Urgent Question on DCFC in Parliament

EulogyForEvolution

Just now, ollycutts1982 said:

Wow the support we seem to have in parliament is very good to see. Hopefully it is more than words. 

Indeed. The sub for the sports minister being pinned down. Sub giving usual flannel “ we are discussing with EFL blah blah blah”

Margaret Beckett: "He said in his opening remarks that nobody wants to see the club go under. Well, some of us are beginning to wonder."

I want to hear something strong from the Minister on this soon. He isn't there, but he has to come out strong on it. Great to hear the contribution from Julian Knight MP, too, saying that the EFL should show decency after relying on a bailout themselves.

Really good, moving and admirable points/questions being raised, the message seems to be those involved in the process need to find a solution that works for all parties (“pragmatism” being the buzz word) and then a bigger conversation about the obvious need for independent regulation of football. The focus is being put on the EFL, the admins, and the clubs to fix our situation.

My take away from this is that the Government won’t at this moment in time directly get involved in things,  clearly the increased conversation and exposure is having an effect though, I think we’re finally reaching the point of a solution being found, I have no idea what that will be and fear there may be some more pain to come with ultimately the club surviving beyond this season. 

Extract from Parliament running order:

14:16:19

Chris Philp MP, The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (Croydon South, Conservative)

14:13:41

Mrs Pauline Latham MP (Mid Derbyshire, Conservative)

14:09:52

Chris Philp MP, The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (Croydon South, Conservative)

14:09:32

Urgent Question: To ask the Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport if she will make a statement on matters of EFL (English Football League) governance surrounding the administration of Derby County FC.

Rt Hon MP Margaret Beckett & Pauline Latham both asked Chris Philip to review the EFL's handling of current issue, with two further mentions of pushing forward the Fan led review to have a Independent regulator for football (which hopefully will gee the EFL up)

Margret Becket finished by stating if the EFL let Derby fail to continue "they will never be forgiven"

Overall, a very impressive plea on behalf of DCFC for the EFL to help resolve the current impasse.