Would our current squad challenge for promotion from League One?

Bris Vegas

Would our current squad challenge for promotion from League One?  

136 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

So let’s face it we’re going down.

But should we manage to retain a number of our current squad, how confident would you be of a top two finish in League One?

Ipswich, Sheffield Wed and Sunderland aren’t exactly having it their own way down there.

The lack of creativity in our current squad needs addressing big time. 

Regardless of what league you are in, to get promotion you need to score goals. The type of survival football which we have played this season won’t cut it.

I must admit I’d be quite excited to see the likes of Festy and Sibley as regulars in a front-foot team where they can be released from the shackles a bit. 

We won’t have our current squad next season, let’s see if we survive and what we are left with 

1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

As good as our OAPs  have been playing in the defence, we'll need to replace them come next season.

So them and a couple of strikers, will be the minimum we'll need to add to our current squad.

I think those two would be fine in league one for us and rather important   

To challenge at the top of the table you have to be able to attack and take the game to your opponents. You need verve and creativity. The whole team should live for the thrill of scoring goals. 

The longer we keep playing in an opposite fashion with defensive mindset, the less likely it is we'll be able to change. Who knows what will happen in January, and if the players and/or manager will be here afterwards, but whoever is here they need to declare it a mini season and set the team up to play the sort of attacking football that might see us promoted.

Right now we probably have a squad capable of challenging. I'm very doubtful we will be in that position after the transfer window.

I don't know if the current squad would compete in League 1 to be honest, but it's immaterial because the current squad won't look anything like the one that would start next season. 

It's going to be tough regardless of who's around though. Winning (and losing) does become a bit of a habit, and if next season starts slowly, then it's going to be very difficult to turn it around. 

I'm surprised how many think a squad which has only lost 7 and conceded 21 in 21 Championship games isn't good enough to challenge for promotion from League 1.

Hull won the league last year, strengthened in the summer, and would still be behind us in the table if we didn't have any points deducted. THIS SQUAD would compete for for the title. However, it would be a different answer depending on which players stay at the club next season.

On 05/12/2021 at 17:53, sage said:

It's irrelevant. Due to age and finances this won't be our squad. 

I don't know where we will be once the dice have stopped rolling, although it now seems to be more of a rolling car.

If we go down the squad will be completely unrecognizable by this time next year.

At this rate will be ransacked in the January transfer window.

For me right now success will look like League One mid-table respectability with a sensible owner watching the pennies.