World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

Thought I’d create its own thread so we can discuss the draw and build-up.

Anyone who we fancy early on?

I’m trying to work out who would be the most difficult potential group opponents. Germany look the strongest in Pot B, but getting them means we wouldn’t be able to draw another European side. And two teams from the same continent (outside of Europe) can’t be drawn in the same group.

Germany (pot B), Senegal (pot C) and Ecuador (pot D) would be tasty but perhaps a more rounded group would be Mexico from pot B and either Poland or Serbia from pot C plus Ecuador.

USA, Tunisia and Saudi Arabia would probably be the easiest.

52 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Thought I’d create its own thread so we can discuss the draw and build-up.

Anyone who we fancy early on?

I’m trying to work out who would be the most difficult potential group opponents. Germany look the strongest in Pot B, but getting them means we wouldn’t be able to draw another European side. And two teams from the same continent (outside of Europe) can’t be drawn in the same group.

Germany (pot B), Senegal (pot C) and Ecuador (pot D) would be tasty but perhaps a more rounded group would be Mexico from pot B and either Poland or Serbia from pot C plus Ecuador.

USA, Tunisia and Saudi Arabia would probably be the easiest.

I wouldn’t mind Germany or Netherlands in our group. 

I don’t mind any team really. Our slip up will be in the knock out stages if a team can hold us to a draw.

England should win their group but it’s an interesting one with the US and a potential British derby.

Group C looks a tough one for Mexico. Saudi Arabia will be the whipping boys so it will probably come down to a head-to-head with Poland for 2nd spot.

25 minutes ago, OUTSIDER said:

Inevitable to be in same group as England if we qualify  ffs 

CYMRU AM BYTH....

If you qualify you'd fancy your chances of 2nd. 

I don't think we ???????, have ever played England in a competitive game outside of the UK. 

I think the quarter finals onwards has the potential to be a lot of fun.

If things go as expected, couldn’t we face France in the last eight, Argentina in the semi finals, and of course Brazil in the final?

If that happened, no one could argue we have done it the easy way this time.

44 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I think the quarter finals onwards has the potential to be a lot of fun.

If things go as expected, couldn’t we face France in the last eight, Argentina in the semi finals, and of course Brazil in the final?

If that happened, no one could argue we have done it the easy way this time.

My mistake.

Potentially France, Belgium, Spain/Germany, Portugal/Uruguay on our side of the knockout bracket.

France in the last 8, Belgium in the last 4, Argentina or Brazil in the final is a potential route to glory.

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

My mistake.

Potentially France, Belgium, Spain/Germany, Portugal/Uruguay on our side of the knockout bracket.

France in the last 8, Belgium in the last 4, Argentina or Brazil in the final is a potential route to glory.

But it never works out quite as expected and I would say we have three tough group games for different reasons. You say "wake me up when it's the last 8" but that's risky. I think I'll start getting excited come October. Wake me up when September ends...

12 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

But it never works out quite as expected and I would say we have three tough group games for different reasons. You say "wake me up when it's the last 8" but that's risky. I think I'll start getting excited come October. Wake me up when September ends...

I know historically we have made hard work of such draws.

However with the exception of Scotland at the Euros, we have a good recent record of winning the winnable games in tournaments.

I do think if we play anywhere near our potential, we should breeze through the first four games.

Beyond that, anything could happen.