Eiran Cashin

Comrade 86

As far as I’m concerned, after that performance the shirt is his to lose now.  Obviously he didn’t have that much defending to do, but what he did have to do, he did well.  The most impressive thing though was his passing and composure - he was calm the entire game, never gave the ball away, never mis-controlled it, and was positive when he has the chance to be.  And we look so much more balanced with a left footer on the left too.  

For all the arguments about wanting an experienced defender in there, I’d much rather a calm, composed one that helps us keep the ball and reduces the amount of defending we actually have to do.

Always rated Cashin whenever I’ve watched him the youth teams. Delighted to see him do so well today. He’s got a big of everything, will go far in the game imo. 

Already a better player than Stearman in my view, and probably has been since the start of the season (no offence to RS who has worked very hard and done well when called upon). Shame he hasn’t been involved a bit more, I think he’ll be class once he’s settled in to the team and becomes braver on the ball.

This was the performance of a young man who was closing in on a first team place towards the end of last season, had a promising pre-season then has had to sit on the sidelines while his less experienced teammates in more advanced positions got their chances. 

There's eight months' frustration gone into today's game. 

What a fulll debut and there's more to come from him. He's a great competitor.

"I thought he was magnificent," Rooney said.

"It is a lot more difficult to put a young lad in at centre back than it is an attacking player, so he has had to be patient with that.

"Lee Buchanan could have played, but I didn't want to risk him.

"I had trust in Cash to come in and do a good job. He has probably done better than I thought he would, if I am being honest.

"In the air, we know he gives everything, even down to the block at the end. On the ball his passing through the lines was good, stepping in at times.

"It was a perfect full debut."

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-peterborough-cashin-rooney-6689749

As said before earlier, he looked good in preseason and any under age games I've seen. Good with the ball at his feet, physically strong and although not the tallest he was very good in the air. Opposition today didn't lose much of a threat but handled the occasion very well.

Irish football in good hands with the Derby youngsters coming through.

Great debut. Well done lad.

2 hours ago, Kenavo said:

Does he stay in the team ahead of Stearman vs Millwall?

As a few others have already suggested, I'd be looking at him in a back 3. Obviously Stears has an experience edge on the lad but it's very hard to drop a player who comes in and does such a good job. I'm really looking forward to seeing how he goes in the tougher games ahead, but he seems a sound lad and I think he'll cope well. Even in the youth teams he always looked a decent player in the making but today was something of a revelation. Thank God for the academy set up, is all I can say! We owe Messrs. Wassall, Lyons and co a serious debt of gratitude for providing what seems like an endless stream of talented, level-headed young players. We'd already be dead in the water without them.

The move that impressed me most was when one of Peterborough attackers looked to have kicked it past him and had a clear run into the area. 
Cashin was having none of that and ran shoulder to shoulder with the attacker for 10-15 yards, and just steered him out of play. I’d been worried about his alleged lack of pace but that put paid to that. 

Saw him pre-season at Notts County and I was impressed. Today he looked like he’d been playing for 10 years, that’s probably the best compliment anyone can give him. Outstanding. Reminded me of Riggott’s first start where straight away you could see he was a good player.

Edited by BramcoteRam84

10 hours ago, Donegal Ram said:

As said before earlier, he looked good in preseason and any under age games I've seen. Good with the ball at his feet, physically strong and although not the tallest he was very good in the air. Opposition today didn't lose much of a threat but handled the occasion very well.

Irish football in good hands with the Derby youngsters coming through.

Great debut. Well done lad.

Here’s a health to you Eiran Cashin.

May the wind be always at your back!

1 hour ago, ck- said:

The move that impressed me most was when one of Peterborough attackers looked to have kicked it past him and had a clear run into the area. 
Cashin was having none of that and ran shoulder to shoulder with the attacker for 10-15 yards, and just steered him out of play. I’d been worried about his alleged lack of pace but that put paid to that. 

I saw that too. He’s quick off the mark but maximum speed isn’t quite there. Thought he’d been done, but he stuck to him like glue. Didn’t just stop the cross, used his strength and got the goal kick in to bargain. The Other one was, a couple of times he won a header in front of the 18 yd line, didn’t just head it anywhere, he managed to put something on it so it found a white shirt. He has quality and like the other young ones will get better with every game he plays.