Need an owner and quick, a total reset and build for League One

IslandExile

I'm sure the wrist slashes are out in force tonight but it's been obvious for a while now.... We need a total reset.

First and foremost - let's stay in business. Number one priority - get a new owner and as soon as possible.

Points deductions.... The squad is so poor, we'd struggle to avoid relegation even without a points deduction. That could be offset slightly by Bielik's return and acquisitions of forwards in January but, by then, it may be too late anyway.

So let's accept whatever points deductions the EFL want to throw at us, on condition that they're imposed this season. Then it's over and done with.

Assuming then that we're going down, let's start building for next season in League One.

That means blooding the youngsters that will still be with the club. Not playing each one in every game, not leaving out all the old pros. But giving each young'un experience alongside a mentor. For example Cashin playing with either Davies or Jagielka.

Assuming Bird, Knight and Bielik will go, playing Watson alongside Shinnie and Morrison. That kind of thing.

Rooney has been really dignified throughout these nightmare months but the jury is still out for him tactics wise. After the last couple of games, there are question marks against his motivational ability too. I wonder what Curtis was referring to regards the training sessions.

But anyhow, Rooney is the magnet for investors and deserves "a go" with a clean slate.

So let's put the bad stuff behind us, and start building this club up again. Even if it means losing the current crop of good young players and starting in League One.

One thing for sure, the support is fantastic. The fans deserve a club going forward, not sinking further into the mire. Let's get the crap out of the way. Move on up. COYR ?

Edited by IslandExile

28 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I'm sure the wrist slashes are out in force tonight but it's been obvious for a while now.... We need a total reset.

First and foremost - let's stay in business. Number one priority - get a new owner and as soon as possible.

Points deductions.... The squad is so poor, we'd struggle to avoid relegation even without a points deduction. That could be offset slightly by Bielik's return and acquisitions of forwards in January but, by then, it may be too late anyway.

So let's accept whatever points deductions the EFL want to throw at us, on condition that they're imposed this season. Then it's over and done with.

Assuming then that we're going down, let's start building for next season in League One.

That means blooding the youngsters that will still be with the club. Not playing each one in every game, not leaving out all the old pros. But giving each young'un experience alongside a mentor. For example Cashin playing with either Davies or Jagielka.

Assuming Bird, Knight and Bielik will go, playing Watson alongside Shinnie and Morrison. That kind of thing.

Rooney has been really dignified throughout these nightmare months but the jury is still out for him tactics wise. After the last couple of games, there are question marks against his motivational ability too. I wonder what Curtis was referring to regards the training sessions.

But anyhow, Rooney is the magnet for investors and deserves "a go" with a clean slate.

So let's put the bad stuff behind us, and start building this club up again. Even if it means losing the current crop of good young players and starting in League One.

One thing for sure, the support is fantastic. The fans deserve a club going forward, not sinking further into the mire. Let's get the crap out of the way. Move on up. COYR ?

Sad, but probably the way forward

31 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Good post apart from the wrist slashers comment ?

35 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Yep. Said as much somewhere else, so have to agree. 

3 minutes ago, Philmycock said:

Sad, but probably the way forward

Yeah.

It shouldn't have come to this but it has, so let's bite the bullet, take what's coming and move on.

I see folks clinging to the hope that Bielik will soon return, that we'll sign Harry Kane in January and make the points up.

But I think we should be realistic. Only then, can we really start to rebuild.

4 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Good post apart from the wrist slashers comment ?

I thought folks would just accuse me of writing all that in the "heat of the moment" after we had lost what was deemed a must win game.

But, I was trying to distance myself from those that do post negatively after any defeat. This situation has been years in the making and wasn't born at Oakwell.

Why should we start the reset in League one. If we get a result this week with the appeal on the 12 points. We get new owners in place before January all bills are paid, embargo is lifted, Bielik is back and at his best, we have a natural goalscorer smacking them in from January until the end of the season. The 9 points for FFP does not materialize during this season, the team have still have 30 games to play.

52 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Why is Rooney the ‘magnet’ for investors?

The name, the brand doesn’t matter if he hasn’t got the skills to back it up.

And that's still to be proved, in the year that he's been in charge, it's been transfer embargo's, free transfers, loans, points deductions, covid (no fans in stadium to urge the team on), Injury to key players (Bielik, Knight etc), loss of fitness coach and the list could go on. If Messi was to hang his boots up this season and become coach of Notts County, the investors would also be knocking at the door even though he would be a novice coach.

Famous footballers attract sponsors/monies. Qatar are paying Beckham £150m to be one of their ambassadors for next years world cup. 

10 hours ago, IslandExile said:

I don't think the management team has given up yet. Clubs have turned it around from worse points positions.

I think they will keep trying to scrap for points until they "know" we are going down.  However that comes - more points deductions, Bielik not returning after all, no new owner in sight, another six weeks without a win. 

Then you'll see what you want. Rooney himself has already talked about it. The EFL will probably fine us for it, though.

In the meantime, I think the club has a moral duty to keep trying to get out of the bottom places.

I think it’s heading this way but despite the obvious negativity and deflation from last night and the recent poor performances, it is too early to throw the towel in now. We should re-assess at Christmas when we will know exactly the situation on ownership and should have more clarity on points deductions. 

We gain some points back on the admin appeal in the next two weeks and it all changes again.

I still have hope we won’t be having a re-set in league one but it’s hanging by a thread. 

11 hours ago, IslandExile said:

It’s far from certain we’re going down and our best performances show that we have plenty of ability to keep in touch with the pack until January and Bielik’s return. The problem with what you suggest is, I don’t think it’ll work for Rooney. I think he (his team) will understand that failure in league 1 on that model is a real possibility and that it would consign WR to a place in the sun 

How exactly do you build for league 1?

It’ll be kids and journeymen like we have now. Our journeymen will be a year older and our kids have lost confidence. Who, that is any good, will come to a club in division 3. This idea that we can build for a lower division and bounce back is very risky. It didn’t work for Paul Jewel and we are still trying to get back after 13 years.

We need to try everything possible to hold on to our Championship status I really hope Wayne can turn it around but I don’t think he has the experience to get us out of a dogfight. We were really fortunate to stay up last season and it wasn’t down to any great escape orchestrated by the manager that we did. I see signs now that we are slipping back into the old ways

All I hope is that we are still in touch by the time the new owner comes in and we do something about it.

20 minutes ago, 24Charlie said:

How exactly do you build for league 1?

It’ll be kids and journeymen like we have now. Our journeymen will be a year older and our kids have lost confidence. Who, that is any good, will come to a club in division 3. This idea that we can build for a lower division and bounce back is very risky. It didn’t work for Paul Jewel and we are still trying to get back after 13 years.

We need to try everything possible to hold on to our Championship status I really hope Wayne can turn it around but I don’t think he has the experience to get us out of a dogfight. We were really fortunate to stay up last season and it wasn’t down to any great escape orchestrated by the manager that we did. I see signs now that we are slipping back into the old ways

All I hope is that we are still in touch by the time the new owner comes in and we do something about it.

Blimey - that's some serious wrist slashing! It's not an idea to build for a lower division and bounce back - we have no choice! The OP is obviously right, give the kids the experience - that's the only positive we can take from it. Remember positivity? ? 

4 minutes ago, Raich Carter said:

Blimey - that's some serious wrist slashing! It's not an idea to build for a lower division and bounce back - we have no choice! The OP is obviously right, give the kids the experience - that's the only positive we can take from it. Remember positivity? ? 

I’d love to know what’s positive about giving up and accepting relegation, as some posters are advocating.

Edited by 24Charlie

12 hours ago, IslandExile said:

All it would take is three wins on the trot, a player finding form and the whole attitude will change, the confidence would return. Birmingham have just done that, Blackpool and Middlesbrough did, and Millwall, Peterborough and Forest have won a few to push themselves right up the table. Right now Hull, Derby, Barnsley, Reading, Bristol City and Cardiff are on dreadful runs. If this team was to give up now, build for next season I can't see an investor arriving or this management sticking around.