Only one team?

MickD

I am reading (digitally) a book called "What you think you know a bout football is wrong" by Dr Kevin Moore, founder of the excellent Museum of Football in Manchester. If you have not read this I can recommend that you do.

In one chapter he claims:- 

"Most fans are not loyal to one club – they play the field
The idea that most fans are loyal throughout their life to just one club is a complete myth. In the myth, the young fan (always a boy), aged five or six (or even younger), is taken to his first game by his father, and immediately swears total and unquestioning allegiance to his father’s team for the rest of his life. And it was his grandfather’s team, and his father’s before that, back to the foundation of the club. But of course, this is completely untrue. Those fans who claim to be undying in their support are often lying, and have dabbled with other teams – not least when they are youngsters in school, when, due to peer pressure, almost every child has to support one of the big clubs."

How about you? And be honest.  

I first watched the Rams at the BBG in 1958, but in the early 60's followed Spurs as a second club mainly because of Jimmy Greaves.

Came to football supporting later in life than most but never had feeling for any team other than Derby County. Always liked Motorsport, when I was little, be it F1 or rallying or touring cars or superbike, but never when I was little took football as anything other than the school yard kickabout.

It was moving away (only to uni, in Swansea) that did it.

I've "liked" or been fond of or looked our for others based on places I've lived or people I've known. But no. Nothing.

If you're going to start calling out 5 or 6 year olds for liking the flasy team then really it's a bit rubbish.

9 minutes ago, MickD said:

I am reading (digitally) a book called "What you think you know a bout football is wrong" by Dr Kevin Moore, founder of the excellent Museum of Football in Manchester. If you have not read this I can recommend that you do.

In one chapter he claims:- 

"Most fans are not loyal to one club – they play the field
The idea that most fans are loyal throughout their life to just one club is a complete myth. In the myth, the young fan (always a boy), aged five or six (or even younger), is taken to his first game by his father, and immediately swears total and unquestioning allegiance to his father’s team for the rest of his life. And it was his grandfather’s team, and his father’s before that, back to the foundation of the club. But of course, this is completely untrue. Those fans who claim to be undying in their support are often lying, and have dabbled with other teams – not least when they are youngsters in school, when, due to peer pressure, almost every child has to support one of the big clubs."

How about you? And be honest.  

I first watched the Rams at the BBG in 1958, but in the early 60's followed Spurs as a second club mainly because of Jimmy Greaves.

What sort of doctor is he?

A GP?

One club. Got taken to a match, loved it, saved my pocket money for 6 months every year to buy my juvenile season ticket, walked from Ilson to the BBG if I couldn't get a lift.

Does going to watch Grimsby a few times in 70s count?
It was only when I couldn’t get to see the rams, and my gran lived there.

other than that no, I haven’t even got a least worst team.

and my dad took me to the BBG when I was 5 and put me in the boys end, and my first away game when I was 8, St. Andrews 1970.

and his dad supported The Rams, not sure about his dad though, he died in the first war.

F1 was my first love. Think cos I was crap at football I didn’t follow it straight away, had my first Derby kit when I was 5 but didn’t really follow it until 92/93 season, captivated by the magical commentary of Graham Richards. Went to my first game when I was 9. Sat in Normanton End Lower, Craig Short scored 2 headers as we beat Oldham 2-1. Then went to 2 or 3 more games before got my first season ticket the first season in the premier league, last season at the BBG - think that’s still my favourite season supporting the Rams. 

Born and bred in Derby. Dad and his side of the family were all Derby. But my mum is a Manc and was United (since converted to the Rams), uncles and auntie United, Gran was city and Grandad was a Newcastle fan (Durham born). Could’ve supported any one of those clubs, yet never did.

Always one club. I know a fair few though who were United or Newcastle at school and are now Derby. Most hilarious was one who was Forest then got a season ticket at Derby right behind me when we were promoted!! Wonder if he’s switched back since?!

No other dalliance personally, but I think this is a generational thing. My lad was a Rams fan until he was about 11, but in truth it was always unfair for me to push that upon him, particularly as neither I, or any of my family have ever lived within 100 miles of Derby. I think it was the step up to senior school, and therefore a new wider circle of friends that led him to another team. He still has the same 10 best mates now, all of them supporting either Liverpool, Chelsea, Man U, Spurs or Arsenal. I think he came under pressure to follow one of the new pack, but at least bulked from the easy route of glory hunting, and plumped for Fulham. At the time I was disappointed, not that I told him, but now I am very pleased. It is good he has his own identity and choice, and can go more easily to see his team regularly. 

1 minute ago, i-Ram said:

No other dalliance personally, but I think this is a generational thing. My lad was a Rams fan until he was about 11, but in truth it was always unfair for me to push that upon him, particularly as neither I, or any of my family have ever lived within 100 miles of Derby. I think it was the step up to senior school, and therefore a new wider circle of friends that led him to another team. He still has the same 10 best mates now, all of them supporting either Liverpool, Chelsea, Man U, Spurs or Arsenal. I think he came under pressure to follow one of the new pack, but at least bulked from the easy route of glory hunting, and plumped for Fulham. At the time I was disappointed, not that I told him, but now I am very pleased. It is good he has his own identity and choice, and can go more easily to see his team regularly. 

Like you my boys have always been>100 miles from Derby. I told mine it was their choice but I would never go to a match or buy merch for another team. I thought my youngest would waiver when he was about 10-12 but now seems to enjoy the contrariness of being a Ram and is so disdainful of glory hunters. 

Always a Ram, grew up as an armchair fan in the 70's as we were poor, worked Saturdays from 14 until I started at RR in 1984, and then I was able to pay my way and get to the BBG in the season we finished the lowest in our history, 7th in division 3, King Arthur's 1st season, went to a few home games in between playing Sat afternoon then the last 2 away games of the season, Orient and Newport, that was it, didn't miss any game for the next 5 1/2 years and what an amazing journey through the divisions, from that lowest point to where we should have qualified for Europe in 89 if it wasn't for the scousers getting us banned....

But....

I did attend the 1 and only domestic football match where the Rams didn't play during that spell, so does that count? To keep my unbroken run I had to get to Luton away when away fans were banned.... so I became a Luton member, the fixtures then had us there in Feb I think, and I realised I'd be rumbled if I didn't activate the membership until my local club (DE postcode...) was in town half way through the season, luckily, they had a game on August BH Monday v Arsenal and we weren't playing, so off I went with a mate that had done the same, became token Arsenal fans when we were there as allowed to take 2 guests in each, loads Arsenal outside trying to get in and we were more than happy to oblige when they approached us, made a few Bob as well as they overpaid for the tickets when we told them why we were there..... ended up amongst 2-300 Arsenal in the  middle of the terrace. I think in the Feb, there were about 40 Rams in there, nothing was going to stop me going back then, that included Freight Rover trophy on Tuesday nights etc