Fireworks

Day

We used to get fun snaps, from Alfs' joke shop, them head over to Duckworth centre and hang around the top steps.

We'd wait until some hard looking barstewards were walking below, normally skinheads or punks, then bombard them with the small pieces of paper filled with gunpowder, in order to get a chase through town. 

The thrill of running down the steps to the exit, while simultaneously they were running up to catch us, then pelting through town with them in pursuit was such a buzz.

Eventually we moved on to a five a side game in the ghost tunnel, Spondon.

We'd line up either end of the tunnel, hold the rockets facing each other, then light them and send them on their way.

First one to move was a pussy.

Simpler days, in many ways.

Season well underway. Diwali tonight but we’ve had 10 days practice already Bonfire night to come and that’s another 10 days. Then whatever excuse knob heads have for an artillery barrage through till midnight. Where does the money come from. It’s the festival of light or bonfire …. So why the aural assault ? 
should be a legal maximum decibel limit on items for general sale. 

dog distressed beyond measure. Antisocial louts 

horrible people making a horrible noise for no good reason. 

We've been lucky so far this year, only the odd one going off. Maybe they are all Derby fans and read my posts.

Usually would be like Afghanistan out there by now. Remember though @jono as long as others are having fun that's the main thing.

I love fireworks. Used to spend loads on them, but in my old age I’ve mellowed a bit. A little selection box for the kids is more than enough. 

I actually decided I’d only go to organised shows before lock down. All the money you’d spend on a box of fireworks at home, you could spend on entrance tickets and candy floss and get better fireworks and entertainment. 

then lock down struck and I had go back to the garden, and this year a friend is having us round for the evening. 

but, as much as I love them, I have to admit, they don’t serve any useful purpose. If they were banned for personal use, I couldn’t really argue against it. It’d be like if I was a smoker when the indoor smoking ban came in, or a gun owner in America. I couldn’t really argue against the ban, I’d just have to accept that it was good fun while it lasted.

33 minutes ago, David said:

We've been lucky so far this year, only the odd one going off. Maybe they are all Derby fans and read my posts.

Usually would be like Afghanistan out there by now. Remember though @jono as long as others are having fun that's the main thing.

Teensy bit of irony there @David? ?

Mortars, Howitzers and HE deploying 88mm mobile units are commonplace around Manor Road/Burton Road/Littleover /Normanton border country. 

Having said that we have had 3/4 bad days so far. It has seemed slightly quieter than the last couple of years. 

11 minutes ago, jono said:

Teensy bit of irony there @David? ?

Mortars, Howitzers and HE deploying 88mm mobile units are commonplace around Manor Road/Burton Road/Littleover /Normanton border country. 

Having said that we have had 3/4 bad days so far. It has seemed slightly quieter than the last couple of years. 

You must live in an area that doesn't have public displays on the 5th

4 minutes ago, David said:

You must live in an area that doesn't have public displays on the 5th

Which would clearly make everyone happy and save them the trouble of having to buy their own.

Ahhh a treacle toffee vendor, a blazing bonfire and some ooohs and ahhhhs from the kids at the multi coloured rockets whilst spelling your name with a sparkler. Not quite sure when this Arcadia stopped being the (rarely achievable) goal, to be replaced by blinged oafs, ignorant pillocks  and selfish half wits  “having fun and a bit of a laff innit”

6.01  PM now …. first salvos have begun,  close to Derby Royal Hospital according to intel. 

5 hours ago, David said:

Maybe they are all buying silent fireworks from Asda? ?

As the owner of a rescue dog who is in utter terror for the best part of month this time of year, I'm not a fan.

It's utterly heartbreaking night after night after night as the poor boy shakes and pants for hours. We've tried all sorts. tratments, natural remedies, meds from the vet, thundershirt.

I wouldn't mind if it was one night but it's every day from them going on sale the we get them where I live.

I don't object to people having fun and I don't think there should be a complete ban, but i would like noise limits or silent only for general sale. I also appreciate, it's not most people by any means, but it's become exceedingly popular with antisocial bams here, and it's my dog who is suffering.

52 minutes ago, angieram said:

Maybe they are all buying silent fireworks from Asda? ?

If they are, then I hope they all have a great time with their parties.

They get fireworks, we get peace, everyone's a winner.

Silent for home displays, noisy ones for public displays with a licence, just seems like a great compromise.

9 hours ago, David said:

If they are, then I hope they all have a great time with their parties.

They get fireworks, we get peace, everyone's a winner.

Silent for home displays, noisy ones for public displays with a licence, just seems like a great compromise.

Bet you can’t wait to watch everyone’s fireworks going off for free from your bedroom window can you.

You’ll  be on banger watch all night.

watch him deny it.

Just now, Boycie said:

Bet you can’t wait to watch everyone’s fireworks going off for free from your bedroom window can you.

You’ll  be on banger watch all night.

watch him deny it.

Curtains shut, loud music on to try and drown out the disrespectful anti social behaviour going on. 

I would love them to knock on my door saying the music is too loud, love it I tell you.

love it GIF

I've only attempted to do fireworks at home once. Spent about £50 for a pretty underwhelming "display" accompanied by a mental image of my face being blown off every time I lit one of the bloody things. Never again.

I'm not a dog owner & our cats don't give a stuff but I totally get the objections to fireworks. I've been to and enjoyed organised displays in the past but it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if they were got rid of.

5 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I've only attempted to do fireworks at home once. Spent about £50 for a pretty underwhelming "display" accompanied by a mental image of my face being blown off every time I lit one of the bloody things. Never again.

Boooo!

The kids love it, it's fun, just think of the little ones faces when they find out no fireworks this year.

Even the thought of it brings a tear to my eye and they are not my kids!

3 hours ago, Wolfie said:

I'm not a dog owner & our cats don't give a stuff but I totally get the objections to fireworks. I've been to and enjoyed organised displays in the past but it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if they were got rid of.

An organised display is so much better than a display at home. It’s taken me a while to become mature enough to come to that conclusion, but it’s a no brainer really. Cheaper, better food, no stress, big bonfire, more entertainment for the kids.

Although my dream job would be to be that guy that plans and sets up the display. That ship has probably sailed now though. 

Having said that, we are doing a hike display this year, as it’s my friends first year in her new house, and she’s got a new chimenea she wants to use. But I suspect this’ll be the last time, and it’s organised shows all the way after that, and if fully support a ban on fireworks for personal use.