World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

Of course, there are questions to raise about how Qatar got the world cup in the first place, the labour practices used in construction, the civil rights of its citizens (etc etc)... worth remembering MotoGP has been going there for years and F1 signed a 10 year deal to hold a grand Prix there.

In terms of the tournament itself, I always like to think in terms of who is going to be the surprise package, which African team are going to be exciting and who is going to fall out and implode (quite often the Netherlands)

• 2 weeks later...

I learned an interesting fact yesterday.

We we’re invited to take part in the first few World Cups, but decided that the home nations cup was a far bigger event, with more quality.

So we could’ve had more than one title to our names, if we hadn’t have been so stubborn in those early days, as we really were head and shoulders above most teams back then, and would’ve been favourites to win it, if we’d have bothered to enter. 

And as an additional fact to that, they eventually compromised by saying the home nations cup could be a qualifying competition for the World Cup, and the two finalists would go through to the World Cup. But Scotland said ‘we don’t want your pity place, we’ll only come if we win.’ And they lost in final to England, so they didn’t qualify. 

Edited by TigerTedd

9 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

We we’re invited to take part in the first few World Cups, but decided that the home nations cup was a far bigger event, with more quality.

So we could’ve had more than one title to our names, if we hadn’t have been so stubborn in those early days, as we really were head and shoulders above most teams back then, and would’ve been favourites to win it, if we’d have bothered to enter. 

And as an additional fact to that, they eventually compromised by saying the home nations cup could be a qualifying competition for the World Cup, and the two finalists would go through to the World Cup. But Scotland said ‘we don’t want your pity place, we’ll only come if we win.’ And they lost in final to England, so they didn’t qualify. 

How very Scotland.

4 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

I think head and shoulders above the rest might be a bit of a stretch. Yes, England were undoubtedly one of the best international teams, but look at the international records from the time 1930-36 England played 17 times against continental European opposition, winning 9, drawing 3, and losing 5. The form away from home was markedly worse than at Wembley. In my opinion, it was by no means nailed on that an England side from that era would've won the world cup if they'd deigned to compete.

18 minutes ago, Anon said:

I think head and shoulders above the rest might be a bit of a stretch. Yes, England were undoubtedly one of the best international teams, but look at the international records from the time 1930-36 England played 17 times against continental European opposition, winning 9, drawing 3, and losing 5. The form away from home was markedly worse than at Wembley. In my opinion, it was by no means nailed on that an England side from that era would've won the world cup if they'd deigned to compete.

I’ll give you that, not nailed on, but we would’ve been along the favourites. There’s a decent chance, with a fair wind, we would've had another trophy in our cabinet. But we’ll never know. 

either way, we should definitely count any of our home nations cups as better than world cups. 

5 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

I’ll give you that, not nailed on, but we would’ve been along the favourites. There’s a decent chance, with a fair wind, we would've had another trophy in our cabinet. But we’ll never know. 

either way, we should definitely count any of our home nations cups as better than world cups. 

Since there were only 8 teams for the first couple of world cups that's probably a given..... ?

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, OUTSIDER said:

Qatar tickets on sale Wednesday for us late arrivals ??????? and with only 2750 official tickets available it's a scramble for second phase maybe.

Any one here going to Qatar? 

I’m alright mate, I’ve never been to a World Cup but this one doesn’t get me going.

• 1 month later...

For those of us who believe Gareth Southgate is the living embodiment of football genius, it'll be a romp to the final. 

For those of us who are more cynical we're likely to be facing our first tough draw in the quarter final - France. We'll be knocked out having papped ourselves and stuck the whole squad behind the ball to celebrate a 0-0.

?