Would our current squad challenge for promotion from League One?

Bris Vegas

Would our current squad challenge for promotion from League One?  

136 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So let’s face it we’re going down.

But should we manage to retain a number of our current squad, how confident would you be of a top two finish in League One?

Ipswich, Sheffield Wed and Sunderland aren’t exactly having it their own way down there.

The lack of creativity in our current squad needs addressing big time. 

Regardless of what league you are in, to get promotion you need to score goals. The type of survival football which we have played this season won’t cut it.

I must admit I’d be quite excited to see the likes of Festy and Sibley as regulars in a front-foot team where they can be released from the shackles a bit. 

Other than the strikeforce i think the current squad would definitely challenge if we actually used our attacking players properly. The likes of Lawrence, Joswiak, Sibley and even Ebosele would have a field day down there. Bielik would drag us up into contention just by himself

I would think it would be competitive, because players gain confidence and they will have more opportunities in a lower division. It's likely that some would exceed expectations, others wouldn't have the impact we would hope. 

League One isn't as physically demanding as some think, small technical players often do well - Jorge Grant and Brennan Johnson are two who were impressive at Lincoln last year. Young lads on loan from Forest, both small and technical players. I'm not 100% and it's a purely half-baked opinion, but I would also have to assume that the general conditioning at that level is worse than the Championship. 

We don't know what we will look like going into next season, but I would definitely expect to be competitive if we were in League One with this squad as of this moment. 

45 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I must admit I’d be quite excited to see the likes of Festy and Sibley as regulars in a front-foot team where they can be released from the shackles a bit. 

I would be excited too, but the current management team have a pathological dislike and lack of trust in Sibley, which smacks of downright unfairness, given how shocking Lawrence and Waghorn were last season (and Joswiak).

The team are winning very few football matches and that can become a habit that is hard to break. If we can keep some of our better youngsters, bring in a bit of experience and some fire power; with a new Manager that can motivate the players, instil some confidence and show some tactical awareness, who knows, we might be challenging ?

3 minutes ago, sage said:

It's irrelevant. Due to age and finances this won't be our squad. 

Of course there would be changes. But I can see several players sticking around, even some of the older ones like Jags, Davies, Forsyth and CKR.

The only players I can definitely see going are Lawrence, Jozwiak and Bielik.

If we can afford to keep Knight, Bird and Buchanan I think they may stay.

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

Of course there would be changes. But I can see several players sticking around, even some of the older ones like Jags, Davies, Forsyth and CKR.

The only players I can definitely see going are Lawrence, Jozwiak and Bielik.

If we can afford to keep Knight, Bird and Buchanan I think they may stay.

Jagielka is retiring at the end of the seaaon. 

Also we don't know who will replace the outgkijng players. 

If you are saying we make no new signings and lose out best players then no we wouldn't get promoted. 

Happy now? 

Edited by sage

No chance with this squad. Poor goalkeepers plus can the centre backs give us another year? I’m not sure. However as a few have mentioned sadly we just don’t have the fire power upfront to do enough for a promotion push from any league.

3 minutes ago, JMC said:

I'd be more concerned about going down to league 2 to be honest. 

If anyone sees fit to clear our debt with HMRC, that is one thing. Taking emotion out of it, HMRC represent us all so they owe us absolutely nothing. Fair enough.

If we somehow get past that stage, the same new lucky owner then has to agree a CVA or it’s another 15 points deduction in league 1.

It’s real and it’s grim.

No.

The low expectation / underdog tag has helped us out this season leading to a few points being picked up unexpectedly, but when it comes down to the games which should in theory be more winnable we often don't turn up, or even worse self destruct.

In League One there will be a target on our backs every game, we'll be expected to win more than we lose & draw combined even with the current squad. You won't often get teams who show you soem respect and allow allow you to play, you'll get teams the likes of which we've struggled to perform against in The CHampionship the past 2 seasons.

A team in League One with CKR & Baldock up top, Shinnie in CM and Davies at CB would still be considered one who should be challenging, even if on experience alone.

Obviously there will be big changes to the squad, but we'll someone have to rid ourselelves of this inability to deal with the pressure of expectation, no matter who the players are.

We'll be coming up against some very experienced managers who've been working at that level for years, who know all of the tricks of the trade; managers who've seen Championship teams come down before thinking that they'll stroll back up before and know exactly how to deal with them.

Some of those managers may never get a club promoted, they may be on the League One merry go round forever  but they know how to cause a few upsets; if they come up against a manager who thinks he can run before he can walk they'll have him for breakfast. That's my main concern.

Edited by Coconut's Beard

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Not as of present. I think we're pretty lightweight for league one, we lack pace and power. And the obvious in a few strikers. 

Ebsolele has both pace and power. If Plange and Stretton kick on then they should be good enough for league One strikers I think. Although Stretton seems to get injured a lot. 

18 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Ebsolele has both pace and power. If Plange and Stretton kick on then they should be good enough for league One strikers I think. Although Stretton seems to get injured a lot. 

One player with pace and power isn't enough. What if Ebosele is injured or off form? We need more. You can't go a full season relying too much on young strikers as well. We need more firepower, league one isn't an easy league.