Only one team?

MickD

I once said I supported Man Utd for about half a day when I was 6. I got told I wasn't allowed to sleep under our roof if that was the case.

So if that counts then yeah I've had two teams.

Derby's been in our family since at least my Grandfather's Uncle Stan went in the 30's. My Grandfather tells me Stan was a big advocate of Jackie Stamps - reckoned he had a shot like cannonball.

21 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Came to football supporting later in life than most but never had feeling for any team other than Derby County. Always liked Motorsport, when I was little, be it F1 or rallying or touring cars or superbike, but never when I was little took football as anything other than the school yard kickabout.

It was moving away (only to uni, in Swansea) that did it.

I've "liked" or been fond of or looked our for others based on places I've lived or people I've known. But no. Nothing.

If you're going to start calling out 5 or 6 year olds for liking the flasy team then really it's a bit rubbish.

Completely with you. I was a motorsport boy. I knew about Jackie Stewart, Francois Cevert, Jim Clarke, Jack Brabham. Later Hunt Laura Peterson. Even Fangio Trintignant and Gonzales before them, but they were legends that Dad and his mates talked abou. …. Climax, Colombo, Cosworth …. DVF, V12, H16 whatever . I consumed it like nectar. Carbs spitting un burnt fuel from the trumpets. …. Have you ever heard the 16 cylinder supercharged BRM at full chat .. I have, spine chilling.

Then as a teenager I went to Old Trafford on a whim with my Grandad. I was a red inside the first seconds, it lit a fire I didn’t know I had. I saw them beat DCFC at Hillsborough and now, whenever it’s mentioned on here I feel secretly guilty. Screamed with delight at the treble still keep an eye on them and want them to win every game … Unless is V Derby County who took me in when I moved here in the 1990’s and formally adopted me in 2014 and have given me the  pain, pleasure and camaraderie that all you lot are part of. 

15 hours ago, Rambam said:

But it isn’t solely to do with passing fancies. You may have moved several hundreds of miles and decided to go and watch your  new local team. So you are just being practical. You are allowed to support more than one team! I’m not talking about a Derby fan who moved to Nottingham, or a Spurs fan who moved from North London to South London. If you wouldn’t ever consider supporting your adopted local team, in a different part of the country,  even after decades, maybe the reason is you don’t actually care much for the sport. That’s leaving aside those who don’t even support their local team, but another, for whatever reason. 
Some people are really not that tribal. It’s a form of entertainment at the end of the day. 

I know what you mean but for me, I love live competitive sport. I lived in near Manchester I went to a United game and found a team to follow. I moved to Derby 20 years later … life was never going to get me to United on a regular basis, it was logical to try your new local team out so I did and have loved it ever since. I don’t have divided loyalties. Head to head I am a Ram. I still have some Lego in the attic just as I have Man United. Fond memories but I’ve changed.