Bristol City next to fail P and S ?

WystonRam

Came on here to see what the opinion was.

From a football fan point of view I mean Bristol City no harm, apart from getting 6 points per season off them.  Mr. Ploppy on the other hand deserves to eat every bit of humble pie he may be served.

For me the EFL need to be consistent and investigate thoroughly and apply appropriate sanctions if required. It is interesting however that it seems  covid can be blamed for large losses but apparently can not be used to explain us going into admin due to the owner being unable or unwilling to keep putting money in due to similar losses.

This situation again shows the incompetence of the EFL, and the immediate requirement for an independent football regulator.  I wonder if Bristol will now be labelled cheats or face legal action from other clubs with curly hair or American chairman?

When faced with gloating fans from other clubs, I have always said to them that they need to be careful as the EFL could be after them next.  So we have had us, Reading, and now potentially Bristol.  Is this the start of the dam bursting?

11 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

P.s. this isn't about the individual on their forum who attracts attention from some on here. An irrelevance at best but I suspect he/she may have some 'issues'.

I beg to differ, This Popodopo fella has a following, He shoots his mouth off with numbers and "facts" which he clearly knows nothing about, Those with little knowledge of our circumstances start to agree with him, For the simple reason he comes across as very knowledgable when in reality he knows bugger all, Those that take the bait then tell their fellow mates down the pub, Who then tell their mates at work, Who then tell their family and the whole "football world hates us"

Now there is those and there is a good few outside of PP that...not Maguire as he gets his education from this board, That understand where DCFC are at, We've accepted our punishment(reluctantly)Reading have accepted theirs, Now it's all those others that called us "CHEATS" turn to accept their punishment, Do I have sympathy for the ordinary fan...what is the ordinary fan?

My sympathy lies with those honest enough to understand where DCFC is/was, And not with those simpletons who jumped on the DCFC bandwagon of cheating.

3 hours ago, Crewton said:

That character is probably the most vehement about wanting DCFC to be liquidated and I thought his post was glib and a touch delusional. I've noted that Mr Ploppy, whilst clearly being obsessed with us, has said he doesn't want that, though he has said some pretty offensive things about MM & SP (obviously), DCFC as a club and us as a fanbase. 

There's a substantial hardcore of them on OTIB who, I think, are using our situation as a personal distraction from yet another season of disappointment for BCFC. It's convenient. 

He did say that mate, then retracted when it became apparent his venomous disdain had shown his true colours.  

2 hours ago, Andrew1 said:

Came on here to see what the opinion was.

From a football fan point of view I mean Bristol City no harm, apart from getting 6 points per season off them.  Mr. Ploppy on the other hand deserves to eat every bit of humble pie he may be served.

For me the EFL need to be consistent and investigate thoroughly and apply appropriate sanctions if required. It is interesting however that it seems  covid can be blamed for large losses but apparently can not be used to explain us going into admin due to the owner being unable or unwilling to keep putting money in due to similar losses.

This situation again shows the incompetence of the EFL, and the immediate requirement for an independent football regulator.  I wonder if Bristol will now be labelled cheats or face legal action from other clubs with curly hair or American chairman?

When faced with gloating fans from other clubs, I have always said to them that they need to be careful as the EFL could be after them next.  So we have had us, Reading, and now potentially Bristol.  Is this the start of the dam bursting?

Stoke have been allowed to write of 30 million due to covid as it stands. 

12 hours ago, David said:

The Bristol City fan coming on saying Lansdown isn't Mel Morris, he's an accountant, the guys losing almost half a million a week and has been for 10 years!

The same one who openly admits he hasn't a Scooby on his own forum and has rather a differing opinion to that trundled out on here

Twas always going to be so. And for the avoidance of doubt I’m not so sure I’m as glad as some are to have the Messiah. Oh **** me, here he goes again…..

He might have deep pockets. He might have a stand named after him. He might be loved by the many.

But he’s the reason we’re in this ******* mess. He’s the monkey at the top of the tree. He’s the Ultimate Beneficial Owner who carries the can and the one who makes the decisions.

How can someone who’s clearly so successful elsewhere make such a **** up of our football club.

But Steve, Mrs Steve and Steve Jnr are ok. They have ultimate control. And a fixed charge over the whole shooting match. And everything else in BS3……

In Steve we trust?

3 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

I beg to differ, This Popodopo fella has a following, He shoots his mouth off with numbers and "facts" which he clearly knows nothing about, Those with little knowledge of our circumstances start to agree with him, For the simple reason he comes across as very knowledgable when in reality he knows bugger all, Those that take the bait then tell their fellow mates down the pub, Who then tell their mates at work, Who then tell their family and the whole "football world hates us"

Now there is those and there is a good few outside of PP that...not Maguire as he gets his education from this board, That understand where DCFC are at, We've accepted our punishment(reluctantly)Reading have accepted theirs, Now it's all those others that called us "CHEATS" turn to accept their punishment, Do I have sympathy for the ordinary fan...what is the ordinary fan?

My sympathy lies with those honest enough to understand where DCFC is/was, And not with those simpletons who jumped on the DCFC bandwagon of cheating.

I meant he had little bearing on my view. He may well have annoyed you & others but I think you're overstating his influence. He's a total nobody posting drivel on a club forum read by a handful of zealots & gives the air of someone needing professional counselling to deal with his anger issues.

The general Bristol fanbase grievance will have come from media misreporting & then extrapolated that into believing we were responsible for denying them a playoff spot in 18/19 by 'cheating'.

Edited by LeedsCityRam

4 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Who is this Popodopo fella that is talked about,not their owner cause he is the man who owns Hargreaves Lansdowne,a big financial institution,please enlighten me

15 hours ago, Rev said:

You/We should be talking about our strikers useless left foot, why on earth our talented youngster isn't getting more minutes, and which players GRANNY the manager is shagging!

Instead we debate methods of amortisation, extending contracts to meet P&S rules, and spend time trawling Companies House and land registry records.

FTFY☺️

History will show that we did nowt worse than at least a dozen clubs. Ours was made worse by a concerted effort by several parties to force the EFL  to investigate us more thoroughly and for far longer than any other wrongdoer. 
Not saying we did nowt wrong, just weren’t treated the same as the others or failed to get promotion to get out of it that way. 

Ive got nowt against Bristol Ciry but Mr Poppadopanonce can choke on his own bile    as far as I’m concerned. 

Worth noting that the accountant owner has allowed Bristol city to lose £412,000 per week for ten years ! - so he maybe isn’t that clever? 
worth noting that he also borrowed the covid loan that we were denied - I suppose he will have to pay that back at some point ! 
I wonder when the EFL will stop owners writing off loans into shares because isn’t that just manipulating the guidelines? 
I don’t think they know that Chris Martin holds the option of another years contact yet which I am sure he will take to maintain his salary. 
a few thoughts to share even for the Bristol followers 

19 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Not sure if your good friend Mr Pops has replied, but we (I’m a City fan) are still well inside FFP for the cycle ending with these accounts.

Dont forget 19/20 and 20/21s losses are halved and added together….plus we made a profit in 18/19 of £12m.

They are a crap set of accounts, we are over the lower limit of £15m (3 year cycle) so will have to provide future projections for 21/22 and 22/23…which to be fair we possibly were anyway.

So, no points deductions due I’m afraid.

As for 21/22 (this season) we’ve already wiped circa £12-13m off the cost base, which might improved further if we move on some of the high earners like Palmer in this this window.  Therefore we will also pass this season’s FFP cycle limits too.  That’s without trying to guess what our covid allowances will be…probably £10m.  That means we probably go into next season in a safe position too.

By 23/24 season (18 months away) our Amortisation costs will be less than £1m.  We have been proactive by letting 10+ players leave in the summer.  We re-signed Baker and Weimann on half their salaries, in Weimann’s case we avoided taking his year option at £20k p.w. and we smoothed out £10k p.w. by giving him 3 years.  9 goals and 4 assists is proving smart business.

Steve Lansdown is not Mel Morris.  He’s an accountant who has lived his life under financial regulation, he isn’t about to be a hypocrite by failing FFP.

Stephen Pearce is an accountant , so are the auditors who signed off our accounts. And we didn't fall foul of financial regulators, just the EFL who frankly are a rule unto themselves. 

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Bristol city to lose £412,000 per week for ten years ! - so he maybe isn’t that clever? 

The last 6 seasons the best they have reached is 8th in the Championship. Losing 412k a week for 8th.

We've been losing money by the week, no high horse to sit on, but you could argue we at least came close to promotion.

Beat Villa and the rest is history. 

The counter argument will be that we cheated, by that token so did QPR when they beat us at Wembley but you haven't seen us crying like others have, I don't recall any justice for Derby campaigns from league rivals back then.

Our crime was initially for selling the stadium, the valuation which didn't sit right with others successfully defended, but what we did was use a different amortisation method where again no rules were actually broken, was just decided at a later date having signed off our accounts that yeah we don't like that actually. They wanted to punish us for whatever they could simple as that.

The Championship is broken, under the current system the Premier League would become a closed shop, those that come down bounce back up. You may get the odd one to break through but you're asking clubs to compete with clubs in receipt of parachute payments, how when they are also trying to ban the most lucrative sponsors as well, gambling firms.

These rich owners have nothing to gain from owning a Championship club, what has Lansdown or Morris actually got out of owning a football club?

It's a mugs game it really is, that Lansdown is losing in a week what 20 fans combined earn in a year. 

The small number of Bristol City fans over on OTIB are waving their axes in the wrong direction, they should be towards the EFL and PL, they have the duty of care and right now it's not sustainable.

They are one man away from administration like us and many in this league, we are not the enemy but another example of how the game is broken.

If they feel comfortable with Lansdown not pulling the plug, great, enjoy it. But there are many Derby fans that felt the same comfort just a few months ago, things can change quickly and would only take another lockdown to seriously financially challenge another club into submission. 

The next 12 months I predict we will see deductions for clubs into double figures.

With regards to HMRC we're getting hammered for, the unpaid bill is wrong, very wrong I doubt you will find a Derby fan to suggest otherwise.

I'm still a little unsure how we managed to rack up such a debt when we saw Forest hauled into the courts by HMRC on a regular basis under Fawaz.

Was it 20 years ago Leicester were in a similar situation, sold and go on to win the Premier League, not going down the whataboutery path, but you have to question how are we seeing repeat situations 20 years down the line?

Anyhow that's me done in this topic, as I say previously I wish the real Bristol City fans good luck, I hope it's not serious and you avoid any sanctions. 

Also please don't let Chris Martin come back, seen a tortoise cover more ground in a year than he does in 90 minutes. 

I am sure the EFL will apply all of their rules, whatever they are, fairly and even-handedly. I am also sure that Wycombe and Boro will be suing Bristol City for the points they took off them by cheating. These things are near certainties because anything else would show a little bit of a vendetta against Derby which definitely can’t be the case.

Poor Bristol City. A two year transfer embargo whilst all this is sorted out followed by a points deduction. The EFL have no agenda with any football club so this has to happen. I am also presuming that the legal action against Reading from those two hard done by clubs has also begun. It probably hasn’t been reported yet.

Such a shame but these things are done fairly aren’t they so it is sadly inevitable. Poor City. 

Bristol will be fine as I expect Lansdown will stand behind them unlike Mel who did the unthinkable. But it shows the pitfalls of the benefactor model in an era distorted by parachute payments making it a grossly unfair playing field. FFP isn’t working as a measure of control. All Derby and Bristol (and other clubs) have tried to do is compete, everyone is at it and if the EFL are consistent in their approach based on how they have dealt with our case then I’m expecting points deductions for half the league. We have been given no allowance for Covid we’ve been forced to cut a deal as we’re trying to get out of administration. Why should other clubs?! It stinks! 

All I want is fairness and consistency. I don’t wish other clubs ill but we’re being made out as cheats of the century and several fans of other clubs have revelled in our demise so if they they’ve broken FFP whatever revenue is lost to Covid - ducking penalise them.