a lunchtime bevy admittedly.

Add in the fact its chilly, late autumn and in the middle of an energy price crisis and we're more likely to be watching matches huddled under duvets with hot ovaltine than sat in our football shirts with a chilled can....?

Next one won’t be any better times with it being in Canada, US & Mexico.

Quite like the times for this one, be nice to have the sun out, but being laid up it’s perfect, first one I’ll probably watch every game.