Poll: Do you think Boro & Wycombe will take Mel on?

RoyMac5

Will the chancers take on Mel?  

301 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I seriously doubt that they'll take this away from the main debate and leave us alone. I think they (Boro and Wycombe) will try to keep this focussed on DCFC and will prefer to angle for keeping us bleeding and try to force a compromise deal as it gets some money with less risk than an all-or-nothing court case.

1 minute ago, kevinhectoring said:

It’s silliness  MM is saying ‘sue me in the High Court’ and we all know the claim is against DCFc not MM 

But it is a start. He needs to indemnify the club against the claims. 

Gibson keeps mentioning Morris in his poorly worded rants/statements. The EFL would look really biased now if they sided with Gibson and the pressure from MP's could force Parry to do the right thing even though his masonic bum chum Gibson would blackball him from the swingers/golf/tennis/sacrificinggoats clubs.

39 minutes ago, Red Ram said:

This exactly. Their claim is against Derby County not Mel Morris. They are legally separate entities and were even when Mel was the owner. That's what a limited company is for!

The problem with this suggestion is that Gibson and Couhig have sought to enjoinder Morris in the dispute with DCFC, explicitly calling for him to meet with them in mediation. He's either a part of their claim, or he isn't. They opted for the latter and can't claim the former now without appearing compromised. 

Ultimately, it will reveal their true purpose and could well prove their bad faith in the dispute. There's no easy way for them to avoid public ridicule and opprobrium if they refuse his offer. 

2 hours ago, Rev said:

Neither will take up the offer.

Instead, they'll point to arbitration as a simpler, cheaper and quicker way to resolve the issue.

This and the fact that their claim may not be recognized as a football debt meaning that they will not get 100p in thr pound. They'll wriggle out of this one way or another because going to court is highly uncertain and will certaily cost them. Letting it fester under the EFL costs nothing

55 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

It’s silliness  MM is saying ‘sue me in the High Court’ and we all know the claim is against DCFc not MM 

But it is a start. He needs to indemnify the club against the claims. 

Yes. So the question is why didn't Mel offer to do exactly this instead of issuing this personal challenge? Perhaps because there's much more financial risk to him if he indemnifies the club against the claims?  As you say it's the club that the claims are being made against not MM. In which case the 'sue me the high court statement' may be something of an empty gesture because they couldn't realistically be pursued against him personally anyway.

1 hour ago, Dimmu said:

Credit for Mel, that move was unexpected but has to be applauded.

My guess is that Gibson is too deep into this whole matter and also take it personally so he won't back down. Couhig might be able to do  unemotional and cogntive decision and disappear into nothingness he came from.

Credit for Mel. WTF. He is like a criminal who attends court pleading not guilty. He puts the families through hell and then at the 11 th hour, with the writing on the wall. Changing his plea to guilty to try and get a reduced sentence. In this instance though, he hasn’t pleaded guilty. Merely offered the other side a costly and time consuming way to prove him guilty. I don’t think there is any chance they will take up this “ offer”. When they can continue to bleed us out with the backing of the EFL

I’m also starting to think this is a PR exercise as just can’t see Boro and Wycombe going for it. What we need is for the EFL to be strong (yeah right) and say you pursue these claims separately. They’ve been given a pragmatic get out and MPs and the government will have seen this. Problem is this get out won’t be in their rule book. I think Boro and Wycombe will push for arbitration and the only way out is for Mel to indemnify against the claims - unless the EFL suddenly develops a backbone this weekend.

I should say while it is a PR exercise it is a very good one that was much needed to change the dynamic so fair play to Mel - but this would be a lot easier if you paid your debts!

Edited by BramcoteRam84

Whilst I voted that neither tapeworm would accept his kind offer, a part of me wonders whether Curly would be so incensed by MM's statement that his ego wouldn't be able to resist.

MM could possibly keep putting out statements regarding the EFL and the parasites until the noise becomes unbearable for them.

Edited by Ewetube
Double word

As a few people have said- I don’t think there is a legal basis on which Boro and Wycombe can take Mel Morris, as an individual, to court for the actions of a corporate entity (DCFC). I’m no lawyer, but I believe that is basically why limited liability exists. Mel will know this.

If Mel really wanted to put on his superhero cape, he would have offered to indemnify the corporate entity against any loss from the future court cases. Then I think we might have seen the impasse broken.

Nonetheless- there are a lot of people who won’t fully appreciate the nuances, so this move does put Gibson/Couhig under pressure from a PR perspective. If they turn down Mel’s offer, it will certainly look to most people like they are running scared and trying to unnecessarily damage the club’s prospects of survival.

On the other side of the coin, if they accept Mel’s challenge, surely they will lose in a High Court case? Surely? I think their prospects of getting any money are much reduced in the High Court as opposed to an EFL arbitration- particularly considering the additional cost/time to a court case.

So whilst Mel hasn’t quite gone as far as he could have done, it is a smart move from a PR standpoint.

Another twist in the saga- when this is all over, can someone please write a book about it?! There’s enough material!

Edited by Sussex Ram
Addition

9 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

I don't think they'll take the offer up but what Mel has done is give the EFL an opportunity to save face.

The EFL should be all over this.

With all the complicated legal aspects of this case....I think most neutral people will think that Mel saying 'I want to do this in the High Court not via an EFL led arbitration' makes sense and gives him the moral high ground.

12 minutes ago, Sussex Ram said:

As a few people have said- I don’t think there is a legal basis on which Boro and Wycombe can take Mel Morris, as an individual, to court for the actions of a corporate entity (DCFC). I’m no lawyer, but I believe that is basically why limited liability exists. Mel will know this.

If Mel really wanted to put on his superhero cape, he would have offered to indemnify the corporate entity against any loss from the future court cases. Then I think we might have seen the impasse broken.

Nonetheless- there are a lot of people who won’t fully appreciate the nuances, so this move does put Gibson/Couhig under pressure from a PR perspective. If they turn down Mel’s offer, it will certainly look to most people like they are running scared and trying to unnecessarily damage the club’s prospects of survival.

On the other side of the coin, if they accept Mel’s challenge, surely they will lose in a High Court case? Surely? I think their prospects of getting any money are much reduced in the High Court as opposed to an EFL arbitration- particularly considering the additional cost/time to a court case.

So whilst Mel hasn’t quite gone as far as he could have done, it is a smart move from a PR standpoint.

Another twist in the saga- when this is all over, can someone please write a book about it?! There’s enough material!

I can't pretend to know the legal intricacies or viability of MM's offer. 

I do agree with you that his statement has shifted the narrative away from the co-ordinated EFL/M statements and in doing so has heaped bad PR on the EFL & M/WW.

His statement laid bare the hypocrisy within the EFL where certain loopholes are apparently ignored while exploiting others is "systematic cheating", depending on the perpetrator.

I'm glad he called out the sanctimonious smoggy twerp for his own use of loopholes to allow his club to comply with P&S.

I certainly don't think MM's statement has compromised our position in any way, but may well prove pivotal.