Fireworks

Day

On sale from 15th October, think of the animals, the old people, the ex forces with PTSD, buy a Derby ticket instead, got a ticket? Buy a shirt, got a shirt? Buy me a shirt.

Do you know how many animals fear for their lives when you buy a Derby shirt? 0, not even a Guinea pig.

It's a woosh and a bang followed by a few seconds worth of lights. 

That bang is anti social, it's also telling your neighbours you don't care about Derby County, is that what you want? 

If you really want to experience fireworks this year, have an argument with your partner so they slam the door, then light a sparkler and make woosh noises as you wave that sparkler around.

7 hours ago, David said:

On sale from 15th October, think of the animals, the old people, the ex forces with PTSD, buy a Derby ticket instead, got a ticket? Buy a shirt, got a shirt? Buy me a shirt.

Do you know how many animals fear for their lives when you buy a Derby shirt? 0, not even a Guinea pig.

That bang is anti social, it's also telling your neighbours you don't care about Derby County, is that what you want? 

If you really want to experience fireworks this year, have an argument with your partner so they slam the door, then light a sparkler and make woosh noises as you wave that sparkler around.

I thought the shirts were tested on animals? But they found they were too big and the animals looked a bit silly wearing them. 

I wouldn't be so bad if they capped the hours you could use them.  There's always nob-end thinking 10pm is optimum time for a display.  Have anyone popping them off after 8 o'clock open to prosecution.

My mutt absolutely hates them and we tried everything to make it better for him drops, wrapping up nice and tight in blankets, turning the telly right up to drown out the noise.  Last year we heeded to science and got some great meds from the vets, but at £40 a pop it's a frustration we can do without.  When I went to collect them they were telling me that a few years ago the most popular medicine for dogs simply paralyzed them so they couldn't move or bark, but were fully conscious and aware of what scared the crap out of them.  How barbaric is that?!?!??!?!?

Edited by ramsbottom

Well said @David

My staffy is nervous for weeks afterwards, even when the fireworks have stopped (until New Year!) same time every day she starts to anticipate the next set of fireworks.

I wish they'd just not have the BANG in them then everyone who wants to can enjoy them without upsetting animals & people.

12 hours ago, David said:

Laughed because of the eloquent language, not because I disagree.

Silent fireworks only, please.

The party that makes it so would get my vote!

5 hours ago, mozza said:

Our dog is already getting apprehensive about going out for a wee when it's dark, she knows what's coming, bless her..a

Same, we have a house at the back of us that have built some outdoor space, sit out there at night with some firepit. Their right to, but the smell is already stopping my dog going out.

Weird how they remember the smells and to fear this time of year.

39 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Trick or Treat (WTF is that all about anyway), Guy Fawkes, Diwali all within a few weeks of each other, crap time of year. My mum was petrified during Trick or Treat.. 

Trick or treating is worse than Fireworks.

If I had kids I wouldn't feel comfortable taking them around strangers houses asking for sweets, are they not taught to not take sweets from strangers at school?

Could be laced with anything these days, some right nutcases out there.

And why should anyone sit in darkness or have to ignore bang after bang on the door in their own home. Another anti social tradition that needs to get in the bin.

8 minutes ago, David said:

Trick or treating is worse than Fireworks.

If I had kids I wouldn't feel comfortable taking them around strangers houses asking for sweets, are they not taught to not take sweets from strangers at school?

Could be laced with anything these days, some right nutcases out there.

And why should anyone sit in darkness or have to ignore bang after bang on the door in their own home. Another anti social tradition that needs to get in the bin.

But if you did have kids, you'd probably go along with it through gritted teeth like I do, because if you don't, your kid would be the odd one out. Not a good look at school.

They go nuts for TorT around where we live. Houses decorated in increasing elaborate ways, with sound effects and music. Many home-owners get dressed up to answer the door as well. The kids love it.

The rule is that you don't knock on any door which doesn't have a pumpkin, sign or other kind of decoration outside.

Fireworks, however, can get in the sea. Hate them.

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

But if you did have kids, you'd probably go along with it through gritted teeth like I do, because if you don't, your kid would be the odd one out. Not a good look at school.

They go nuts for TorT around where we live. Houses decorated in increasing elaborate ways, with sound effects and music. Many home-owners get dressed up to answer the door as well. The kids love it.

The rule is that you don't knock on any door which doesn't have a pumpkin, sign or other kind of decoration outside.

Fireworks, however, can get in the sea. Hate them.

I wouldn't. If they really wanted to do it, I would contact friends and family and ask if it's alright if we call round. Either that or hold a party at ours.

I keep hearing about this pumpkin rule, but I've never had one, no decorations at all but still have a good few hours between 5pm and 8pm with the door being banged on.

We have a Ring door bell now, I'll be on that telling them where to go. 

7 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

What really annoys me is the people that think they need to out do everyone else and buy commercial sized fireworks that are totally inappropriate for domestic gardens. If fireworks have to be sold to the general public then there should be a limit on their size.

Not sure what you mean tbh.

I did buy some last year and took this picture, but I wasn't trying to impress anybody.

The second nights were better anyway.

image.thumb.png.ecc772b3693dcae297cbd4a389145924.png

Our dog was never bothered until a couple of years ago when he went out in the garden for a bedtime wee about 10:30pm and someone let off something that sounded like a mortar shell. He’s now terrified. My cats are scared to death. 
I hate them and I’ve lost count of the number of petitions I’ve signed but nothing ever gets done.