Who would you let leave?

Crazy

The window is open, and we're not in a good state financially. So it seems outgoings are more likely than incomings. Obviously there are a lot of unknowns (will will get any money from a preferred bidder, how bad the finances are, whether players want to leave or not) but who do you think should let leave?

For me:
- Marshall: hopefully will go somewhere on a free transfer. I can't see him playing for us again. Any of the big clubs in need of an aging 3rd choice keeper?
- Baldock: probably won't get a new deal, partly due to the emergence of Plange.
- Lawrence: reportedly on the highest wages at the club, and I don't think he's value for money. If we could get a 7-figure fee that'd be a great deal, for someone with 6 months left on his contract. Even for a lower fee, it'd save over half a million in wages.
- Buchanan: if he was fit I don't think he'd get back into the team at the minute. So for a reasonable offer (£2-3m?) ), I'd let him go (but preferably to anyone but Forest).
- Bird or Knight. This pains me to say, as I think both players are great, and I'd love to see them in a Derby shirt for years to come. But they are our most saleable assets, and we could manage without one of them, especially with Bielik coming back. So anything close to a Hendrick-sized offer to a lower Prem club I'd have to say yes. Unfortunately, our finances mean it is more likely to be a Hughes-sized offer, which I would love us to reject (though maybe we won't be able to).

9 minutes ago, Crazy said:

The window is open, and we're not in a good state financially. So it seems outgoings are more likely than incomings. Obviously there are a lot of unknowns (will will get any money from a preferred bidder, how bad the finances are, whether players want to leave or not) but who do you think should let leave?

For me:
- Marshall: hopefully will go somewhere on a free transfer. I can't see him playing for us again. Any of the big clubs in need of an aging 3rd choice keeper?
- Baldock: probably won't get a new deal, partly due to the emergence of Plange.
- Lawrence: reportedly on the highest wages at the club, and I don't think he's value for money. If we could get a 7-figure fee that'd be a great deal, for someone with 6 months left on his contract. Even for a lower fee, it'd save over half a million in wages.
- Buchanan: if he was fit I don't think he'd get back into the team at the minute. So for a reasonable offer (£2-3m?) ), I'd let him go (but preferably to anyone but Forest).
- Bird or Knight. This pains me to say, as I think both players are great, and I'd love to see them in a Derby shirt for years to come. But they are our most saleable assets, and we could manage without one of them, especially with Bielik coming back. So anything close to a Hendrick-sized offer to a lower Prem club I'd have to say yes. Unfortunately, our finances mean it is more likely to be a Hughes-sized offer, which I would love us to reject (though maybe we won't be able to).

Can go:

Marshall, Baldock (sorry Sam), Roos (Foulkes is a good enough for the bench if we can get the EFL to let him play).

Maybe:

Buchanan, Lawrence.

That's it.

7 minutes ago, Crazy said:

For me:

Roos may be off too, contract is up in the summer.

Sibley not in the squad, Rooney doesnt seem to fancy him.

We will need to think about Bielik and Jozwiak but that would mean taking a hit on the fees we paid for them. 

Agree on Knight and Bird. Keep if we can. I think Knight may the more sellable, being a full international whereas Bird inexplicably has not represented his Country at any level.   

Marshall - obviously 

Baldock - basically because he doesn’t look like he is ever fit or able to score 

Hutchinson - probably on loan 

no one else to be honest 

stupidly large bids obviously considered 

worth noting that Rangers just sold a 20 year old reserve right back for up to £16 million to Everton - I am sorry but the standard in Scotland doesn’t suggest that cost even if he has played for Scotland!

• Lawrence - huge wages and should get a reasonable fee
  • Bielik - ditto
  • Joz - similar
  • Marshall - as not playing
  • Buchanan - should get a fee and we have plenty of cover
  • Baldock - not good enough so we can save on wages

Between them the money raised and the wages saved we should survive as a club for long enough to get a deal over the line and that's all that matters.

Bielik - no idea if he will come back the same player, but not sure if anyone else would take a punt.

Roos / Marshall - for better or worse in our situation,  one keeper who we trust in is fine. 

Sibley- personally I would keep him but Rooney obviously doesn't fancy him.

Lawrence- has been better this season but easiest player we could offload and who is out of contract anyway.

Shinnie - good battler but hasn't been missed recently.

Morrison - looks decent at times but end product isn't great

Joz - as above 

Basically keep the dogs of war (Curtis, Stearman, Fozzie, Jags) and all the youth.

It's less about but who I'd let go and more who I'd actively fight to keep. 

The battle I'd pick is trying to aggressively hold onto anyone who's come through the academy. If we can hold onto as much of them as we can they will give us a platform to build on top of next season that's cheap to maintain and will provide more much value down the road. We'd get an absolute fraction of what is possible to fetch in a stable state 6-12 months down the road. Money that could be propel us out of league 1 and eventually the championship.

Financially it just makes more sense to keep hold of that group provided two conditions; we are not completely forced by finances and someone isn't actively pushing to go.

Knight, if a prem team came in with a decent offer.

1) he deserves his chance and we can’t hold on to these players until their value is all but lost

2) it’ll bump up the price/reputation of future academy products that we need to get as much money as possible for.

3) As it stands, I’m not sure the first 11 is actually set up to suit him and we have enough back ups to cover 

He’s a fantastic player btw, it’s just we need the money and he needs a career not preparing for League 1

2 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

We have a squad full of players breaking their backs to keep us in the Championship and we need to glibly list those we would let go to keep ourselves amused? 

Totally agree..every player here wants to fight to keep us here and make history..they all have earned that opportunity. We have been told we don't need to sell so we won't unless there is a very good reason to do so.

Marshall must go for his sake and ours if at all possible. Baldock I'd release with Plange coming through and I presume Stretton to come back in...he's willing but lacking the tools for the job now.

I'd fight to keep the rest together, short of a silly bid. May not have the option though.

If one of the youngsters had to go, then obviously Sibley has been on the edge of things...but he's got so much potential I'd hate to see it.