Only one team?

MickD

4 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Like you my boys have always been>100 miles from Derby. I told mine it was their choice but I would never go to a match or buy merch for another team. I thought my youngest would waiver when he was about 10-12 but now seems to enjoy the contrariness of being a Ram and is so disdainful of glory hunters. 

I’ve given you a like, but it was a bit harsh telling them you would never go to a match or buy merch for another team!  I think your youngest more likely got their contrariness from you ?

Can't remember ever having an interest in another team either. I don't remember any kids in our area growing up who supported other teams, though there must have been a few Man U fans around back then. It wasn't until I left school that I even got to know anyone who didn't support Derby. 

Rams fan since mid eighties, that will never ever change. I did live in Genoa, Italy back in 1999 and watched Sampdoria, and really enjoyed it despite seeing them get relegated. So I sort of added a team in a foreign land for a while .. I only keep an eye out for their results now. Too much hard work and emotional investment following the Rams! 

Never had an interest in any other team apart from maybe Stafford Rangers when I was very young.

I must admit to one deviance from the true bloodedness of Sheepshagicity though. I liked players from other clubs.

I could never boo Bobby Charlton or Bobby Moore, probably add Gordon Banks to that as well. Geoff Hurst was another.

World Cup Winners got a free pass back then.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Ask for your money back.

I can see that most here do not agree with the sentiment expressed in this chapter.   However most of his research in other chapters is well backed up by statistics and facts.  The one about corruption and cheating in football, under our current situation, is very interesting.  Mel is by no means the first. ?

Taken to my first Derby match in 1966..never ever contemplated supporting another team..my old man worked with Colin Boultons dad so we knew the family back then..went to all games home and away..went to as many European away games as I could..since those glory days I have followed my club with the same 100% dedication and passion through thin and thin..

Never lived in Derby. Brought up in West Bridgford! But my parents are both Derby, and I shared a season ticket with my older brother with our dad taking us to alternate home games, from when I was 5 or 6. Got one each a couple of years later. Only ever one club. 

There is no "brand loyalty" stronger than your football club. It's the example used by the top branding experts in the country. The guy is talking nonsense. 

But it isn’t solely to do with passing fancies. You may have moved several hundreds of miles and decided to go and watch your  new local team. So you are just being practical. You are allowed to support more than one team! I’m not talking about a Derby fan who moved to Nottingham, or a Spurs fan who moved from North London to South London. If you wouldn’t ever consider supporting your adopted local team, in a different part of the country,  even after decades, maybe the reason is you don’t actually care much for the sport. That’s leaving aside those who don’t even support their local team, but another, for whatever reason. 
Some people are really not that tribal. It’s a form of entertainment at the end of the day. 

Throughout infant & Junior school, I recall having an interest in both Spurs and Everton.  Not at the same time, but can't remember which order they came in.  Nor can I recall any reasons as to why.  History does not appear to show them as being particularly prolific through the latter 60's/Early70's, but I think they both won "something" during that time, so maybe I was a typical glory hunter?  The limit of my interest would have been a sports bag for my PE kit, with their name & crest emblazoned on them.  Plastic ones, obviously!  Cheap, certainly. Off the Open Market next to the bus station, no doubt.  Counterfeits, I think they call them today! 

I'm pretty sure I joined the masses at The Council House in '72, so maybe that was when my initial interest kicked in?

No family were into football, and it was my neighbour who took me, as a 12 year old, to the 0-0 draw with Carlisle, where I witnessed that magnificent trophy being carried around the pitch in that glorious sunshine.  That was my first game.  I lost count long ago of how many games I've since attended, and can certainly count on one hand how many games I have attended that didn't involve The Rams.

So yes, strictly speaking, in my case, I guess this Dr Kevin Moore, is right.  I was a child!  I knew no better.  I am deeply sorry!  

FJe_P8GXoAY3bL7.jpg

Edited by Mucker1884

9 hours ago, MickD said:

I am reading (digitally) a book called "What you think you know a bout football is wrong" by Dr Kevin Moore, founder of the excellent Museum of Football in Manchester. If you have not read this I can recommend that you do.

In one chapter he claims:- 

"Most fans are not loyal to one club – they play the field
The idea that most fans are loyal throughout their life to just one club is a complete myth. In the myth, the young fan (always a boy), aged five or six (or even younger), is taken to his first game by his father, and immediately swears total and unquestioning allegiance to his father’s team for the rest of his life. And it was his grandfather’s team, and his father’s before that, back to the foundation of the club. But of course, this is completely untrue. Those fans who claim to be undying in their support are often lying, and have dabbled with other teams – not least when they are youngsters in school, when, due to peer pressure, almost every child has to support one of the big clubs."

How about you? And be honest.  

I first watched the Rams at the BBG in 1958, but in the early 60's followed Spurs as a second club mainly because of Jimmy Greaves.

Only one club for me. DCFC forever

Always been a ram  apart from .........

A very brief stint of 2 days when Rioch went to Everton 

And i can remember sitting under me mums table and saying who ever wins this match i support soley ( was really a ram but i  think i was testing them pmsl ) it was against Arsenal away of all things lol and we won 3-2  pmsl . 

Do we have to be honest - I feel dirty

I was always Derby County number 1

but I did kind of follow Everton - I supported them in the Everton Watford final as a 13 year old when they were underdogs and it wound my Dad up who is aLiverpool fan.

As Derby slipped into that desperate time - it was nice to have someone to watch on TV and to be fair I did really like that team.

Loved Southall, Reid, Ratcliffe and Andy Gray (are you still allowed to say that ?)

This is back before live football on TV kids in fact I remember from that time period returning from playing football and running up to my mate in front of us at the traffic lights to give score updates because their car did not have a radio. I believe Sheedy had scored a late FA Cup Semi Final goal.

It was still Arthur Cox and looking for the Div 3 results first though

10 hours ago, MickD said:

I am reading (digitally) a book called "What you think you know a bout football is wrong" by Dr Kevin Moore, founder of the excellent Museum of Football in Manchester. If you have not read this I can recommend that you do.

In one chapter he claims:- 

"Most fans are not loyal to one club – they play the field
The idea that most fans are loyal throughout their life to just one club is a complete myth. In the myth, the young fan (always a boy), aged five or six (or even younger), is taken to his first game by his father, and immediately swears total and unquestioning allegiance to his father’s team for the rest of his life. And it was his grandfather’s team, and his father’s before that, back to the foundation of the club. But of course, this is completely untrue. Those fans who claim to be undying in their support are often lying, and have dabbled with other teams – not least when they are youngsters in school, when, due to peer pressure, almost every child has to support one of the big clubs."

How about you? And be honest.  

I first watched the Rams at the BBG in 1958, but in the early 60's followed Spurs as a second club mainly because of Jimmy Greaves.

What a load of rubbish! 

In Professional football I have only ever watched Derby county thank you very much and England live with 2 exceptions once when we played Luton on a Friday night I had to travel to Brighton on the Saturday with a work colleague who insisted on the way we watched his team Sheffield United play at Charlton - I wore my Derby shirt in the away end !  ( in the premiership) and I also watched Brazil play the Ukraine at pride park 

if Derby fold I will only watch England as football will have died 

Edited by Sparkle