Eiran Cashin

Comrade 86

1 hour ago, ck- said:

The move that impressed me most was when one of Peterborough attackers looked to have kicked it past him and had a clear run into the area. 
Cashin was having none of that and ran shoulder to shoulder with the attacker for 10-15 yards, and just steered him out of play. I’d been worried about his alleged lack of pace but that put paid to that. 

Spot on with this incidence  - Cashin showed great physical presence but also a steely calm determination. Just what our defence needs.

4 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Colin Todd's many assets included real pace.

Isn't that something missing from Cashin's armoury?

Not knocking him, just going on peoples' comments that've seen more of him.

I agree Toddy had real pace.  Cash is no slouch .

I’m  talking more about his build and stature .

He was magnificent yesterday and has a great future 

3 hours ago, IslandExile said:

To me it was more about his positioning, his ball control, anticipation and good heading ability as well as stature and body shape, but admit that I would need to see more of him to assess his pace v Todd. 

4 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

He is nowhere near as quick as Todd but he is a bit taller and better in the air. In other respects I can see the similarity, Todd was very strong and hardly ever, if ever lost a 50/50 ball. I think Buxton is a better comparison at the moment though

Todd used to have amazing speed off the mark and was able to tackle almost sideways to win the ball .

I agree that Cashin hasn’t got Toddy’s pace but he has great tackling ability is good in the air and reads the game well as Colin did .

Toddy was still learning his trade at Sunderland when Clough signed him without telling Sam for a record fee 

Cashin is definitely as strong as Colin and Jake but with no disrespect to Jake I’d say he will be better in the end .

Jake is training the lad which is no bad thing. 

20 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Todd was one of the finest defenders of his era. Loved Cashin’s debut but he’s got a long long way to go. Good start though ?.

On the pace thing .. Eiran looks quick over the first yard but hasn’t got a top gear. That excellent work he did on the left in the 2nd half showed it. Thought he had him covered, but he got overtaken after a good start. His calm, muscle and strength saved the day but he was almost outrun. Nevertheless he did the job. The goal he scored in that away game was classic CB late run into the box and class bullet header. Time will tell. 

5 minutes ago, jono said:

Todd was one of the finest defenders of his era. Loved Cashin’s debut but he’s got a long long way to go. Good start though ?.

On the pace thing .. Eiran looks quick over the first yard but hasn’t got a top gear. That excellent work he did on the left in the 2nd half showed it. Thought he had him covered, but he got overtaken after a good start. His calm, muscle and strength saved the day but he was almost outrun. Nevertheless he did the job. The goal he scored in that away game was classic CB late run into the box and class bullet header. Time will tell. 

Todd wasn’t always as fast as people think .

Watch the Man City highlights as he gets outpaced.

Also football players are far fitter these days and the game is much faster now 

Rose tinted glasses maybe ! 

PS Roy Mac and Peter Daniel often helped him out. 

Edited by Curtains

16 minutes ago, Curtains said:

So he never got beat then our Colin

You could argue he was at fault for all four of those goals. Brilliant player, my hero, but people tend to forget the mistakes, especially when he tried to dribble his way out of the penalty area when the order of the boot was needed! 

A couple of great Bruce Rioch thunderbolts in there!

7 minutes ago, jono said:

He has scored some great headers at under 23 level. I was a bit frustrated on Saturday as him and Davies seemed to be going for the same ball at corners.

Need to trust Cashin to do his job - he's probably the best person to get on the end of corners and until oppositions realise it we have the element of surprise. 

Looking at that YouTube video what stands out for me is that it seems he's very clear in what he wants to do - win the ball and move it quickly to someone else with simple but well-paced passes. I think that's perhaps where the Jake Buxton similarities are being drawn as he was similar in that way. Personally I like it when players have that mentality. I think that's what TBE drilled into players - he'd tell when what they're good at and focus on that. For example, there was no point in asking Asanovic to defend... or Sturridge to do anything other than be super quick! ? 

When DPFG first signed, he did the same thing - just won it and gave it to someone. Then, in later seasons, for some reason he thought he could actually play football and hence the DPFG moniker...