Rams vs Swansea Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

I agree largely with @jono's view of the game, and for me it was a good point coming at the end of a three game week in atrocious weather conditions. 

It's easy to say after the final whistle, and I can understand Rooney wanting to keep together a winning side as much as he could, but I would have liked to see him use someone with fresher legs to inject some energy into our game from the kick off.

Presumably the intention was to introduce that attacking energy during the second half, but an early injury to Stearman and a much- needed tactical change to a back three meant we had to use more defensive substitutes.

Dylan Williams demonstrated just how important that energy is, another very bright performance from him. Also full credit to the defence, who adjusted well to the changes and still managed to keep another clean sheet. Our defensive solidity is becoming trademark and Allsop contributed to that with another very assured game. Davies in the last ten minutes flinging himself at every header, so determined to keep our record intact. Well done to all of them.

That left just one attacking substitute at Rooney's disposal to try and create a chance on the break. Ebosele was obviously chosen for his pace but I think he is a brilliant wing back in the making, not a forward. I would have brought Sibley on, but I can understand why he didn't! 

The last few minutes I thought the draw would be the fairest result, much as I wanted Festy to score an unexpected winner.

Dust yourself down lads, have a rest and go again in two weeks. You're doing us proud.

30 minutes ago, ram59 said:

I don't know if it's already been noted, but the atmosphere at the ground is so much better these days, as demonstrated at half time. Can you imagine any time in the recent past at PP or probably any other ground, a home team coming off the pitch without a single goal attempt, never mind not being booed, but actually receiving some applause from the home fans, well in the NE corner, anyway?

I think this positivity and togetherness can only help us through these difficult times and long may it continue.

Yeah, we might be a couple of thousand short recently, but from the atmosphere, I think some of them were the moaners that turned up every week to moan for 90 mins that have stayed away. Not great fir the finances, but aren’t missed at the ground. Obviously many positive fans can’t make it atm, and ARE missed ??

Edited by Ruud Aralliss

5 minutes ago, Yani P said:

Was impressed with the generous applause at HT..was far from a good performance but the fans fully appreciate the task at hand....its a long old season..

Fans were great again today 

difficult game to watch, but especially thw last 10/15 mins every block, challenge or chase down that brought us a throw in or some time was roared on

Everyone knows were up against it and its great to see everyone to a man pulling in the same direction 

A bit meh today. At one point I thought Swansea were just kicking the ball out to give us a goal kick to get into a more dangerous position. 
Lawrence missed our best chance and Knight missed our second best chance although he took that long to shoot he didn’t actually shoot and someone nicked the ball off his foot. 
Swansea were pretty good in possession but didn’t really create much.

I am disappointed with how easily we give the ball away.

27 minutes ago, Carnero said:

You mean Dean Moxey (left back) not Trolly who was a 90's midfielder.

Yes that’s it, thank you it was Moxey 

Very impressed with the point today, after the first 15/20 minutes, I thought a draw was impossible

but, its going to take either a very lucky shot, or a worldy for someone to score against us.

I can still remember the game against Boro a few seasons back,  where they got 2 goals from ricochets,

and Martin was shown a red card for simulation, after the ball was in their goal. 

I've not seen anything like that since, thank god...

If we had Mitrovitch we'd probably be in the top 6 now? 

16 minutes ago, DesertRam said:

Very impressed with the point today, after the first 15/20 minutes, I thought a draw was impossible

but, its going to take either a very lucky shot, or a worldy for someone to score against us.

I can still remember the game against Boro a few seasons back,  where they got 2 goals from ricochets,

and Martin was shown a red card for simulation, after the ball was in their goal. 

I've not seen anything like that since, thank god...

If we had Mitrovitch we'd probably be in the top 6 now? 

Think that was Burnley away not Boro 

Here we go with a language lesson: Swansea is Welsh for "players in oceans of space not being challenged for the ball", and that is the key to the match, in my opinion. I was of the opinion that the fans pay for the privilege of standing and watching the football, but it was like a number of the players thought it was their job instead. We improved in the second half with the tactical changes, but we were still not getting any of the second balls. At least we managed to benefit from a defence-splitting pass when Tommy boy had those three shots, but the pass was by a Swansea player.

Very few stood out today, with probably Jason Knight being the pick of the bunch. He started of really brightly, but gut sucked into the general ineptitude and torpor, but was responsible for our first threat on goal, after 38 minutes with a great run and hammered cross, but there was no-one on the end of it. He was our best player second half as well. I also worry about Jack Stretton. He really looks the part as a goal poacher, but we really need to get the ball into his feet for that to actually happen. As on Wednesday, he was regularly in the box in great positions, but the ball never came to him. I feel for him, because that is two games in a row where Tom has chosen not to roll the simple pass to him for a tap in.

Apart from a couple of gaffs, the ref did ok in the first half, and I was almost complimentary about him, but was obviously given his half-time pep talk form his efl superiors because his performance turned. Fozzy's card was warranted, but the other two were obviously a reward for artistic interpretation for magnificent swallow dives (or should that be swan dives?),  as were the copious numbers of free-kicks awarded, and his leniency for Swansea fouls for which he had just booked Derby players. However, he was light years better than Wednesday nights garbage of match officials.

In the end, it was our ability to stand and watch the Swansea players sail past us or pass the ball through us which was our downfall. But its another point on our long road to stuffing the EFL!

A PS to Carl: Morrison and Sibley on together will have to wait - now that Knight is back, it will probably have to wait until we are doen to our last 11 fit players, but here's hoping!

22 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Here we go with a language lesson: Swansea is Welsh for "players in oceans of space not being challenged for the ball", and that is the key to the match, in my opinion. I was of the opinion that the fans pay for the privilege of standing and watching the football, but it was like a number of the players thought it was their job instead. We improved in the second half with the tactical changes, but we were still not getting any of the second balls. At least we managed to benefit from a defence-splitting pass when Tommy boy had those three shots, but the pass was by a Swansea player.

Very few stood out today, with probably Jason Knight being the pick of the bunch. He started of really brightly, but gut sucked into the general ineptitude and torpor, but was responsible for our first threat on goal, after 38 minutes with a great run and hammered cross, but there was no-one on the end of it. He was our best player second half as well. I also worry about Jack Stretton. He really looks the part as a goal poacher, but we really need to get the ball into his feet for that to actually happen. As on Wednesday, he was regularly in the box in great positions, but the ball never came to him. I feel for him, because that is two games in a row where Tom has chosen not to roll the simple pass to him for a tap in.

Apart from a couple of gaffs, the ref did ok in the first half, and I was almost complimentary about him, but was obviously given his half-time pep talk form his efl superiors because his performance turned. Fozzy's card was warranted, but the other two were obviously a reward for artistic interpretation for magnificent swallow dives (or should that be swan dives?),  as were the copious numbers of free-kicks awarded, and his leniency for Swansea fouls for which he had just booked Derby players. However, he was light years better than Wednesday nights garbage of match officials.

In the end, it was our ability to stand and watch the Swansea players sail past us or pass the ball through us which was our downfall. But its another point on our long road to stuffing the EFL!

A PS to Carl: Morrison and Sibley on together will have to wait - now that Knight is back, it will probably have to wait until we are doen to our last 11 fit players, but here's hoping!

On Fozzies yellow I disagree strongly .. right beneath my seat. Fozzy bringing the ball powerfully out of defence with not many options. Half a yard slower than the Swansea player who was catching him up and putting him under pressure. It was two players fighting side by side for the ball, Fozzie was running out of road and stabbed the ball out of play as the only safe option open to him. Maybe, just maybe there was some niggle as they scuffed against each other, maybe just maybe one of them fouled the other but a yellow in either direction was pure unadulterated farce 

35 minutes ago, jono said:

On Fozzies yellow I disagree strongly .. right beneath my seat. Fozzy bringing the ball powerfully out of defence with not many options. Half a yard slower than the Swansea player who was catching him up and putting him under pressure. It was two players fighting side by side for the ball, Fozzie was running out of road and stabbed the ball out of play as the only safe option open to him. Maybe, just maybe there was some niggle as they scuffed against each other, maybe just maybe one of them fouled the other but a yellow in either direction was pure unadulterated farce 

I thought his yellow was for a deliberate handball after Max had given him an awkward pass. I could be wrong - it has been known!